Opencore.efi with strange content

Hal9000

12 posts in this topic

No, you can read the source code here: https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/ef2db45050c4aed6aa2e93d7c00df45706ab4e13/Library/OcAppleKernelLib/KernelCollection.c#L120-L122

(Kremlin is right below if you scroll a tiny bit)

They look like just random names to not conflict with symbols within the kernel collection which OpenCore injects kexts into. Admittedly I'm not too familiar with how the kext injection works, but I don't see anything wrong with that.
OpenCore doesn't use any drivers to connect to the internet as well, and most firmwares don't have a network stack in them afaik which could actually communicate with the internet.

If you are really that worried, you can build it yourself too. They provide scripts to build it if you clone the repo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1Revenger1 said:

No, you can read the source code here: https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/ef2db45050c4aed6aa2e93d7c00df45706ab4e13/Library/OcAppleKernelLib/KernelCollection.c#L120-L122

(Kremlin is right below if you scroll a tiny bit)

They look like just random names to not conflict with symbols within the kernel collection which OpenCore injects kexts into. Admittedly I'm not too familiar with how the kext injection works, but I don't see anything wrong with that.
OpenCore doesn't use any drivers to connect to the internet as well, and most firmwares don't have a network stack in them afaik which could actually communicate with the internet.

If you are really that worried, you can build it yourself too. They provide scripts to build it if you clone the repo.

Hi 1Revenger1

Thank you very much! So I will give it a try ;-)

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

He's watching you!

Vlady.jpg

Hi Hervé

Hope he does not ...  ;-)

2 hours ago, Slice said:

:hysterical:

Hi Slice

Why do you list the systems you use? All with OpenCore?

Any clue as to what changed in Open Core with version 0.6.5 and newer that prevents it from chainloading from GRUB2?

Refind will chainload Open Core although supposedly it is not supposed to be supported by Refind.

Nevertheless, thanks to Slice for clover that injects the AirportItlwm kexts for intel wifi, with functionality in Big Sur and Catalina....

where booting with Open Core 0.6.9 doesn't give intel wifi functionality.

2 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

Interesting reading  some of the names we honor as pioneers of the hackintosh movement (including Slice) are mentioned.

They made several inaccuracies.

Clover mentioned only since El Capitan while it started at 10.7 times. I started Clover at 10.5.8.

They didn't mention other russian hacker vit9696 who is the author of OpenCore.

etc