Yet, another USB issue

bryan51

12 posts in this topic

I've got this weird problem now with Big Sur 11.4(11.3+).
I had everything working correctly and then edited my OC config.plist(again) to make some change and when the system rebooted I had no USB devices working. So I went back to using usbinjectall etc but that didn't work either? So I tried booting my other HDD installation of Big Sur 11.2.2 and that worked! So i redid all the port mapping but that didn't make any difference.
I had a USB Big Sur install USB so I tried booting from that to 11.4 and everything is working? I copied the usb efi folder over to the SDD(11.4 is on it) but nothing worked??
So I completely redid the SSD to start afresh with a new EFI directory but that didn't do any good. It's like the USBports and/or injectall methods are being ignored, which is really weird.
I've even tried an old clover efi but it's the same results: 11.4=No usb and 11.2.2=all is fine. I've also reset NVRAM in OC and in recovery mode with nvram -c ..

Any thoughts would be useful about now ... image.gif.3f576972340c4f4e4662274b7c0b2f5d.gif

9 hours ago, bryan51 said:

I've got this weird problem now with Big Sur 11.4(11.3+).
I had everything working correctly and then edited my OC config.plist(again) to make some change and when the system rebooted I had no USB devices working. So I went back to using usbinjectall etc but that didn't work either? So I tried booting my other HDD installation of Big Sur 11.2.2 and that worked! So i redid all the port mapping but that didn't make any difference.
I had a USB Big Sur install USB so I tried booting from that to 11.4 and everything is working? I copied the usb efi folder over to the SDD(11.4 is on it) but nothing worked??...

Big Sur 11.3 and 11.4 frequently cause a fail where the previous USB port maps stop working. And using UsbInjectAll + XhciPortLimit doesn't work either.
The port map must be recreated from the new system. But, if you do it with Hackintool, it seems that this tool does not create the ports map well from 11.3 and 11.4. Until @headkaze updates the app, it is recommended to create the port map with the corpnewt's 
script Usbmap.command.

Try disabling the mouse pointer in OC or just use the keyboard in OC boot picker. Anytime I make a selection in the in the picker using the pointer bluetooth is rendered useless once in the os.

20 hours ago, miliuco said:

Big Sur 11.3 and 11.4 frequently cause a fail where the previous USB port maps stop working. And using UsbInjectAll + XhciPortLimit doesn't work either.
The port map must be recreated from the new system. But, if you do it with Hackintool, it seems that this tool does not create the ports map well from 11.3 and 11.4. Until @headkaze updates the app, it is recommended to create the port map with the corpnewt's 
script Usbmap.command.

Thanks for the info. I have tried the usbmap.command with the same results as usbports.kext. But really .... why would booting the same EFI folder from USB work but not from the SSD or my other bootable HDD??

Similar problem on my built.

Big Sur 11.4

ASUS TUF Gaming z490 Motherboard.

1 USB 2.0 Port

7 USB 3.0 Port

1 USBc port (which Ido not use at the moment)

USB 3.0 Devices work on all ports (USB2.O and USB3.0)

USB 2.0 devices only work on the one USB2.0 port and do not get recognized on the USB3.0 Ports

I have SMBIOS imac 20,2

I tried Hackintool, USBinjectall and corpnewt's script Usbmap.command.

The result is the same: If I plug in an USB2.0 device into a USB3.0 Port, it will not be recognized.

1332733222_Screenshot2021-06-05at11_28_14.thumb.png.b0abfa086708215c135e30f3fe9e17ae.png

1005818871_Screenshot2021-06-05at11_30_20.thumb.png.4fa7dd63db5cbc557e76a713afb6dcb1.png

This is the BIG Sur USB Port .plist for Imac 20,2

1144045653_Screenshot2021-06-05at11_41_37.thumb.png.a0946e62aa6084ac6db3f25b56889865.png

Anyone any idea how to solve this?

Solved:

I managed to get all my USB PORTS working on BIG SUR 11.4

OPENCORE EFI:

1. Delete SSDT_RHUB.aml (also in config.plist with propertree - snapshot)

2. in config.plist under Kernel - Quirks set XhciPortLimit to False. save config.plist.

