Random panic:nvme:"Fatal error occurred.

pinktank

8 posts in this topic

*Seems to be solved after updating to OC 0.7.3, in case anybody else it runs into it, might be openruntime.

I've been getting these lately that I never got before. Just connected a different display and a usb dac, in case that helps. I would appreciate a general look-over as well. I've been running a couple hackintoshes for years now, so not new around town.

Z270 Asrock Gaming-ITX

Rx560

960 Evo as system drive

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f8346c231): nvme: "Fatal error occurred. CSTS=0xffffffff US[1]=0x0 US[0]=0x110 VID=0xffff DID=0xffff
. FW Revision=2B7QCXE7\n"@/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-470.100.17/IONVMeController.cpp:5320

Send me d-desktop.lan.zip

Edited by pinktank

@pinktank

There are some steps to take:

1. Clear caches and rebuild kext/kernel caches

2. Remove or update NVMEfix.kext

3. Check the health status of your 960 EVO NVME SSD.

4. Update the firmware of your 960 EVO (do it at your own risk) the latest firmware revision is 3B7QCXE7 and as it appears yours is "FW Revision=2B7QCXE7" 

Hi @Cyberdevs

1) Is the following sufficient to clear caches in Catalina?

sudo kextcache -i /

2) I added it after the crashes started to see if it would fix it

3) The report says healthy

4) The latest samsung firmware has an unaddressed bug, and it only adds edrive functionality for windows 8 https://bit-tech.net/news/tech/storage/samsung-960-pro-nvme-m2-drives-get-a-bad-firmware-update/1/

Yes that command will suffice although I personally usually delete the contents of the ~/Library/Caches folder whenever I need to; I never used NVMEfix.kext for my 960 EVO SSD and didn't notice any issues so far.

For more thorough health check you can use DriveDx to see more details of the health status.

The article you posted pints to an issue on 960 Pro series not the EVO Series and on that note my EVO 960 256GB NVME drive has the latest firmware and I have been using it for macOS for years without any issues (I never installed any versions of Windows on it though) but if you don't feel like to update the firmware that's ok.

NVME.png

I know that the article is for the pro, but the same issue was reported on the evo on forums, I just posted that one since it was an article and not forums. Currently updating to OC0.7.3 just in case there was an update on openruntime.

Did check drivedx and smartctltools just in case, no errors on any count.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 10:22 AM, pinktank said:

*Seems to be solved after updating to OC 0.7.3, in case anybody else it runs into it, might be openruntime.

I've been getting these lately that I never got before. Just connected a different display and a usb dac, in case that helps. I would appreciate a general look-over as well. I've been running a couple hackintoshes for years now, so not new around town.

Z270 Asrock Gaming-ITX

Rx560

960 Evo as system drive

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f8346c231): nvme: "Fatal error occurred. CSTS=0xffffffff US[1]=0x0 US[0]=0x110 VID=0xffff DID=0xffff
. FW Revision=2B7QCXE7\n"@/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-470.100.17/IONVMeController.cpp:5320

Send me d-desktop.lan.zip 5.17 MB · 2 downloads

I had a Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb that died after 3 + years of intense service in my Latitude E7270 with the same error message that you got. At first it wasn't frequent, just once in a while, but in the end it was as soon as the system was too demanding on it, like just after booting, and then visiting a web site with intense disk access (disk access led fully on for a while) , it would panic. Was doing the same thing under Windows 10. 

I finally changed it for a 970 EVO Plus, and left 60 Gb unformatted (AppleLife.ru recommended 20% of the capacity, but I settled for 12%) as it has to do with the "garbage collection" of the drive that cause wear and tear in the long run.

I hope it's not your case, time will tell ...