How to remove Apple Manufacturer and Model details from motherboard

angelflonne

11 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me how to reset my Intel D975XBX2 motherboard so it no longer displays the manufacturer as Apple Computer, Inc and the Model as MacPro1,1 in the BIOS and in Windows 10?

At some point during OSx86 installation a few years back I think I changed the motherboard memory or BIOS to force macOS to think it was running on a real Apple Mac. Now both Windows and the BIOS show the Manufacturer and Model as Apple. I've tried reinstalling the BIOS but it had no effect. I believe I can edit the registry in Windows to override this information but that's just hiding it.

Not really sure where to start? What tool might have done this and where is this information stored? I remember using Clover at the time. To be clear, my PC runs fine but it's annoying to have your PC tell you it's an Apple Mac when it's not and no way to delete it.

Very grateful for any help or suggestions where to search for more information. 

It is OpenCore who made settings for Windows.

If you will use Clover then your question will be resolved.

Sorry, I don't understand. I found OpenCore but I've never knowingly used it so I don't think it's relevant in this case is it? Are you saying Clover can be used to undo the change? How?

Maybe clearing NVRAM would do the trick; but if you made some BIOS mod some years ago, only you will know what to undo... -_-

Yes I can try clearing the NVRAM which I think is the same as resetting the CMOS. On my board I believe there's a jumper that will do that, I have to read up on it and report back after trying it.

18 minutes ago, angelflonne said:

Sorry, I don't understand. I found OpenCore but I've never knowingly used it so I don't think it's relevant in this case is it? Are you saying Clover can be used to undo the change? How?

Are you still using OpenCore? It changes identification dynamically.

• Like 1

Are you still using OpenCore? It changes identification dynamically.

Thanks for clarifying. No I don't think I've ever used OpenCore. The last time I experimented with OSx86 was about three years ago and I remember I used Clover at the time.

8 hours ago, angelflonne said:

Thanks for clarifying. No I don't think I've ever used OpenCore. The last time I experimented with OSx86 was about three years ago and I remember I used Clover at the time.

So explain me what is happen. You are booting Windows 10 on ordinary PC and see that Windows show you "Apple computer"? Without Hackintosh bootloader? What is happen before this? Why did you come to Hackintosh forum?

So explain me what is happen. You are booting Windows 10 on ordinary PC and see that Windows show you "Apple computer"? Without Hackintosh bootloader? What is happen before this? Why did you come to Hackintosh forum?

Correct. Around three years ago I used Clover to install macOS on my PC so I could dual boot macOS with Windows. I never got macOS working reliably so I removed it and reverted the system back to Windows only. However even though everything relating to macOS was removed the manufacturer is described as Apple Computer, Inc and the model is described as MacPro1,1 in the motherboard BIOS.

I don't know how this information was added or how to edit it so I can remove it. I would hope that any tool that changes a PC's BIOS as part of an installation would document how to undo it. I'm not sure if Clover does this or if anyone knows of any other tool that might have done this or can change it?

N.B. I came to Hackintosh forum because the cause of the issue is OSx86, I hope I've explained that clearly now :lol:, sorry if it wasn't clear before.

Edited by angelflonne

I re-flashed the BIOS but weirdly it didn't remove the manufacturer information as I expected, I also reset the CMOS and the clock reset so I believe it worked but again the information wasn't removed. I'm guessing the way a BIOS flash works is if the information doesn't exist for a field then when you re-flash it won't change the data for that field.

Thanks for the ozmosis tip---I'll take a look---and the clarification on clover which means I can rule that out. I originally attempted to run a Hackintosh many years before my last attempt with Clover, maybe it's a result of that attempt but it was so long ago,, like 2008 or something, I have no idea what tools I used at that time.