3. delete all USB related Kexts in OC-Kexts folder especially USBincejctall (also in config.plist with propertree - snapshot)

Restart, reset NVRAM restart

Download corpnewt / USBMap

Open it with USBMap.command

choose D - discover ports.

Now you should see all your USB2.0 Ports.

Plug in a USB2.0 !! Device into every USB port on your PC even into the USB 3.x and USB c ports.

USBMap.command will populate all your USB 2.0 Ports.

Set your Ports to USB 2.o as discribed here:

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/usb/intel-mapping/intel.html

(the T:2,4,6,7,8:2" - Thing)

After you have populated all your ports, hit Q and then P in USBmap.

Now you see all your USB Ports mapped (populated)

Hit P to enable all populated Ports and then q for quit.

Then in:

OPENCORE EFI:

1. in config.plist under Kernel - Quirks set XhciPortLimit to TRUE

save config.plist

Restart, reset NVRAM restart

Open USBmap  with USBMap.command

Now you should see all your USB3.0 Ports.

Plug in a USB3.0 !! Device into every USB port on your PC even into USB c ports.

USBMap.command will populate all your USB 3.0 Ports.

Set your Ports to USB 3.0 as discribed here:

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/usb/intel-mapping/intel.html

(the T:2,4,6,7,8:3" - Thing)

After you have populated all your ports, hit Q and then P in USBmap.

Now you see all your USB2.0 AND USB3.0 Ports mapped (populated)

Hit P to enable all populated Ports

Hit D to disable all empty ports.

Hit K or L to built your USBMap.kext. depending on your MacOS

Copy USBmap.kext into EFI - OC- Kexts Folder.

open config.plist with propertree and make a snapshot to populate the new USBmap.kext in the config.plist

Restart, reset nvram, restart.

Voila, all Ports should work.

Open USBmap  with USBMap.command

Now you see:

1802308998_Screenshot2021-06-05at13_12_07.png.47c6d3a3dd1f0752237d5ea25e10c82f.png

some people set Port 10 and 11 (Bluetooth) to 255 instead of "3" to make it an internal port. If your Bluetooth doesn#t work, you can try this.

in config.plist under Kernel - Quirks set XhciPortLimit to False or true, it doesn#t really matter anymore. I have it on False because I have populated more than 15 Ports - However, I don#t know if that really matters or has any meaning and I do not care because:

IT WORKS !!!

Edited by kentsoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying some more things to get this resolved and I have found an easy workaround!

I have this MyBookWD external drive that I put and EFI partition sometime ago but the folder was empty, so I copied my known 11.2.2 working EFI folder to it. This folder uses usbports.kext and when I rebooted my SSD 11.4 was working again!! As a test I tried booting from the 11.4 drive and it wasn't working.

At this point I don't want to mess with things any further but I never realized that whatever shows up on top in your BIOS when selecting a boot drive is the default one. If that changes then it may throw off your expectations when making changes.

If you recreate your usbmap.kext using the new tool mentioned or hackintool it should fix the problem and xhciportlimit should be off if setup properly. I recreated a usbports.kext a and usbMap.kext and both working as they should in 11.4. The new tool is probably better because of it's non reliance of usbjinectall.kext.

Edited by pet1

Aha ... I got it working correctly now. From my original post "I never realized that whatever shows up on top in your BIOS when selecting a boot drive is the default one. If that changes then it may throw off your expectations when making changes."

It seems something I did changed the boot drive and so the one that became the default wasn't correct. I changed the order in BIOS and now 11.4 works with my usbports.kext just fine :)

I had thought there might be some sort of bug but no .... just the usual user getting things wrong ;)

I have an EFI on my SSD(11.4) and another on a HDD(11.2.2). In trying to figure out the USB thing with 11.4 I configured the USB related things differently. So when the default boot drive changed without me knowing what it meant I was not booting the config with the usbports.kext but the configuration that didn't work with 11.4.

Now that the boot drive is changed back everything is fine. I am still not sure why the default boot drive changed but now I know about this possibility

After a lot of time to try making usb working after upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur (directly 11.4), finally:

USBMap.png.186422d1c5385c212942308858e4c14e.png

After reading several guides about the usb problem, I solved it only thanks to that of kentsoon.

Only HS03 port is working USB2 instead of USB3, don't know why!