Weird issue: BS partition corrupted

LAbyOne

2 posts in this topic

As many here i've got multiple OS's on different disks

All, as per (time) installation have their own loader mainly Clover

What happened yesterday was actually totally unexpected and irritating at the same time.

Booting onto Mojave from an old version of Clover (can't remember which exactly, but relatively old maybe 4.xxx) got a warning  message, never saw before, concerning a non supported apfs container...

wtf is that, what's going on here??, was the first thought crossing my mind, and i'm not going to write here all could possibly came after not just into my mind but loudly spoken, discovering that that message really meant "dude i just f*****up your drive ahahahah."

no way after that to recover the partition, BS was gone, i had to reinstall the thing again...

i'm still trying to understand what could possibly have happened to cause the corruption, i'm incline to think that was something related to the old loader, and old apfs drivers (maybe) affecting ONLY BS, because on all other systems never had any issue like that.

could this somehow be related to  a *too old* Clover, to support that partition scheme?

but i guess, normally even if it was the case, the system would have simply ignored the drive as it does with many other unsupported by the system.. (oh well, its apple we'r talking about so...)

- was just an unexpected and irreproducible apple's effect, as many seem to happen nowadays?

- i'm totally speechless, if someone have even the slightest idea of what could be the possible cause of this, please leave your comment.

P.S.

to all Mods, not sure if this is the right place for this topic, please fell free to move it where you think its more appropriate, thx

Edited by LAbyOne

Thanks @Hervé for your reply,

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

You'd have to refine your exact Clover version but r4xxx certainly are fairly old and too old for either Catalina or Big Sur

i think its one of the latest revisions of that build..

But as I said all SSD have their own boot loader, so Moj has its own one, Cata has another more recent, and BS has 5132

and I simply booted into Moj using its own loader... the other drive where there only because i forgot to disconnect it before.. 

i normally have only one system + data drives (that's the reason why every ssd has its own boot)

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

With regards to a corrupt or missing Big Sur partition/APFS container, I guess you must have made something wrong with it. APFS containers were 1st introduced in High Sierra and generalised in Mojave.

Nothing more then staring up Clover booting into Mojave Desktop and reading that warning..

what really was curious for me new to BS, (just installed first time 2 days ago) was seeing instead of the main drive on Desktop, only the UPDATE folder... mounted. 

So i guess something really ominous happened i'm aware of that, can't simply understand what exactly.

Edited by LAbyOne