Ryzen 5600X and Asus TUF 550 - Assistance Requested

chrisf60526

23 posts in this topic

Hi all.  I have an Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus with a Ryzen 5600X.  For the last week I have tried everything to make this work with no success.  I have watched Brandon Yen's video on YT about building this on Windows.  I have tried using my wifes MacBook Air and building it on OSX using OC Gen and non-OC Gen.  I have tried using config.plists i found on Git.

I have followed the OpenCore guide to a tee but can't really ever get to the 'Install Big Sur' boot screen.  Anyone have any ideas on what to try?  Thank you in advance!

8 minutes ago, chrisf60526 said:

(which mostly passed OC sanity check)

I hope you're not using that on-line app which hasn't been updated in a long time if I am not mistaken, you should always use the OC validate app within the OC version you are currently using to check for any errors.

@Shaneee @Cyberdevs  Thanks for the help. Much appreciated

Here's a bit more detail including my EFI folder and the debug.txt that was written.  My system is a Ryzen 5600X running on an Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS.  In regards to the BIOS on the MB, I am not very sure what needs to be enabled/disabled.  I followed the guide on Opencore but I never get far enough in the boot process to know if what i changed is actually working.

In regards to Opencore, I have followed a bunch of guides.  Since Monterey is new, I decided to go the Big Sur route.  I have access to a Mac but i thought that this guide by Brandon yen would be good (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Cm30I_DEw&t=472s).  Seemed like an easy way to get it going without having to make a bootable installer.  Really didnt work for me.

Next I used a MacBook Air and did the Opencore way with the installer and MountEFI. I tried making my own config.plist and i thought i got it right but didnt get anywhere on the boot.  Since then I have tried using Shannee's build from Git and I tied OC GenX as well. 

I'm in the IT biz so I know my way around but the guides I feel are a bit hard to follow.   

Let me know how I can get this going and I really appreciate the help!  I have spent a lot of time on this. 

E.zip

Give this folder a go. Just replace the full folder. Video guides are never the best, Dortania is the only guide you should follow, same goes for "generator" apps to make the config. This EFI is based off of my X570-F EFI I have shared but modified for your system.

EFI.zip

13 hours ago, Shaneee said:

Give this folder a go. Just replace the full folder. Video guides are never the best, Dortania is the only guide you should follow, same goes for "generator" apps to make the config. This EFI is based off of my X570-F EFI I have shared but modified for your system.

EFI.zip 4.08 MB · 3 downlo

Thanks Shaneee.  I tried this and no go.   I got a nice menu.  I attached the error i saw and where it got stuck.  I checked the USB and no error log.

As far as my BIOS, i turned off CSM and secure boot.  

Screenshot attached.  
IMG_0031.thumb.jpg.5ad40cbcfe5c9c2cbf465b01d852c8b3.jpg

Edited by chrisf60526

4 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

Thanks Shaneee.  I tried this and no go.   I got a nice menu.  I attached the error i saw and where it got stuck.  I checked the USB and no error log.

As far as my BIOS, i turned off CSM and secure boot.  

Screenshot attached.  
IMG_0031.thumb.jpg.5ad40cbcfe5c9c2cbf465b01d852c8b3.jpg

Quick update.  I went in a turned off a bunch of stuff in the BIOS and I fianlly booted in to the recovery! I'm going to go find a drive to isntall it on so I don't scrap my Win10 drive (just in case) and report back.  

The recovery came up in Russian which i can work around.  It also picked up my Magic Mouse and Keyboard which was pretty awesome.   I'll report back this evening.  Thanks

The ACPI errors indicate issues with SSDT-EC and CPUR. Can you dump and post the ACPI tables (SysReport folder) and bootlog? (Use OpenCore DEBUG with the settings Misc>Debug>SysReport:true, Target:67.)

Ok guys.  I was able to get Big Sur installed,  As soon as i get to the language section, my mouse and keybaord stop working.  I was able to use them when i was installing but they are unresponsive right now.

I have tried a wired keyboard and I also have a magic mouse and magic keyboard.  XCPI is off in the BIOS and off int the config.plist as well.  Guide says USB should work out of box.  Any ideas?

Swap the EC SSDT I used with the compiled version in the Dortania guide. USB should work OOB yes. It's possible that not all ports will work until they are mapped though. Try simply changing the port you are using.

Thanks all.  Looks like I am up and running.  It looked like the USB AML that Shaneee suggested worked.   I installed Big Sur and did an upgrade to Monterey with no issues.

Here is what worked and what still needs work:

• Bluetooth - Not working . I am sure I can google it to find out why
  • Front USB ports - My case has two USB ports on the front that don't seem to be recognized.  Not a huge deal as I can use the ones in the back. This may have been my issue in the first place.  The back USB ports work though.
  • Sound - Works out of the box.  I have a Dell USB sound bar plugged in via USB and it kicked right in

I'll move onto the Post Install part now.  Thanks again for the help all!   Looks great so far..

• Like 1

Bit of an update.  This appears to be an issue with Monterey.  I re loaded BS and the Bluetooth works fine with my old BT 4.0.  Monterey fails to work with BT on this board.  I have been doing some digging and notced I am not the only one having the issue.  Apparantly, Monterey changed the BT stack.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-bluetooth-5-0-usb-dongle-guide.287115/page-8