Help with MSI Z97 GAMING 5

FICU

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.  I need to install for my girlfriend Hackintosh who deals with painting, design, etc. I would need your help in selecting the macOS version of the necessary files that will allow me to take full advantage of the system and my components.  I would not like to give up Windows, so only the Dual Boot option is at stake.  Currently, I am before buying a new SSD for macOS, so the disk configuration will change a bit.  The following is my hardware configuration: 

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150
CPU Cooler: BOX
CPU: Intel i5-4460 3.2 GHz Quad-Core

iGPU: Intel HD Graphic 4600

dGPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB MINI
RAM1: GoodRam Play, DDR3, 8 GB (2x4GB), 1600MHz, CL9 9-9-9-28 (GYR1600D364L9S/8GDC)
RAM2: GoodRam Play, DDR3, 8 GB (2x4GB), 1600MHz, CL9 9-9-9-28 (GYR1600D364L9/8GDC)
SSD M.2: Plextor 256 GB M.2 2280 (PX-256M6GV)
HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM
HDD2: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM
HDD3: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus ATX Mid Tower
PSU: XFX XTR 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

I tried to do anything with OpenCore but failed.  Could any of you help me with the selection of kext, drivers etc?  I know that on the current dGPU I can run a maximum of High Sierra, but what is the matter if I want to use iGPU under macOS and dGPU under Win?  I understand that I would have to have 2 HDMI cables connected (One to the GPU, the other to the HDMI on the motherboard) so as not to have to play with the HDMI cable change?

On 8/18/2021 at 7:07 PM, Allan said:

Hi and welcome to InsanelyMac! 😃

Upload your EFI folder here.

And about the iGPU, there's some info at WEG FAQ: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md#intel-hd-graphics-4200-5200-haswell-processors

Please find attached my config.plist. As for the system, I decided to try to install Catalina (from what I read in the OpenCore tutorial, there are some bugs in Big Sur, unless it's already fixed and you can confirm it). Here is a list of .kext:

AppleALC.kext

AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext

eqMac2Driver.kext

Lilu.kext

VirtualSMC.kext

WhateverGreen.kext

In addition, I put a list of drivers:

AudioDxe.efi

HfsPlus.efi

OpenCanopy.efi

OpenRuntime.efi

Is it enough to change the following settings in the BIOS?

Settings> Advanced> Integrated Graphics Configuration

Set Initiate Graphic Adapter to IGD
Set Integrated Graphics Shared Memory to 64M
OC> CPU Features

Set Intel VT-D Tech to Disabled
Set CFG Lock to Disabled

I have Windows installed on SSD M.2, for now I'm going to install macOS on HDD. Won't the installation affect Windows to some degree? Maybe M.2 should be pulled out while installing MacOS? If so, how to add a Dual Boot?

config.plist

Edited by FICU

8 hours ago, FICU said:

As for the system, I decided to try to install Catalina (from what I read in the OpenCore tutorial, there are some bugs in Big Sur, unless it's already fixed and you can confirm it).

Catalina is very good and stable, so BS is, for me I can run it without worries.

8 hours ago, FICU said:

eqMac2Driver.kext

This is just an extension from the App, not responsible to get macOS audio working.

8 hours ago, FICU said:

In addition, I put a list of drivers:

Nice!

8 hours ago, FICU said:

Is it enough to change the following settings in the BIOS?

Yes, very good.

8 hours ago, FICU said:

I have Windows installed on SSD M.2, for now I'm going to install macOS on HDD. Won't the installation affect Windows to some degree? Maybe M.2 should be pulled out while installing MacOS? If so, how to add a Dual Boot?

No, most of the times is Windows who mess with our Hackintosh files.

If is more practice for you to remove the SSD M.2 to install macOS without worry to touch Windows' files, would be a good idea. 😃

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Allan said:

Catalina is very good and stable, so BS is, for me I can run it without worries.

This is just an extension from the App, not responsible to get macOS audio working.

Nice!

Yes, very good.

No, most of the times is Windows who mess with our Hackintosh files.

If is more practice for you to remove the SSD M.2 to install macOS without worry to touch Windows' files, would be a good idea. 😃

Now I don't know which version to choose. Possibly there are no problems with the transition to BS?

42 minutes ago, Allan said:

Yeah, go to the more recent version 😉

I tried to boot the pendrive but got the OC error "No schema for Debug at 11 index, context <Boot>" and OCS "No schema for 0 at 11 index, context <Security>". I did everything according to the OC guide and I do not know where to look for the cause. I know it's about the config.plist file, but I can't find a similar problem on the internet that could direct me to a config error

config.plist

On 8/20/2021 at 4:57 PM, Allan said:

Extract this file, and put it on the EFI partition of your USB stick, and try to boot and install.

EFI.OpenCore.Series.8.9.zip 3.38 MB · 1 download

I extracted the files from the archive you sent and OpenCore started, thanks for your help. Tell me, do I have to replace anything in this config.plist? At the moment, I am earthed with the installation anyway because I have lost one disk and I am waiting for a new one

6 minutes ago, Allan said:

Now you can add your custom SystemSerialNumber, SystemUUID, ROM and MLB 😃

I thought so, but wanted to be sure :P Thanks again for your help. I will get a new disk, I will let you know how the installation was done :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...