Why the GMA900 JaS solution is NOT a solution.

B612

159 posts in this topic

OK. I have made some packages for those who have a GMA900:

1) B612.GMA900Support.pkg.

This uses the same logic of JaS' support, but it is faster. It doesn't give you the possibility to change your screen resolution, but it sets it to 1280x1024, so I guess it satisfies everybody. :P

2) B612.GMA900.back.to.10.4.8.pkg

I think this package is essential for those who want to undo all the changes of JaS' GMA900Support and of course B612's Support as well. After applying this pkg, the PPC applications work perfectly well and everything works well, even though the speed of the GMA is much slower than in the other version.

then I have made two pkgs that you can use after applying the B612.GMA900Support.pkg to instantly switch between the PPC and the fast GMA mode.

3) B612.OpenGLPPC.pkg

I use this package when I need to work in Powerpoint or in other PPC programs that use video.

Then, after using those applications, I simply (and quickly) click on

4) B612.OpenGLfast.pkg

and I get back to the fast GMA, as it was after the B612.GMA900Support.pkg, without the need of rebooting.

I have JaS 10.4.8 installed, but I have problem with my 915G. The problem is that it says that QE and core image isn't supported. Everything else is working and I can change the resolution. But some applications doesn't work if I don't have support for QE. It was working for me in the other releases from JaS. Will the solution that you have also help me? Where can I download the files?

Best regards

Peter

Edited by poon

ok this may be dumb, but here goes...

i've been building a hackintosh HTPC over the past few months (see?) and am considering upgrading it from its current install (JaS 10.4.7 w/ 10.4.4 kernel) to an all-10.4.8 install, like my main hackintosh.

however, the htpc has a GMA900 onboard, so im concerned about the issues mentioned here. basically, what i care about:

- QuickTime playback (for Front Row)

- EyeTV

- Sleep / Wake

- Fixed 1024x786 resolution (all the external VGA->S-Video converter handles :thumbsup_anim:)

is there any combination of kexts and frameworks which will let me use 10.4.8, or should i stick with 10.4.7/4 ?

tia

Hi, munky! :hysterical:

If you are using many PPC video applications, I would suggest to stick with 10.4.7.

Otherwise, I find my solutions the best (and the quickest) possible remedy, so far. Before getting there I have tried so many combinations of kext and frameworks, but the best result I have got is in those packages.

I find the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext more useful in the latest version, which is faster, but it doesn't allow to change the resolution from System Preferences. So in my GMA900 Support I have enclosed a modified version of com.apple.Boot.plist which forces the resolution to 1280x1024. If you decide to install this pkg, you should manually modify that string in order to force the resolution to 1024x786, as you like. Otherwise, you could install JaSGMA900Support, which works well but includes the old AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext. That's the 20% slower, but it allows you to change the resolution from the System Preferences.

I have JaS 10.4.8 installed, but I have problem with my 915G. The problem is that it says that QE and core image isn't supported. Everything else is working and I can change the resolution. But some applications doesn't work if I don't have support for QE. It was working for me in the other releases from JaS. Will the solution that you have also help me? Where can I download the files?

Best regards

Peter

Peter, I am not sure whether my solution would help you or not. I have tested it only on a GMA900, because I have MAC OSx86 only on one PC. If you are brave enough to test it, please let the others know, so that they could take advantage of your experience! :thumbsup_anim: In any case, if you have installed the JaS 10.4.8 DVD reseed and no other GMA pkgs, my B612.GMA900.back.to.10.4.8.pkg should restore the situation after installing B612.GMA900Support.pkg, if that doesn't work for you.

If I were in your shoes, I would experiment only in the case I have another OS on the same machine, so that if everything goes bad, you can manually restore the files you've changed!

In any case, let us know!

PS: you can download the files on dem*****

Edited by B512

Peter, I am not sure whether my solution would help you or not. I have tested it only on a GMA900, because I have MAC OSx86 only on one PC. If you are brave enough to test it, please let the others know, so that they could take advantage of your experience! :) In any case, if you have installed the JaS 10.4.8 DVD reseed and no other GMA pkgs, my B612.GMA900.back.to.10.4.8.pkg should restore the situation after installing B612.GMA900Support.pkg, if that doesn't work for you.

If I were in your shoes, I would experiment only in the case I have another OS on the same machine, so that if everything goes bad, you can manually restore the files you've changed!

In any case, let us know!

PS: you can download the files on dem*****

Hi,

I have tested the file B612.GMA900Support.pkg now.

It's working now, I have support for CI and QE now.

Finally I can run Aperture, that was the reason I upgraded to 10.4.8.

So I got a bit disapointed when I couldn't run it since CI andQE didn't work after upgrade.

But now everything is fine again. :-)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards

Peter

Edited by poon

Hi,

I have tested the file B612.GMA900Support.pkg now.

It's working now, I have support for CI and QE now.

Finally I can run Aperture, that was the reason I upgraded to 10.4.8.

So I got a bit disapointed when I couldn't run it since CI andQE didn't work after upgrade.

But now everything is fine again. :-)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards

Peter

Thank you for reporting! :) I am very glad I could help you.

hi, thanks for your hard work.

i installed B612 GMA900 Support.pkg and everything seems to be working just fine.

except my screensaver freezes and my monitor will not turn off automatically.

both of these have worked fine up until now 10.4.3-10.4.7.

any ideas why these wont work in 10.4.8?

edit:

another thing i have found not to work is front row.

with 10.4.7 i was using frontrowpass.kext found here

it was working fine in 10.4.7. after install of jas 10.4.8 i was able to at least get to a white screen, i think it was white due to lack of opengl. now using B612 GMA900 Support.pkg i get a kernel panic when trying to launch.

