Why the GMA900 JaS solution is NOT a solution.

B612

159 posts in this topic

Hi B612,

I'm trying your solution with an onboard GMA915 on my laptop. I tryed to install your packages while Jas Gma900 didn't worked for me (no QE/CI) but on laptop reboot I got blue screen even using a key dongle as I was always using .

Do you know how to fix this?

Many thanks in advance for your hard work!

Thanks

Max ;)

Hi,

I'm trying to use a dual monitor connected at my laptop port to see if the problem was related on primary/second display but unfortunately isn't so.

Both laptop and monitor display are blue (default mac background) but no SO loads, no spinning mouse, nothing...

I also changed Boot configuration to remove 1280 parameter thinking about high resolution but with no luck...

Do you think is necessary a re-install?

Thanks

Max

ok i got my gma900 fully supported in 10.4.8....

remove all the 950 kexts in the extensions folder

install gma900 package off of dvd

repair permissions

reboot

after reboot you will get a message that AppleIntel915.kext was not installed properly

open terminal...

cd /system/Library/Extensions

sudo Chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel915.kext

sudo kextload AppleIntel915.kext

reboot it should work now CI/QE supported

Hi B612,

I'm trying your solution with an onboard GMA915 on my laptop. I tryed to install your packages while Jas Gma900 didn't worked for me (no QE/CI) but on laptop reboot I got blue screen even using a key dongle as I was always using .

Do you know how to fix this?

Many thanks in advance for your hard work!

Thanks

Max ;)

Hi,

I'm trying to use a dual monitor connected at my laptop port to see if the problem was related on primary/second display but unfortunately isn't so.

Both laptop and monitor display are blue (default mac background) but no SO loads, no spinning mouse, nothing...

I also changed Boot configuration to remove 1280 parameter thinking about high resolution but with no luck...

Do you think is necessary a re-install?

Thanks

Max

I'm having the same problem after installing B612's package for the first time on a Toshiba M70 laptop. It looks like the OS loads, but all I get is a blue screen.

The wire trick worked before in a previous installation of OSx86, but it doesn't work now. Don't know what's the problem.

p.s. Could it be the resolution? My laptob is 1280x800 forgot what the refresh rate is.

I have the same symptom as you, p2pow350. You don't need to reinstall but just delete AppleIntel915.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext (both in /System/Library/Extensions).

My machine is a GMA900 notebook running 10.4.8 (SSE2). At first I can run JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.Support.pkg successfully with CI&QE enabled by 1-wire method (I use 10-12 pin). Then I tried B612 package by using B612.GMA900.back.to.10.4.8.pkg and B612.GMA900Support.pkg, respectively. After that I can't boot pass the blue screen whether or not using a dongle. When connected an external monitor it shows up a blur picture consisting about a quarter of actual desktop. A blur cursor disappears when start moving a mouse. I tried every methods that work on Jas package but those methods all failed on B612 package. Anyway I still hope for a better performance from B612 package. Which kind of information I should log more to identify a problem?

ok i got my gma900 fully supported in 10.4.8....

remove all the 950 kexts in the extensions folder

install gma900 package off of dvd

repair permissions

reboot

after reboot you will get a message that AppleIntel915.kext was not installed properly

open terminal...

sudo Chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext

reboot it should work now CI/QE supported

This method didn't work here. First I had no 950 kexts to remove, but I went ahead and installed the gma900 package off the dvd. Repair permissions? What are you talking about? I went ahead again and rebooted and got this message instead of yours:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Opened the terminal and followed the rest of the procedure. Rebooted and now my system hangs at the grey screen.

Had to boot into safe mode went into de Extensions folder and deleted 3 915 kexts, but now every time I boot I get the same message that this is missing:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Meh, so much for that...

Edited by snoxu

Actually it says it's not installed properly.... sorry about mixing that up. So do you sugest I install yours?

Here's the actual message:

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.
Edited by snoxu

yes everything works great for me. I havent had any problems. TOAST 8 works too.

when it says that it is not installed properly that usually means that the permission were not set right. if you look in the post that i left it give me that message for the 915 kext. So the commands i enter in terminal is to set the permissions. For some reason I had to set them manually. Diskutil would set them right.

Ok I will help as much as possible...

install the jas gma900support package off of the install dvd.

delete /system/library/extensions.kextcache and extensions.mkext files

reboot

when you reboot you will get a message stating that AppleIntel915.Kext was not installed correctly

open terminal and type

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext

It should tell you that AppleIntel915.kext loaded succesfully

reboot.

post back and let me know how it goes!

yes everything works great for me. I havent had any problems. TOAST 8 works too.

when it says that it is not installed properly that usually means that the permission were not set right. if you look in the post that i left it give me that message for the 915 kext. So the commands i enter in terminal is to set the permissions. For some reason I had to set them manually. Diskutil would set them right.

PPC apps + OpenGL don't work for me. Could you please try to run QuickTime with Rosetta?

Thanks again!!!!

Edited by skn

I've just tried again.

Same result... Everything works fine but PPC apps which require OpenGL support... :help:

I think we GMA900 owners will have to upgrade to a new card... :wallbash:

im new with the whole rosetta thing. I am able to run carbon copy cloner which is a ppc app just fine. tell me how to run quicktime in rosetta. "probably a stupid question" but I will let you know

Go to Applications folder, right click on QuickTime Icon, Get Info, then select "Open with Rosetta" option.

Then try to play a movie with QT. Let me know if it works...

Thanks!!!

no im not able to. sorry about that. didnt mean to get you all excited!

OK. No problem...

Time to go back to my orginal plan (replace my GMA900 with a new card)... :wallbash:

BTW, any sugestions? Is the XFX7600GS a good option?

I figured it out. It was because I wasn't executing the repair permissions command. I googled it, found the command and your procedure finally worked

Now how do I test the driver? Do I try to run some specific kind of app?

Edited by snoxu

I figured it out. It was because I wasn't executing the repair permissions command. I googled it, found the command and your procedure finally worked

Now how do I test the driver? Do I try to run some specific kind of app?

Run System Profiler and check if Quartz and Core Image are both supported. Anyway, with BJ's solution you wil not be able to run PPC/OpenGL programs...

Hi BJ,

thanks to your short guide I was able to have my gma900 card fully supported by the os (qe/ci enabled) !!!

I wasn't able to use jas gma900 and this was the reason why I tested B612 packages...

After this test I reverted installation back to default and tested B612 but I got blue screen so I followed again bj guide.

Thanks again, so now my graphic card is working

Max

Ok..

So first I followed B.J's guide..which lead me to a blue & black screen with or without repairing permissions..so I totally scratched that.

Then tried B612's pkg GMA900support.pkg which actually got my CI & QE supported but when I played videos only thing I got was white screen..

so I'm back to the Jas GMA900 pkg which enables me to modify my resolution, it recognizes my display but no CI & QE support..which kinda sucks..

so..now i guess i'll have to deal with the fact that I am definately not getting my CI/QE supported with these guides..

total bummer...

Edited by maca1

• 3 weeks later...

No seeders to try the gma package solution, can you upload to rapidhare or something?

I supose my problem with the dvd playback it's because the gma915 issue (dvd player says A valid video device could not be found for playback -70017)

thnx for all the effort

No seeders to try the gma package solution, can you upload to rapidhare or something?

I supose my problem with the dvd playback it's because the gma915 issue (dvd player says A valid video device could not be found for playback -70017)

thnx for all the effort

I am seeding. Please check back and re-try.

Anyway let me know.