What is the best temperature monitoring app?

KrustyKrab

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm on a dual boot system, which has Windows 10 running fine with its own temperature monitoring.

I'm looking for a temperature monitoring solution for the Big Sur OS when I'm using it as a Mac.

Have looked at TG Pro (they claim to also support Hackintosh). The part that scares me is the fact that the software provides fan control (which my machine has 11 fans as opposed to the 2 fans on the iMac) so I'd rather avoid that.

I've got my own manual fan control switch and have setup the fan speeds in the BIOS so I'm looking for temperature monitoring only since I don't know for sure my CPU and GPU temperatures have been optimised with my current configuration.

Thanks in advance!

There are several applications to choose from.

1. HWSensors3 project

https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/FakeSMC3_with_plugins/releases

2. HWMonitorSMC2 using IORegistry reading

https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/HWMonitorSMC2/releases

3. To see only CPU temperature you may use  Intel Power Gadget

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-power-gadget.html

4. and others

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Slice said:

First one because I am one of authors.

Sounds great!

Sorry I am so new to all of this. Would you be able to assist with very basic steps on how to get it running?

I'm assuming I should be downloading from Release 242?

I downloaded the HWMonitorSMC.app, and enabled it to be opened in security settings, but nothing happens when I click on it.

Do I have to download the other 3 files too? Very new to kexts as well, so not too sure what to do with the kext file.

Thanks again.

Some of the kexts not needed for you. And be sure the FakeSMC.kext is only *SMC.kext in your system.

Installing kexts is usual procedure for Hackintosh. Are you need a full tutorial what is hackintosh and how to do it?

On 12/18/2020 at 8:30 PM, Slice said:

Some of the kexts not needed for you. And be sure the FakeSMC.kext is only *SMC.kext in your system.

Installing kexts is usual procedure for Hackintosh. Are you need a full tutorial what is hackintosh and how to do it?

I might need a tutorial on it.

I believe I got my Hackintosh working (for the most part) out of sheer luck so there's a big portion of the learning curve I've missed but I don't know what I don't know if that makes sense.

Thanks again. Appreciate the help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...