Welcome to InsanelyMac.com - No more ads! And some exciting news... Read more... ×
qmgoqwe

Opencore Bootmanager - booting Windows 10 causes blue screen

7 posts in this topic

I have installed MacOS and Windows on the following hardware:

• AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5600 XT 6G
  • Samsung 860 QVO, 1 TB SSD (PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x3)/Pci(0x0,0x1)/Sata(0x5,0xFFFF,0x0)) - MacOS on this disk
  • Kingston A2000 SSD 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe (PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,15-AD-CD-26-28-B7-26-00)) - Windows on this disk

• OpenCore 0.6.1
  • MacOS 10.15.7
  • both disks GPT
  • UEFI

Both OSs boot nicely and work as a charm when selecting either of the disks as boot disks in the BIOS.

However, trying to boot Windows 10 from the Opencore Bootmanager (no matter whether PickerMode=internal or OpenCanopy) causes a Windows Blue Screen ("SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED").

To be on the safe side, I have added an appropriate entry to Misc->Entries:

<key>Arguments</key>
<string></string>
<key>Auxiliary</key>
<false/>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Not signed for security reasons</string>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Windows 10</string>
<key>Path</key>
<string>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,15-AD-CD-26-28-B7-26-00)/HD(1,GPT,2E9695CB-0F9A-4005-AADB-2FF9C96AD02C,0x800,0x32000)/\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi</string>

It points to the Windows 10 bootmanager on the Windows disk's EFI partition.

What's wrong with that? Why does this cause a BSOD? It is not clear to me why it works when booting from BIOS but not here.

config.plist attached (but maybe it has no relevance for the problem).

config.plist

Edited by qmgoqwe

Usually if it blue screens like that - it's related to Booter->Quirks or ACPI. I'd also suggest setting PlatformInfo->UpdateSBMIOSMode to "Custom" and Kernel->Quirks->CustomSMBIOSGUID = true if you do not want the Mac SMBIOS being applied to windows. What does SSDT-SHC0.aml look like?

I have tried to apply your proposed changes

• PlatformInfo->UpdateSBMIOSMode to "Custom"
  • Kernel->Quirks->CustomSMBIOSGUID = true 

This alone didn't change anything. Blue screen as before.

I have attached the aml file you requested.

SSDT-SHC0.aml

Still no progress with this problem... Any ideas?

Please find attached the dsl files for the two aml files I'm actually using. 

To me they look good in the sense that they check the OS before returning a modification

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                    {
                        Return (Zero)
                    }
                    Else
                    {
                        Return (0x0F)
                    }

so they should not affect the Windows boot process, am I not right?

Help would me much appreciated!

SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.dsl

SSDT-SHC0.dsl

oops! Sorry, didn't see your older post (am now following this thread so I should actually get notifications).

I don't see anything wrong specifically with the SSDTs, I'm guessing they're fine (could always disable them and try booting windows to check though).
It may be some quirks under Booter->Quirks as well - or your AMD system has the same issue that my AMD system has where OpenRuntime just has issues booting windows. I have to custom build OC with a bit removed (though I think I'm gonna put in a bug report about it and see if it can be fixed)

Edited by 1Revenger1

On 10/23/2020 at 8:25 PM, 1Revenger1 said:

oops! Sorry, didn't see your older post (am now following this thread so I should actually get notifications).

I don't see anything wrong specifically with the SSDTs, I'm guessing they're fine (could always disable them and try booting windows to check though).
It may be some quirks under Booter->Quirks as well - or your AMD system has the same issue that my AMD system has where OpenRuntime just has issues booting windows. I have to custom build OC with a bit removed (though I think I'm gonna put in a bug report about it and see if it can be fixed)

@1Revenger1 what would your Opencore look like then? 

Make sure that both secure boot and TPM are disabled in the bios and that windows was installed in EFI mode or has been configured after the install to boot in EFI mode.  Move the BCD files to the main Windows partition as they are not there by default.  Verify that your machine is booting in EFI mode and not CSM.  Verify that your boot EFI boot partition has boot and ESP flags set.

Make sure you shut down windows while holding down the shift key until completely shut down.

You would do well to use GRUB2 as your main boot loader and chainload windows bootloader and chainload clover or open core to boot macOS.

Your GRUB2 grub.cfg boot entries should look similar to these where xxxx-xxxx is the UUID of the boot partition:

menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/sda1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-efi-xxxx-xxxx' {
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod fat
    set root='hd0,gpt1'
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt1 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt1 xxxx-xxxx
    else
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root xxxx-
    fi
    chainloader /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

menuentry "Clover"{
   insmod part_gpt
   search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid xxxx-xxxx
   chainloader /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi    # or whatever path you use
}

menuentry "Open Core"{
    insmod part_gpt