Jump to content

is it worth upgrading opencore to 0.7.0 from 0.6.4?


7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I've been running on opencore 0.6.4 and things seem stable.  I'm wondering if I gain anything by upgrading to 0.7.0 or  "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

The best you can do is doing a test using a USB stick. If it boots, just copy to the EFI partition and don't forget to clean the NVRam to avoid issues.

 

I'm using the last release 0.7.1 (be2d9fe7) and it's amazing!

 

Another thing, if you want to receive a precise hints, we need to know what hardware are you using. 😃 👇

 

 

0.7.1 gets released tomorrow, probably best to wait a day.

 

Depends if you want any of the new features or not. I think there may have been some fixes for AppleSecureModel at some point as well, might've been right after 0.6.3. 0.7.0 had a lot of changes related to theming for OpenCanopy as well.

0.6.4 should still run Monterey though, unless something changes in future betas.

If you do update, I'd recommend going through the Differences.pdf from each version to see what's new. It'll describe changes in the config.plist and any changes in behavior as OC as well.

  • Like 3

@Cwtf I've written an in-depth guide to updating OpenCore (Link in my signature). You will need 0.7.1 at least if you want to upgrade to macOS Monterey in the future. So keeping OpenCore up to date is good practise.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Allan said:

The best you can do is doing a test using a USB stick. If it boots, just copy to the EFI partition and don't forget to clean the NVRam to avoid issues.

 

I'm using the last release 0.7.1 (be2d9fe7) and it's amazing!

 

Another thing, if you want to receive a precise hints, we need to know what hardware are you using. 😃 👇

 

 

Thanks Allan, I've updated my signature to reflect my configuration.

 

15 hours ago, 1Revenger1 said:

0.7.1 gets released tomorrow, probably best to wait a day.

 

Depends if you want any of the new features or not. I think there may have been some fixes for AppleSecureModel at some point as well, might've been right after 0.6.3. 0.7.0 had a lot of changes related to theming for OpenCanopy as well.

0.6.4 should still run Monterey though, unless something changes in future betas.

If you do update, I'd recommend going through the Differences.pdf from each version to see what's new. It'll describe changes in the config.plist and any changes in behavior as OC as well.

I'm on Catalina, and I have no plans on upgrading until it's EOL. But I'll follow your suggestion and check all the diffs.

 

7 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@Cwtf I've written an in-depth guide to updating OpenCore (Link in my signature). You will need 0.7.1 at least if you want to upgrade to macOS Monterey in the future. So keeping OpenCore up to date is good practise.

Thanks this guide is very helpful.  I'm going to  give it a try.   

Edited by Cwtf

It's always worth upgrading if there is an advantage.  Move forward, but not sideways or backward.

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...