Manually Installing Windows: No Way To Boot "W" In Opencore; Need Expert Help

makk

41 posts in this topic

Guest 5T33Z0

If you are on a real mac you need to use bootcamp to install windows. There are plenty of tutorials available to do so.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:58 AM, jpz4085 said:

Let's start over with this and make sure you have the correct version. Click the link below and select the multi-edition ISO as pictured.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

image.png.312a6533fd803bb579574bde32208b19.png

Once you've downloaded the image file format a USB flash drive as MBR/exFAT then mount the ISO and copy all the files to the USB. You can also extract and copy the ISO contents to the USB using Keka.

Next add the exFAT driver from OcBinaryData to your OC/Drivers folder and config.plist under UEFI/Drivers. Then set the Misc/Security/Scan Policy to 0 temporarily so you can see the flash drive in the OC picker.

Before you attempt to boot the Windows installer see the attached AML files. I have wrapped the macOS ACPI patches in _OSI "Darwin" statements to prevent Windows from using them. The EC and HPET tables should be good to use. The SSDT-4x0G2b.dsl file needs further editing for compatibility. You will need to add Else statements containing the original unmodified code from your DSDT to the Darwin checks for the _PTS, _WAK, BITF, BTST, SBTC, GBTI and GBTC methods. Or at least maybe references to the renamed originals similar to the RDSS/XDSS and _OSI/XOSI methods. Proper ACPI patching is critical to multi booting with OpenCore. If you need further help with that post your original DSDT/SSDT files for reference.

SSDT.zip 7.72 kB · 2 downloads

@jpz4085

here are my acpi's taken in Windows:

Need your help badly!

Thank you again!

54 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

If you are on a real mac you need to use bootcamp to install windows. There are plenty of tutorials available to do so.

@5T33Z0

There have been many successes for Bootcamp on fake macs. I was reading these successes and tried it myself

But due to my current configs setup for to run OC, cannot until I straighten up the boot process.

acpi.zip

Edited by makk
Swapped acpi's after editing names

@makk

I have no idea why you're making things so complicated.

You can create a Windows USB installer via Rufus ( VM or windows ) or in OSX via a simple free app called UnetBootin

https://unetbootin.github.io

OpenCore will see the USB Installer and also Windows in the GUI. 

Only extra driver I use : ext4_x64.efi ( needed for Linux/Ubuntu )

This is not new, it has been discussed multiple times, in this forum, since the beginning of OpenCore.

Look it up in the search, it's not complicated.

ps: for Windows to appear in last position I use Misc/Entries

Good Luck!

GUI Theme "Flavours-Beauty" by @chris1111

10051147.thumb.png.a3743dfa8661d6604bf5a3ef267f6eac.png

731186870_ScreenShot2022-04-10at16_06_16.thumb.png.2f03ce080e3ac090ff12178b6b847a9c.png

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ellybz said:

@makk

I have no idea why you're making things so complicated.

You can create a Windows USB installer via Rufus ( VM or windows ) or in OSX via a simple free app called UnetBootin

https://unetbootin.github.io

OpenCore will see the USB Installer and also Windows in the GUI. 

Only extra driver I use : ext4_x64.efi

This is not new, it has been discussed multiple times, in this forum, since the beginning of OpenCore.

Look it up in the search, it's not complicated.

ps: for Windows to appear in last position I use Misc/Entries

Good Luck!

GUI Theme "Flavours-Beauty" by @chris1111

10051147.thumb.png.a3743dfa8661d6604bf5a3ef267f6eac.png

731186870_ScreenShot2022-04-10at16_06_16.thumb.png.2f03ce080e3ac090ff12178b6b847a9c.png

@Ellybz

Yes it has, but all these don't work on this rig. That is what I'm saying

1) first issue, no Windows Pro option on Installer USB.  Thus the need to manually install.

2) This creates a FS1: or FSx: which is not in FS0:

3) For Opencore to boot Windows, need to install Windows from Opencore boot menu.

4) OpenCore boot menu: doesn't boot the Installer. Thus the need to use F9 Bios menu option.

Tried the all the methods known to man. None of them work and there are plenty of those who use Bios Select to get into Windows with OpenCore because there is a BIOS or something other that prevents.

