Apple unveils "macOS Big Sur"

10 posts in this topic

Qemu currently does a good job emulating ARM on x86 but performance will not be great. I have played with this, usually the best performance is when you use KVM and run the same arch on both the guest and host.

But that's only the CPU.

Ideally we could use a powerful ARM board(something that will be available in the future maybe, maybe Rockchip based) that can use Qemu for ARM64 to efficiently emulate a Macbook. Linux 5.7 has just dropped KVM support for ARM32 but has kept it for ARM64(AArch64) so there is hope there.

I was actually thinking maybe Chromebooks might be a usable platform but who knows what GPUs ARM Macs will have. Some Chromebooks are ARM64(AArch64) and then there is the Pinebook 64.

I think the biggest problem is that ARM chips that are available for us regular folks are packaged in custom SoCs with no option on what peripherals to include, but who knows, someone might build a custom SoC just for this!

I guess we will just have to wait and see...

Edited by crazyquark

"Big Sur" ... Really? ... I mean,... really?

They should've sticked with OSX version numbering in the first place,...lmfao

It's probably an internal joke at headquarters that whoever comes up with the most ridiculous name for the next iteration get's chosen for the actual release candidate...

Although I'm long gone from the hackintosh community, I think it's great that ARM is dominating mobile now and coming slowly to desktop too. People are already building rigs with it. It's proven to be a great chipset from what one can read. This will also possibly prevent AMD from becoming the new Intel and just milk the whole market 'cause there's no competition.

But seriously,...the names,...

Could've called it "Your Mom"...

Edited by Deridjian
changed phrasing
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deridjian said:

"Big Sur" ... Really? ... I mean,... really?

They should've sticked with OSX version numbering in the first place,...lmfao

It's probably an internal joke at headquarters that whoever comes up with the most ridiculous name for the next iteration get's chosen for the actual release candidate...

Although I'm long gone from the hackintosh community, I think it's great that ARM is dominating mobile now and coming slowly to desktop too. People are already building rigs with it. It's proven to be a great chipset from what one can read. This will also possibly prevent AMD from becoming the new Intel and just milk the whole market 'cause there's no competition.

But seriously,...the names,...

Could've called it "Your Mom"...

Big Sur is a well known place in California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sur

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

Hahaha thanks for the clarification Ellybz, I'm sure it's well known to every Californian and a lot of Americans, but the whole world is using MacOS/iOS by now, and it just sounds horrible from an advertising point of view, IMHO.

(Btw, I'm living in Mexico, I was suspecting that it would have something to do with California, but really, they're trying too hard to be cool...)

Again, thanks for the pointer ;)

Edited by Deridjian

While Apple has asked developers not to do performance or benchmark tests on their developer kit devices, it was just a matter of hours until those showed up on the Internet.

According to Geekbench 5 scores, it is averaging 835 on Single core, 2800 on multi core. Much lower than other similarly devices, including the recent iPad Pro, but not that bad against the entry MacBook Air.

More on the below link.

https://www.neowin.net/news/the-first-benchmarks-are-in-for-apples-arm64-macos-development-kit/