Jump to content

Massive CPU usage at 11.3, 11.3.1 and 11.4


7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello Guys.

 

When I updated Big Sur to 11.3, my hack was freezing a lot. After opening the Intel Power Gadget, I realized that it was consuming 99% of the processing all the time. I opened the task manager and nothing showed this consumption. I upgraded to 11.3.1 and 11.4 and both have the same problem. I did a clean install of the various versions of Big Sur and Clover, and I realized that the problem only happens in Big Sur 11.3, 11.3.1 and 11.4, that is 11.3+.

It seems that it is not recognizing that my processor has a turbo booster up to 3.8Ghz and always stays at the base frequency of 3.2Ghz, consuming 99% of use and a lot of energy. I removed the SSDT, modified it, created a new one, but nothing worked.


Has anyone had the same problem and knows how to solve? I tested several versions of Clover but they all have this problem too.

 

My Clover: CLOVER.zip

 

Specs:

i7 3930K - Rampage IV Extreme x79 - RX 5700 XT

 

Here are the results:
Big Sur 11.2.3

11.2.3.thumb.png.4e47fa732188b734fc46d2cd2848ef39.png

1457013305_CapturadeTela2021-05-26s05_29_33.thumb.png.50061252fa53644d3d5ef84f736dce73.png

 

 

Big Sur 11.3.1 (same result in 11.3 and 11.4)
11.3.1.thumb.png.bdb419dbeb58c7879ddda6d05bf9a923.png

45557387_11.3.1geekbench.thumb.png.00a93650fc9649626f78c9458f464cec.png

Edited by Vinicius P. Miranda
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Allan said:

What is the version of Clover that you're using?

Run this: https://www.olarila.com/files/Utils/RunMe.app.zip

And post the report here

I'm using the clover r5135, but I tested it with more than 5 versions of Clover.

Send me Mac-Pro-de-Teste.zip

It's not the Index, I did several tests. I even thought it was a problem with the Intel Power Gadget, but the benchmarks and freezing of the system show the opposite.

To keep it registered: I tested it with both FakeSMC and VirtualSMC, changing the correct drivers as well.

Look at the photo below

 

3 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

You should run Activity Monitor as well to see what causes the high CPU useage. Sometimes services can cause abnormally high CPU useage temporarily.

Dont show nothing. I just overclocked a little to 4.2Ghz to see if anything changed, but it still consumes 99%.
As I said to Allan, I thought it could be a mistake on the Intel Power Gadget, but the benchmarks have dropped, and I'm feeling more heat coming out of the case.

At 11.4 the benchmarks went up a bit, I'm getting 612 single and 4800 multi, but it's still not normal

Edited by Vinicius P. Miranda

I'm surprised you Hack worked properly before!

 

I looked at your config and it's a complete mess with all sorts of ACPI renaming, all sorts of ACPI patches, all sorts of CPU power management settings and patches:

04.jpg

 

03.jpg

 

01.jpg

 

02.jpg

 

You need to make some extensive cleanup before anything else. Start by deleting all those disabled settings that make your config incredibly heavy and complex to read.

Then, go back to basics on the CPU power management front and get rid of all those mostly irrelevant settings:

  • Generate C States/P States; these apply to C2D/C2Q and 1st gen Core CPUs
  • XCPM and PlugIn type; consider that XCPM does not work well or not at all on Ivy Bridge CPUs. Stick to patched AICPUPM kext + generated CPU PM SSDT table. You're mixing everything in an awful mess at the moment
  • AICPUPM kext binary patches; never seen a list like that before.
  • Quirks for CPU PM; those are not required here, the classic items of the Clover config handle CPU PM
  • CPU type; don't think you need that either
  • etc, etc.

Ivy Bridge CPUs should be Ok with just AICPUPM patch enabled and the generated CPU PM table. Stick to the basics and refrain from overdoing things.

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2021 at 5:39 AM, Hervé said:

You need to make some extensive cleanup before anything else. Start by deleting all those disabled settings that make your config incredibly heavy and complex to read.

Then, go back to basics on the CPU power management front and get rid of all those mostly irrelevant settings:

  • Generate C States/P States; these apply to C2D/C2Q and 1st gen Core CPUs
  • XCPM and PlugIn type; consider that XCPM does not work well or not at all on Ivy Bridge CPUs. Stick to patched AICPUPM kext + generated CPU PM SSDT table. You're mixing everything in an awful mess at the moment
  • AICPUPM kext binary patches; never seen a list like that before.
  • Quirks for CPU PM; those are not required here, the classic items of the Clover config handle CPU PM
  • CPU type; don't think you need that either
  • etc, etc.

Ivy Bridge CPUs should be Ok with just AICPUPM patch enabled and the generated CPU PM table. Stick to the basics and refrain from overdoing things.

Hervé,

I don't need any of that, it was that mess because I was testing things. "CPU Type" is just for showing my CPU correctly in "About this mac". It's just cosmetic.

The problem is even in 2 patches of Kexts. I used these two patches that I show in the image below, from Catalina to Big Sur 11.2.3 (Clover and OC) to make the power management work very well. Recognizing even overclocking. Without one of these patches Power Management won't work, without the other the hack won't boot.

On 11.3+ these patches have stopped working, I can boot with or without them, but power management does not work. Something has changed in these Find values but I don't know where to look to find the correct value and replace it in Find.

 

These two patches that stopped working:

 

162523999_CapturadeTela2021-05-30s07_51_32.thumb.png.a4226dbec20f359c280451987651198c.png

Edited by Vinicius P. Miranda
×
×
  • Create New...