But I don't like that idea, so I am pursuing a 'fix' for this type.

Clover as you know boots Windows without all this humbug.  

@Ellybz

Thanks for the Theme pointer! it is nice!

Have a great week!

@makk hi 

Spoiler

This creates a FS1: or FSx: which is not in FS0:

Whatever the FS created you can find it through the Shell and add it as a custom entry

Spoiler

For Opencore to boot Windows, need to install Windows from Opencore boot menu

This is new to me 🙄

Hi, I didn't understand if your problem is to start the installation of Win via OC (for me it makes no sense, you should boot from the installation usb Rufus or other via f9, f2 etc)

Or once installed you can't boot it via OC?

As mentioned by @STLVNUB  you can use Windows Install-app  from osx ... you have the possibility to select which version of Win  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qLk51627LC2vxYFZUYSIENSZEJM4ZG91/view?usp=sharing 

Another fantastic tool to install Win let's say offline is WinNTsetup in the example I start a Strelec live iso through Ventoy  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cV_2QR0a0VzE8WvnVTelftQ93lQkSxLX/view?usp=sharing 

In both cases after the procedure is finished restarting from the Win disk , will start the Windows setup. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1raf9bg4_6J8wEee3AodcLdiIjuZTjOpq/view?usp=sharing

With scanpolicy 0, Windows is automatically detected by OC on boot

To prevent OC from injecting SMBIOS values I change these keys in the config.plist:

Kernel > Quirks > CustomSMBIOSGuid > YES (default e' NO)

PlatformInfo > UpdateSMBIOSMode > Custom (default e' Create).

Secure Boot in Bios Disabled

In my case I prefer to use custom entries in Misc with ScanPolicy  2687747   https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/348097-how-to-custom-entry-in-opencore-to-boot-windows/

No problem with either OC or Clover https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uXBKHItswwsxKJMIfowtPBvZr0GZGdUR/view?usp=sharing

I created a USB installation of Windows on the fly ( For curiosity'  🙂 ) ... it is detected at boot by OC without extra driver , by pressing enter the installer is started 

ScanPolicy  was set to 0 

Spoiler

817612608_Schermata2022-04-11alle01_47_37.thumb.png.55294a89ce3fd9724243ecdfd61b9121.png

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, antuneddu said:

@makk hi 

Reveal hidden contents

This creates a FS1: or FSx: which is not in FS0:

Whatever the FS created you can find it through the Shell and add it as a custom entry

Reveal hidden contents

For Opencore to boot Windows, need to install Windows from Opencore boot menu

This is new to me 🙄

Hi, I didn't understand if your problem is to start the installation of Win via OC (for me it makes no sense, you should boot from the installation usb Rufus or other via f9, f2 etc)

Or once installed you can't boot it via OC?

As mentioned by @STLVNUB  you can use Windows Install-app  from osx ... you have the possibility to select which version of Win  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qLk51627LC2vxYFZUYSIENSZEJM4ZG91/view?usp=sharing 

Another fantastic tool to install Win let's say offline is WinNTsetup in the example I start a Strelec live iso through Ventoy  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cV_2QR0a0VzE8WvnVTelftQ93lQkSxLX/view?usp=sharing 

In both cases after the procedure is finished restarting from the Win disk , will start the Windows setup. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1raf9bg4_6J8wEee3AodcLdiIjuZTjOpq/view?usp=sharing

With scanpolicy 0, Windows is automatically detected by OC on boot

To prevent OC from injecting SMBIOS values I change these keys in the config.plist:

Secure Boot in Bios Disabled

In my case I prefer to use custom entries in Misc with ScanPolicy  2687747   https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/348097-how-to-custom-entry-in-opencore-to-boot-windows/

No problem with either OC or Clover https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uXBKHItswwsxKJMIfowtPBvZr0GZGdUR/view?usp=sharing

I created a USB installation of Windows on the fly ( For curiosity'  🙂 ) ... it is detected at boot by OC without extra driver , by pressing enter the installer is started 

ScanPolicy  was set to 0 

Reveal hidden contents

817612608_Schermata2022-04-11alle01_47_37.thumb.png.55294a89ce3fd9724243ecdfd61b9121.png

@antuneddu Hi 

Yes, I had once installed from inside Opencore (inside OpenCore like for MacOS's) using USB Windows installer which I created using Rufus.

