Ten2Pwr6

HP Probook 470 G5 - Bios update breaks USB Port Limts

6 posts in this topic

If someone out there has any experience with the HP Probook 470 G5 ... I could use some help.  I've spent the better part of the day trying to fix things, and honestly, it's not worth it any more... I'm ready to go back to Win10.

I've had 10.14.5 working fine (for 1 yr plus)... but every time I try to update the HP BIOS higher than 01.08... it breaks.  It won't boot.  I've tried for 10 hours today to fix the port limits but it just won't take.

Advertisement
If someone out there has any experience with the HP Probook 470 G5 ... I could use some help.  I've spent the better part of the day trying to fix things, and honestly, it's not worth it any more... I'm ready to go back to Win10.

I've had 10.14.5 working fine (for 1 yr plus)... but every time I try to update the HP BIOS higher than 01.08... it breaks.  It won't boot.  I've tried for 10 hours today to fix the port limits but it just won't take.

Why do you need to “fix” the port limits on a laptop? How are you “fixing” the port limits? Have you tried switching to OC (assuming your using clover?)
Mapping USB ports is a simple task with hackintool if that’s what your trying to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, firstly, thanks for responding.  I was pretty frustrated when I wrote the post.  I ended up getting back to booting right after Posting this topic... but still can't update BIOS to latest.

I built this laptop with 10.14.5 about 1 1/2 years ago.  Had a heck of a time figuring it out.  Couldn't find anyone who had done it with with specific laptop. Long story short, I was able to get it up and running using an iMac18,1 profile... along with Clover, FakeSMS, Lilu, WhatEverGreen, etc.  All was good.  Had a few issues, but updating from Clover r4920 to r5070 and then to r5090 (?) helped and it continued to work... okay at least.

It also has a separate M.2 Disk that I run Windows 10 on ... updated to their latest builds (Beta usually) to stay involved and to use whenever I have a specific task that requires a Windows-base system.  So, I used Clover for booting either, whenever.  It's been working fine... except that when I try to update the HP BIOS from 01.08 (01.09, 01.10, 01.11, 01.11.1) it won't boot into OS X.

So, I keep going back to 01.08 and continue to use it as-is.

Recently, I started to have some type of hardware issue... the laptop would just power off (literally shut off mid-whatever).  Being fairly reliant upon this for daily use, I actually bought an exact duplicate model as a spare (for the wife to use at night, if she needed it - "justification" LoL ) ... well, with this Covid-19 {censored}... she's working from home full time and using it full-time. Dooh!!!

Back to figuring this one out.  When I started having issues... it was either buy YET another one... or spend a day or two and try to fix (update) this one.

Normally, I wouldn't think that this all-of-a-sudden issue was BIOS related, but a lot of HP Forum Staff responses pointed to things that could be addressed with a BIOS update.  Since I was on 01.08 and they now have 01.11.1 (all within 18mos.) ... I figured it was a a good starting point to update the bios to continue hardware troubleshooting.

During the trouble shooting... I cloned the Mojave SSD as a backup... and used a USB boot with Clover to troubleshoot.  I thought that I had everything covered.  Well, what ended up happening is that the laptop had been using a cache extension for... like forever... and when I kept booting with -v -f to rebuild the cache... I was blowing the working ones away without knowing it.   So, when I gave up and went back to 01.08 BIOS nothing worked, it wouldn't boot again.  Pizzed-Off and frustrated.

So I was forced to address the issue... why wouldn't it boot.  Basically, coming to the conclusion of the USB port limits as the BIOS changed from 01.08 to anything higher.  And, that Clover KextPatching needed to be done properly anyway with 10.14.x.  I found plenty of information, guides, etc.  But nothing was working... 10 hours trying this and that... nothing was working.

Finally, I thought to go back to the very basic, basics... following @Redman guides and knowledge.  Shortly after posting this topic, I changed the profile that Clover was using from iMac18.1 to MacBookPro5,2 (old reliable 5,2)... it fired up but threw a very fast kernel panic and a faster reboot.  But I was able to READ THE PANIC LOG and see that Lilu was panicking.  I updated Lilu, WhateverGreen, FakeSMC (not VirtualSMC), etc to the latest, latest... back to iMac19,1 and boom.. it booted into the OS.

I'm back to the iMac18.1 profile with the updated kexts and usb port patches (#1-#4 for the USB XHCI stuff).

Updating to the latest HP BIOS 01.11.1 still breaks it... 

No matter what you should not be using a desktop smbios on a laptop.

Update your signature with laptop specs.

Post your config (minus serials) for help.

Specifically looking for someone out there has any experience with the HP Probook 470 G5.  Want to talk about the BIOS and how it breaks Clover/Mojave

Newest bios on HP g5 also disable undervolting (wich you should really do as it improves thermals and battery by a lot) so why even bother ?
Use voltageshift and use voodooi2c for amazing trackpad gestures support and be happy (way better than windows)