Jump to content
Matgen84

failed to validate chunkList Catalina 10.15.7

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all users

 

I don't know if it's the right place to post my issue.
 

I download 3 times Full Catalina 10.15.7 for a clean installation and try 2 USB stick without success: Panic cpu 0 failed to validate root image against chunklist. Screenshot below.

I try Clover and Opencore, same issue. Maybe Catalina 10.15.7 installer is buggy ???

Any ideas, please. 

 

Spoiler

3.thumb.jpg.8bdf06f71a8073f082386cfce75f2bc4.jpg

 

Share this post

Hi @Matgen84,

 

Try verifying SHA1 hashes of BaseSystem.dmg and InstallESD.dmg inside your Installer.app.  Here are mine for 10.15.7 "Install macOS Catalina.app"...

fusion71au@fusion71ausiMac ~ % shasum /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg
659df693220f543976e8ce22fd3cd025200bf8d4  /Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg
fusion71au@fusion71ausiMac ~ % shasum /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
dee249c729ef80c6d2b8b09f74cdcc0e5b352984  /Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

 

If the hashes are the same, also check your OC config.plist/Misc/Security/DmgLoading setting (mine set to "Any")...

Spoiler

261400398_SecurityDmgLoadingsetting.png.b004a1ccb8b37c9e6200c40a2a216333.png

 

Good Luck!

Share this post

6 hours ago, fusion71au said:

 

Good Luck!

 

Thanks @fusion71au

 

I verify the SHA1 hashes, they are the same :
 

Spoiler

iMac-de-Mathieu:~ mathieu$ shasum /Users/mathieu/Downloads/Outils_Bootloader/macOS\ 10.15/Catalina-10.15.7.19H2/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg

659df693220f543976e8ce22fd3cd025200bf8d4  /Users/mathieu/Downloads/Outils_Bootloader/macOS 10.15/Catalina-10.15.7.19H2/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg

iMac-de-Mathieu:~ mathieu$ shasum /Users/mathieu/Downloads/Outils_Bootloader/macOS\ 10.15/Catalina-10.15.7.19H2/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

dee249c729ef80c6d2b8b09f74cdcc0e5b352984  /Users/mathieu/Downloads/Outils_Bootloader/macOS 10.15/Catalina-10.15.7.19H2/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg


I put my OC config.plist/Misc/Security/DmgLoading setting to 'Any' instead of Signed. I try to boot with Opencore. This setting doesn't exist in Clover (new) and his config.plist....

Very strange issue, it(s the first time since I download and create USB Installer for macOS :(

Share this post

@Matgen84,

 

If BaseSystem.dmg and InstallESD.dmg are the same, maybe the problem lies with the other files in your /Catalina/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport?

 

  • AppleDiagnostics.chunklist
  • AppleDiagnostics.dmg
  • BaseSystem.chunklist
  • InstallInfo.plist

 

Try replacing the files in your SharedSupport folder with attached files from my 10.15.7 Installer.app SharedSupport folder.

 

Out of curiosity, did you download the installer from Official Mac App Store or did you use a utility like @crazybirdy's installScript_1016fullapp to download from Apple Software Catalog?  Maybe there is some App Store signature required?

 

 

 

14 hours ago, Matgen84 said:


I use @crazybirdy as usual to download regular or developer beta.

Note: I don't understand the modification date in one of your file

 

13 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

@fusion71au Right, the problem lies to the other files. Why that is the question ?

 

In my case, I downloaded the Catalina 10.15.7 installer app from Mac App Store instead of using @crazybirdy's script.  To make the installer USB, I just used Apple's createinstallmedia utility.

 

Maybe the strange forward dating on BaseSystem.chunklist and InstallInfo.plist explains the difference why it now works when you replaced the files?  Not really sure myself...

 

Edited by fusion71au
Extra questions
Share this post

13 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

@Matgen84,

 

If BaseSystem.dmg and InstallESD.dmg are the same, maybe the problem lies with the other files in your /Catalina/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport?

 

  • AppleDiagnostics.chunklist
  • AppleDiagnostics.dmg
  • BaseSystem.chunklist
  • InstallInfo.plist

 

Try replacing the files in your SharedSupport folder with attached files from my 10.15.7 Installer.app SharedSupport folder.

 

Out of curiosity, did you download the installer from Official Mac App Store or did you use a utility like @crazybirdy's installScript_1016fullapp to download from Apple Software Catalog?  Maybe there is some App Store signature required?


I use @crazybirdy as usual to download regular ou developer beta. Now, I try your solution. Thanks.

Note: I don't understand the modification date in one of your file: below

 

 

Capture d’écran 2020-10-03 à 10.27.07.png

Edited by Matgen84
Share this post

On 10/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, Matgen84 said:

@fusion71au Right, the problem lies to the other files. Why that is the question ?

To make USB, I use DiskMaker X or Install Disk creator: both apps who works fine usually.

If you any other ideas! 

 

Thanks.

 

You can try another USB sticky, the USB sticky could have some issue if shasum is fine.

Share this post

8 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

 

You can try another USB sticky, the USB sticky could have some issue if shasum is fine.


I try one USB Stick and two USB Hard drive, download 3 times Installer 10.15.7 : same issue Panic cpu 0 failed to validate root image against chunklist

Share this post

7 hours ago, Matgen84 said:


I try one USB Stick and two USB Hard drive, download 3 times Installer 10.15.7 : same issue Panic cpu 0 failed to validate root image against chunklist

 

try kernel patch.

 

find

0f 85 05 10 00 00

replace

90 90 90 90 90 90

Share this post

5 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

 

try kernel patch.

 

find

0f 85 05 10 00 00

replace

90 90 90 90 90 90

 

Sorry for my question: why is it necessary to place this kernel patch in my config.pist.

I prefer your script (the best one for me), but to find a solution I've tried corpnewt's script: no issue panic cpu 0 failed to validate root image against chunklist

Share this post

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

 

Sorry for my question: why is it necessary to place this kernel patch in my config.pist.

I prefer your script (the best one for me), but to find a solution I've tried corpnewt's script: no issue panic cpu 0 failed to validate root image against chunklist

 

The download script and 10.15.7 full app work fine here.

I think it is not full installer app issue if shasum is ok.

Kernel patch is the other unnecessary option to try it.

 

It could USB disk issue.

You can try the USB installer on the other PC to make sure the USB works or not

Share this post

8 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

 

The download script and 10.15.7 full app work fine here.

I think it is not full installer app issue if shasum is ok.

Kernel patch is the other unnecessary option to try it.

 

It could USB disk issue.

You can try the USB installer on the other PC to make sure the USB works or not


You're right ! But I already try 1 USB stick, two external drive : same issue. I also download 3 times 10.15.7 full app with your script and create USB Installer, also 3 times. Very strange ! 
 

The only thing that I didn't try is to manually download Catalina with your script.

Edited by Matgen84
Share this post

×