It booted right to the installer and I installed Windows. But was Windows 10 Home edition and did not boot back from inside OpenCore

to I had to use BIOS to get to Windows.

**There after I used BIOS to get direct to USB.

The problem there was, was no option Drop Down Menu from Windows Installer to install Windows 10 Pro.

So I went back in and deleted the previous install of Windows 10 Home in Disk Utility. Formatted to Fat32.

Then by using the USB Windows Installer performed the manual install command prompt with Shift + F10, with the Windows USB Installer,

Created efi and primary partitions and installed Windows 10 Pro.

But when I booted back into OpenCore could not boot  Windows.

So I went into OpenShell and found two instances of each install.

1 Windows Home through natural means which installed the boot into FS0: where the boot instances for EFI for all OS's are and should be.

2 The Manual install created a second instance in shell  of FS1:

That didn't work so I deleted the first instance in FS0: from the tables.

What I did first:

I copied FS1: to FS0: all the boot parameters from

EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi and BCD files.

Still did not boot up. Problem being the new UUID.

Windows tries to load but fails. Got the dots to indicate the initiation.  Reboots back to OpenCore boot up menu.

So I tried other methods.

Boot from FS1: and removed FS0: entries with bcfg boot dump -v, to find the first instance and then removed it with

bcfg boot rm 1. (0 is MacOS's, 1 is Windows in this case)

Then added FS1: boot like this

bcfg boot add 1 FS1:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi "Windows 10 Pro"

bcfg boot dump -v to verify this change has been made.

Then exit and click Windows Icon number 2, first one is dead deleted the boot instance in Shell but the icon remains for some reason. must be a bug.

Then I did all those mentioned here on the forum.

Tried with:

Entries in Misc., the Blessed folder, all kinds of tricks but no boot.

In Clover it boots with no issues.  Clover sees Windows and prepares it to boot.

drivers are fat.efi and NTFS.efi.  Have many files. so this isn't what I want. No integration of the drivers

which is detected by Clover executable --not apparent.

So for now I am using BIOS F9 to get the menu and then boot into Windows outside of OpenCore. which has it's drawbacks.

But boots.

I'm beginning to think that in my BIOS because I have to use 'Hybrid CSM mode' which may pose for OpenCore and Windows, that requires an driver? or perhaps another config parameter?

Because so far tried everything out there that is fresh today.

I tried older versions of OpenCore as well.

I used ScanPolicy of 0 and exposesensitive to 0 and Windows did not show up on Boot Menu.

ExposeSensite I read from another post in another forum which does something to keep OC from detection? I forgot...

Which one of these below shuts off SMBIOS in MacOS?

To be honest I'm out of options for now.

I've tried with ExFat.efi, all those drivers in OcBinary one at a time and still no good.

Actually the problem isn't the Windows Installer itself. It's the configuration here which I'm having to recap and redo everytime.

Which should not be. It is relatively a simple exercise which has turned into a mess.

I was actually surprised with the result when I installed Windows and found unable to boot through OpenCore.

I read all what was available on Dortania for this Broadwell and the other pages for dual booting Mac and Windows.

It took some time to come up to speed and understand the booting methods. Just cannot see in realtime what is happening

even with the bootlogs. Need like XRay to see perfectly.

Thank you!

Edited by makk

8 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

@makk As i've seen, the problem is ACPI files, you have too much aml files, that's why after installing windows or during first boot while installing, you got bcd screen. You need to install windows separately from opencore, or patch your ACPI with only two aml, DSDT and SSDT with args from devices, scopes that needs to be patched, disabled etc...

I don't know if someone else will agree with me, but Install windows to a separate drive, and don't boot it from OpenCore, use only F menu to boot from. You will probably get a headache, with your acpi files, because i see many that haven't to be there like: Sassdt + ptid + laketiny + isct + cpussdt + cpu0ist + ahci, those doesn't needs to be here. Make one SSDT that provide all your patch for devices execution using _DSMs + disabling devices if needed. Then a patched DSDT for battery. But again, even with all of that, you need OSDW method. Be just simple for best result, and start windows always from F menu, and leave OpenCore for macOS.

