[GUIDE] Using unsupported Board-IDs in macOS Monterey (updates included)

Guest 5T33Z0

15 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dogansan said:

Thanks, this really helped me to install 12.1. However, I still do not have a solution for the broken snapshot sealed, after installing Geforce Kepler Patcher.

The seal is broken whenever you edit the system volume. There is no way to seal it except to revert back to the original snapshot without the patches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 10:04 AM, 5T33Z0 said:

A fellow user of the german Hackintosh forum pointed me towards the latest OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) update which includes new Kernel patches which makes use of Monterey virtualizaion capabilities (VMM) to spoof the board-ID reported to Software update:

In combination with 2 Booter patches to skip the Board ID of the used hardware, redirecting it to OpenCore which then spoofs a supported Board ID via VMM to the Update Servers, this allows using the correct SMBIOS for a given CPU family even if it is not supported by macOS Monterey. This not only improves CPU Power-management a lot - especially on Laptops –  it also allows installing, booting and updating macOS Monterey with otherwise unsupported hardware.

Fix System Update Notifications: As a positive side-effect these Patches also resolve issues with System Updates not being displayed. Some users have issues with not being notified about System Updates so the can't download the latest updates for Big Sur 11.4+ and MacOS Monterey. Since a correct Board-ID is reported to Apple Update Servers these patches provide a handy workaround to fix this problem.

Test:

Hide contents

So I had a look at the config.plist included in the OCLP: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/blob/4a8f61a01da72b38a4b2250386cc4b497a31a839/payloads/Config/config.plist#L1222-L1281, copied the Booter and Kernel patches into my config and tested them on my Lenovo T530 Notebook, which uses and Ivy Bridge CPU with MacBookPro10,1 SMBIOS, which is officially not supported by macOS Monterey. After rebooting, the system started without -no_compat_check.

I then checked for Updates:

Proof03.png.bce326305e913e182ebf85d40acae56c.png

I could download and install macOS 12.1 beta without issue. The board ID shown belongs to the SMBIOS for MacBookPro10,1:

Proof04.png.bee2e83680e9d78c203fc418d60b6fcc.png

After reboot, installation went smoothly and successfully:

About.png.1121a128ea4f135b88dfb109564f8a77.png

Attached you find the .plist with the required Booter Patches for Board-ID skip and the Kernel Patches for spoofing a supported Board ID via VMM. I think some of the Kernel Patches included are for real macs only so I deactivated them. But enabling them didn't cause any issues.

Important: This only works in macOS Monterey. Here's the File: BoardIDSkip+VMMPatch_V2.plist

Usage: copy the included Booter and Kernel Patches into your config. Use the correct (unsupported) SMBIOS for your CPU, save the config and reboot. Enjoy native CPU Power Management and System Updates vai Software update functionality.

About the Kernel Patches

• Patches  0-2: Enable board ID spoof via VMM in macOS 12.0.1 (active) >> Allows booting, installing and updating macOS 12.x with unsupported board ID and SMBIOS
  • Patch 3: seems to be related to Apple's SMC Controller in real Macs (disabled)
  • Patch 4:  disables Library Validation Enforcement. (disabled)
  • Patches 5-6: SurPlus fixes for Race Condition Fix on Sandy Bridge and older CPUs. Fixes issues for macOS 11.3 onward, where newer Big Sur builds often wouldn't boot with SMBIUIS MacPro5,1 . (disabled)
  • Patches 7-8: Experimental RDRAND patches to re-enable Sandy Bridge CPU support in Monterey 12.1 beta (disabled)

Hi,

I had updated Monterey up to 13.2 , but it failed to install 12.3 , giving kernel panic on AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement, saying prelinked pataches not found. Is there any new additional patches for Sandy bridge ?  I see that OCLP 0.4.2 mentions power management support fixes for Sandy bridge but I am unable to extract and apply these patches to my config.plist. Any help is appreciatedi as always

I forgot to mention I have succeeded to install 12.3 beta 21E5206e  successfully with Clover 5142 ,but I still can not boot with Opencore 0.7.8 for the above reason(s)

@dogansanThe sandy bridge patches are no longer needed.

As far as the OCLP config is concerned: you can copy the raw text from here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/main/payloads/Config/config.plist and paste it into a plist editor which can generate the plist structur from it. Then you can check  the included booter and kernel patches for yourself. You will see: no more Sandy Bridge fixes included. It has been fixed in OpenCore 078 itself, afaik.

18 hours ago, dogansan said:

Thanks sir, this helped. I removed all previous power management patches ,only added Reroute and surplus patches and it now boots.

Thanks and do you mean you can boot Sandy Bridge hackintosh (your PC2 ?) with OC 0.7.8 plus these patches but not by Clover ?

Mine need boot-argument with cpus=1 unfortunately.

Edited by jsl2000

6 hours ago, jsl2000 said:

Thanks and do you mean you can boot Sandy Bridge hackintosh (your PC2 ?) with OC 0.7.8 plus these patches but not by Clover ?

Mine need boot-argument with cpus=1 unfortunately.

My PC1 which has been converted from PC2 , is with Sandy Bridge CPU and with latest Sandy bridge kernel patches from OLCP it can boot and run without any issue. It actually also can run with Clover 5142

• Like 1

My PC1 which has been converted from PC2 , is with Sandy Bridge CPU and with latest Sandy bridge kernel patches from OLCP it can boot and run without any issue. It actually also can run with Clover 5142

Thanks and can you share your working config.plist booted by Clover 5142 for reference to fix mine ?

Here is the download link, https://we.tl/t-LKsmYi5cWJ , hope it helps

Thanks, but I can not find anything related to this topic.

Does it mean your Ivy Bridge hackintosh can boot UEFI Clover without these kernel patches ?

Mine need legacy boot by Clover or OpenCore.

57 minutes ago, jsl2000 said:

Thanks, but I can not find anything related to this topic.

Does it mean your Ivy Bridge hackintosh can boot UEFI Clover without these kernel patches ?

Mine need legacy boot by Clover or OpenCore.

I sent my Clover EFI folder which is used to boot my PC1 running with Sandy Bridge CPU,  not Ivy Bridge. Clover does not need the subject patches, they are only needed in OC

@jsl2000

1. This Clover config doesn't include the Booter and Kernel Patches that are necessary to make the Board-ID skip and spoof work
  2. Every UEFI based system can boot newer versions of macOS if you pick a matching SMBIOS macOS wants to see (in this config it's iMac17,1 and -no_compat_check). With the board-id skip and spoof this wouldn't be necessary.

@dogansan: I don't think you have quite understood what these patches are for… it's not about needing them or not, it's about using a unsupported, outdated but correct board-Id for your CPU with the latest version with macOS. You can'T do this with Clover.

Please continue your conversation in private (if you must), since it is totally off topic. Thanks