Can't install Big Sur on WD Black PCIe 512GB

zogthegreat

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to install Big Sur on my Latitude E7270 on a WD Black PCIe 512GB, (WD512G1X0C-00ENX0), and I'm having a problem. I can boot and do the initial installation. However, once the system reboots, I get dumped back into the installer, with no option to continue the installation. On a hunch, I swapped the WD for my Hynix SC300 256gb, (SATA), and Big Sur installed with no problem. 

Opening a terminal and running "diskutil list" gives me the following:

#:                                      TYPE  NAME                    Size                IDENTIFIER 

0:       GUID_partition_scheme                               *512.1 GB        disk0

1:                                         EFI   EFI                         209.7 MB      disk0s1

2:                         Apple_APFS    Container disk1    511.9 GB        disk0s2

So the drive is formatting properly, but every time, it drops me back to the basic installer, with no options displayed to continue the install. It really seems that the problem is the drive, but I'm stumped as to what it could be. I had Catalina running on this drive for about a year with no issues. I can install Windows 10 and Linux on the drive, it just seems to be a problem with OSX.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

zog

big_sur_install.jpg

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your drive?

There was an issue with Samsung SSDs working AFTER a firmware upgrade.

WD also has free download of Acronis Mac OS backup software if you are using a WD drive.

Edited by HenryV
addendum

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is just to follow up incase someone else has a similar problem. The drive was defective and I sent it into WD for RMA. After 4 months, they finally sent me a replacement drive. However, instead of a 512GB, the nice people at Western Digital sent me a 1TB instead! 

The moral of this story is if you keep having problems, check your hardware, you might have a problem.

And always RMA defective hardware if you can. You might get a free upgrade like I did! 😁

wd_1tb.jpg