Make a UEFI USB from macOS formatting it as NTFS using whatever app you can find, download Windows from microsoft website, copy everything from the mounted ISO to your USB and restart your notebook, press F9 maybe for HP, i don't remember, then select your UEFI USB that will appear in the menu, and you're good to go installing it with no fail.

As i said, clean your ACPI folder first even for macOS because you have much more not necessary files. I had in the past two HP notebooks: One ProBook and one Pavilion, and i used only two AML files, not more.

DSDT is needed for battery EC device with some patches renames and things, and one SSDT that will merge all the patches, and disabled things together in one simple file also you have to add OSI windows and darwin in your DSDT, from MaciASL or RehabMan GitHub Repos.

If you was on Desktop, things get's simple. I didn't checked all the posts, but onlu downloaded your ACPI attached, and got warned seeing does files after opened them. And maybe i'm mistaking, then forget what i've said.

@ammoune78 Hi

Yes I agree with you 100%.

My setup was made using Clover from Mojave and High Sierra instances.  So have to adjust for new OS and Windows and Opencore.

So I thought well I must be in the wrong! Something is amiss here. Because Clover has no issues to boot Windows directly.

So I thought Maybe something wrong with Shell? Worked on that.

I do have one SSDT that has as you recommend.  See Screen shot

SSDT-4x0G2b.aml. This has the necessary declarations to boot MacOS but not Windows.

Then with Catalina and beyond need EC.aml.  

Then with Opencore need HPET.aml.

So there's has to a way to boot MacOS without these and no issues in OpenCore laptop configs?

So have to fix this to work with OpenCore is what I'm told.

--as stated by jpz4085 who has so kindly made this clear. ( which actually works for Clover )

For Clover dont need HPET.aml or Plug.aml.

So for Clover have 4 SSDT hotpatches.

FAN, EC. PNLF and 4x0G2b. aml's.

for OC it seems that I need PLUG for Plugintype and HPET SSDT's.

I will try without them and see what happens.

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 8.55.55 PM.png

what can i use in place of SSDT-PLUG.aml to set PluginType like in Clover?

and the SSDT-HPET.aml?

For SSDT-4x0G2b.aml to have the plugintype and hpet what needs to be written in it?

I use CPUFriend.kext and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext for CPU power and this CPUFriendFriend created

an ssdt_data.aml which is also in the CPUFriendDataProvider.kext. 

NOTE: ssdt_data.aml can be used to replace SSDT-PLUG.aml and must not use with CPUFriendDataProvider.kext as it is redundant and get error in ACPI log.

It looks like HPET.aml is a necessary evil here?

I will try with just the patch in ACPI and no SSDT.

Then use ssdt_data.aml and disable CPUFriendDataProvider.kext and SSDT-PLUG.aml and see if I get sound back..LOL!!

Edited by makk

@jpz4085

Hi, My battery is dead on this HP Probook and no batteries are produced anymore for this laptop.

The battery was used in conjunction with AC to boost the CPU for turbo mode DC as a benefit it seems.

If I disable SMCBattery.kext it should by all intents and purposes--> the system should not detect the battery?

Or do I have to pull the battery out as well?  Since the battery seems to be an intrinsic part of this would 

it affect the detection if it is not available?

@makk

Few things.

I use Windows 10 Pro. i can boot from the Bios or from OpenCore.  Same thing with the USB installer . No issue whatsoever.

I installed Windows 10 Pro thru the Bios but now use it exclusively thru OpenCore.

my CustomSMBIOSGuid ->NO

UpdateSMBIOS ->YES

Secure boot in Bios = Disabled

Things that might help:

- Clean your NVRAM!!!

- Windows & Ubuntu are installed in separate Drives than OSX.

- all drives with OSX were disconnected when I installed Windows ( Physically or thru Bios ). I did so to avoid potential conflict with Windows updating my OSX drives.  After Windows install was complete, I reconnected all of them. 

- As @ammoune78 mentioned earlier, your ACPI patches might be the culprit. 

