Text entry Picker instead of Icons GUI in OpenCore 0.6.6

Professor

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I had the Icon Picker in OpenCore until OpenCore 0.6.5. Now that I upgraded to 0.6.6, I have the text picker instead of the Icon Picker, without changing anything in the settings. Are there new settings to get the Icon Picker back again in OpenCore 0.6.6?

Thanks for any help.

Professor©

21 minutes ago, Professor said:

Hello,

I had the Icon Picker in OpenCore until OpenCore 0.6.5. Now that I upgraded to 0.6.6, I have the text picker instead of the Icon Picker, without changing anything in the settings. Are there new settings to get the Icon Picker back again in OpenCore 0.6.6?

Thanks for any help.

Professor©

maybe under misc / pickervariant you need to set the variant: auto, default, old ....

Yeah, this seems to be catching a few people out. OpenCanopy now looks for Left.icns and Right.icns to support the new scroll function, and bails if it doesn’t find them.

For these kind of problems in the future be sure to use the debug build of OpenCore and its dependencies and the check the log. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Professor said:

Hello,

I had the Icon Picker in OpenCore until OpenCore 0.6.5. Now that I upgraded to 0.6.6, I have the text picker instead of the Icon Picker, without changing anything in the settings. Are there new settings to get the Icon Picker back again in OpenCore 0.6.6?...

OpenCanopy has been improved. In this version I have had to use the Resources folder from the @Andrey1970 GitHub site because OC 0.6.6 needs 2 new icons, Left and Right. If they are missing, the Picker is displayed in text mode.

In Misc> Boot, PickerVariant key can have different values (Auto, Default, Old, Modern) and Images folder within Resources can have icon sets of 3 groups: no prefix (Default), prefixed with Modern and prefixed with Old. Auto option chooses the set of icons according to the NVRAM variable DefaultBackgroundColor, for Light Gray it chooses the Old prefix, for any other color it chooses the set without prefix.

OpenCanopy has also added the option of image as the background of the Picker screen.

Edited by miliuco
Corrected Andrey1970 user name.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blackosx said:

Don’t forget you can also set PickerVariant to

• Other value — Custom icon set if supported by the resources.

See my post here

Thanks for remember it.

Your post is the best explanation of these changes in OpenCanopy. Sorry for not having read it before. Clear and concise.

You are the OpenCanopy customization expert :)

Edited by miliuco
Info added.
  • Like 2