Appreciate some direction on how to check compatibility and how to install and set up the relevant MacOs

Equiano

5 posts in this topic

Hi

I am new to InsanelyMac and an average PC user. I am not at all familiar with Macs.

I would like to dual boot on my PC: Windows 10 (current) and MacOs. I have recently installed Ubuntu on the spare Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB. I am happy to write over the Ubuntu with a MacOs, but would like to know if it is possible to triple boot. I should think this would require me to have ideally another separate drive? At this point, I need some direction on how to check compatibility and how to install and set up the relevant MacOs.

For reference, my signature gives the basics of my set up.

I would be grateful if you could direct me to the most appropriate forum locations.

It is very possible to dual or triple boot OS's, ideally it is much better to have each operating system on their respective drive as there would be less chance to corrupt the others during installation, also you will be able to isolate each drive if they are sata connected during installation to minimise errors on your part.

Have a look here -

You can modify the methods discussed to suit your own needs, like I said try to have each operating system on separate disks than on a large drive although that two is very possible but slightly harder for a beginner. Forget about Virtulisation and concentrate on how you installed Windows or any other OS. Some of the posts will have simplified methods how other members achieved the objective you're looking for. Good luck.

Edited by eSaF
Added info

Wow, thank you very much responders. I was feeling quite overwhelmed at the start, but your informative answers gave me much needed orientation, structure and resources for my intention.

Hervé got me thinking if I should upgrade my GPU to be able to operate Catalina, which of course lead me to a whole lot more questions: is it worth it? Would my motherboard, memory and CPU also need upgrading? Are they compatible with a new GPU? What PCI-E version do I have? How much money am I talking about? ...and so on. SavageAUS link answered some of those questions. For example, the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB is listed around £165. I also established that I have PCI-E v3.

eSaF’s post helped me focus on MacOs more, as that would be more beneficial and more straightforward for me.

My partner suggested I can start with High Sierra without any excessive costs and see how it goes.

Edited by Equiano

• 2 months later...

Attached is an EFi for skylake laptop with intel 520 built in graphics.  Supply your own platform info/SMBIOS.  Disable lapic of your CPU does not need it.  Use this only as a guide as it is for HP.

Download and install ProperTree from github for GUI editing the open core config.plist.

Start with a minimum of kexts and drivers and disable in config.plist any not in use.

You can use GRUB2 to boot Windows, linux, macOS and android.  See prior HenryV post for the windows/open core/clover menuentries to grub.cfg.

EFI.zip