I've been using OC since a year now without a single SSDT in my EFI, not even SSDT-PLUG.aml; I let my bios manage the XCPM. ) Never encountered any issues. :thumbsup_anim:

70092792_ScreenShot2022-04-10at19_15_19.png.b14005380c03a2dec1938da0a7d499b6.png

If you have ACPI patches that generate some conflicts in booting Windows I can suggest you another solution:

@NDK created a few years ago a custom version of Opencore with a quirk to bypass the ACPI patches when booting other OS ( Windows, Linux, etc..)

This thread has lately been updated by @btwise.  Take a moment to read about it. It works wonders.

Last but not least, If your Windows & OSX are in the same drive, Bootcamp should probably be the way. However,  because I have not done this, I'm afraid cannot help you further. I can only speak from personal experience.

Best of luck.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellybz said:

@makk

Few things.

I use Windows 10 Pro. i can boot from the Bios or from OpenCore.  Same thing with the USB installer . No issue whatsoever.

I installed Windows 10 Pro thru the Bios but now use it exclusively thru OpenCore.

my CustomSMBIOSGuid ->NO

UpdateSMBIOS ->YES

Secure boot in Bios = Disabled

Things that might help:

- Clean your NVRAM!!!

- Windows & Ubuntu are installed in separate Drives than OSX.

- all drives with OSX were disconnected when I installed Windows ( Physically or thru Bios ). I did so to avoid potential conflict with Windows updating my OSX drives.  After Windows install was complete, I reconnected all of them. 

- As @ammoune78 mentioned earlier, your ACPI patches might be the culprit. 

I've been using OC since a year now without a single SSDT in my EFI, not even SSDT-PLUG.aml; I let my bios manage the XCPM. ) Never encountered any issues. :thumbsup_anim:

70092792_ScreenShot2022-04-10at19_15_19.png.b14005380c03a2dec1938da0a7d499b6.png

If you have ACPI patches that generate some conflicts in booting Windows I can suggest you another solution:

@NDK created a few years ago a custom version of Opencore with a quirk to bypass the ACPI patches when booting other OS ( Windows, Linux, etc..)

This thread has lately been updated by @btwise.  Take a moment to read about it. It works wonders.

Last but not least, If your Windows & OSX are in the same drive, Bootcamp should probably be the way. However,  because I have not done this, I'm afraid cannot help you further. I can only speak from personal experience.

Best of luck.

@Ellybz

This seems to be the trick here

I downloaded the 5.8 

how to update to 7.9 and beyond?

I got your command file 

what's the next steps?

Thank you! This what is needed. I do have tons of patches in ACPI

EDIT: Can you link just the bare EFI? minus your kexts? 

Edited by makk

On 4/8/2022 at 1:40 AM, 5T33Z0 said:

It does what I said: it runs the ISO.

You decide, which Edition will be installed in the setup dialog. If a windows license is present from a previous install, it will install the edition the license is for.

Otherwise you need to do this: https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-select-pro-edition-while-installing-windows-10/

@5T33Z0

It actually worked !! to put the ei.cfg file with

EditionID

Professional

Channel

Retail

Installed and wella Windows 10 Pro 21H2 Direct with no menu installed perfectly!

Amazing.

Just installed it on my Acer Nitro 5

I forgot to (no sleep for a few days) rename the EFI OC 7.9 to 'EFI' hahaha.... I was wondering why the USB was not recognized. what a blooper!

Thank you! always a great help!

The problem now is on the Boot Menu of OC, I have two instances of Windows.

The first one doesn't boot, and needs to be removed. 

The second works fantastically thanks to all of you here!

Motivational advises, and all thank you kindly!

Have a great week all! Bless you

37 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@5T33Z0 Hi Thank you for looking after this!

What is OCAT?

To remove an entry which I made running the USB Installer the normal way, places, in FS0:\EFE\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi which is no longer active

on the drive. OpenCore did not remove the entry after I deleted the initial install.  So it's there.

I have to find a command to run to remove it.  Haven't had the time to run through the journals for that.

FS1: is the new EFI for Microsoft that works with this modded OC. 

My laptop is a bit old and the battery is dead. HP is not producing batteries for this laptop.  The aftermarkets I guess are better than nothing. Just have to find

one that is compatible. The battery affects the performance on laptop for some reason.