Edited by miguelcerca

hi, thanks for your hard work.

i installed B612 GMA900 Support.pkg and everything seems to be working just fine.

except my screensaver freezes and my monitor will not turn off automatically.

both of these have worked fine up until now 10.4.3-10.4.7.

any ideas why these wont work in 10.4.8?

edit:

another thing i have found not to work is front row.

with 10.4.7 i was using frontrowpass.kext found here

it was working fine in 10.4.7. after install of jas 10.4.8 i was able to at least get to a white screen, i think it was white due to lack of opengl. now using B612 GMA900 Support.pkg i get a kernel panic when trying to launch.

Hi. Unfortunately at the moment I am far from home and I don't have with me my Mac OSx86, so I cannot experiment anything!! If my B612GMA900Support gives you some problems, try installing back.to.10.4.8 and then JaS's package (GMA900 Support) to see what happens. Then, if it doesn't work either, you can always go back to mine by installing again back.to.10.4.8 and again B612GMA900Support.

Have you tried my OpenGL pkgs???

Let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

well, jas gma 900 package doesn't work for me, so i have continued using B612 GMA900 Support.pkg

still cannot get front row to work, and little boxes show up occasionally around the screen (mostly when using widgets)

my monitor will not go to sleep, but I don't think this has to do with gma 900

i have not yet tried using your opengl packages as i am still a bit unclear as to what they will or are supposed to do.

have you made any updates for your package, will there be in the future?

thanks again

later

well, jas gma 900 package doesn't work for me, so i have continued using B612 GMA900 Support.pkg

still cannot get front row to work, and little boxes show up occasionally around the screen (mostly when using widgets)

my monitor will not go to sleep, but I don't think this has to do with gma 900

i have not yet tried using your opengl packages as i am still a bit unclear as to what they will or are supposed to do.

have you made any updates for your package, will there be in the future?

thanks again

later

Hi. Happy new year!

My OpenGL packages are for those who need to use PPC graphic applications after applying B612 GMA 900 or JaS GMA 900 Support. In fact, I don't know Frontrow, which I have never used, but many PPC apps don't work (they crash) after applying the GMA900Support packages.

So if you want to use those apps, you just have to click on OpenGLPPC.pkg and you'll be able to run those apps without even rebooting. (If Frontrow is a PPC application, it may start working after applying OpenGLPPC.)

But remember, after closing those apps, you should run OpenGLfast, in order to put the system in the same conditions as it was before running OpenGLPPC.

In other words, OpenGLfast is the antidote to OpenGLPPC. :lol:

I haven't made any updates for the pkgs, and I don't think I'll make them in the future, because I think these are the fastest possible solution to GMA900 problems.

I am planning to get a new graphic card (probably Asus 7600GT silent), so I'll stop using the GMA900.

Let me know what you decide to do (and if you get Frontrow working!!).

Bye!

Does anyone have these packages that would be willing to send them to me? With registrations closed on Demo****, I can't download the torrent. (Or even just send me the torrent.)

Trying to update my T43 from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8, and am going to need them, I think.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

i just installed the "JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.Support.pkg" from his new and last install dvd and everything is working...even better than the B152 install.

thanks for the effort, it was needed, but for now i will stick with JaS.

thanks again

later

Could you upload this pkg somewhere and send a link to it? I don't want to d/l the whole DVD for a single package.

i just installed the "JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.Support.pkg" from his new and last install dvd and everything is working...even better than the B152 install.

thanks for the effort, it was needed, but for now i will stick with JaS.

thanks again

later

After I read this message, I installed the new JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.Support.pkg, to try it myself and I got exactly the same results as before. No PPC video apps working (just try to launch QuickTime in PPC mode and you'll see it by yourself) and the benchmarks decreased by 25%.

So the only thing I could do was reinstalling the B612.GMA.900.Support.pkg.

Please anybody else with my same experience, post it, otherwise one could believe I am doing it to publicize myself! :gun: (and someone else could experience problems if he doesn't fix the permissions after installing JaS' package, because the permissions are not correct).

• 2 weeks later...

B612: thanks for a great package, it finally fixed my woes. Anyway there are two issues I have to correct to be able to use OSX well:

- 1280x1024 is just not enough - but it can be easily corrected (by editin com.apple.Boot.plist)

- screen refresh is too low! I've got a 22" CRT monitor and 65 Hz (or something like it) is really horrible; I seeked all config files and even looked at binary files and cannot find anything I can change about it. Is a refresh change even possible???

Thanks...

B612: thanks for a great package, it finally fixed my woes. Anyway there are two issues I have to correct to be able to use OSX well:

- 1280x1024 is just not enough - but it can be easily corrected (by editin com.apple.Boot.plist)

- screen refresh is too low! I've got a 22" CRT monitor and 65 Hz (or something like it) is really horrible; I seeked all config files and even looked at binary files and cannot find anything I can change about it. Is a refresh change even possible???

Thanks...

shmr, I think you can change your screen refresh, from your monitor configuration, without editing any config files.

One more thing: when your resolution was set to 1280x1024, did you have the same problem of frequency?

shmr, I think you can change your screen refresh, from your monitor configuration, without editing any config files.

One more thing: when your resolution was set to 1280x1024, did you have the same problem of frequency?

There are three scenarios:

1) When there's 1280x1024 in com.apple.Boot.plist, I get 1280x1024@60 Hz (and cannot set anything other in display prefs, everything is disabled, refresh writes "unknown" (or something like it, can't tell it now, I'm in windows)

2) When there's 1600x1200, I get 1600x1200 - but 60 Hz too (and can't change it)

3) When there's nothing, I get 1024x768@60, as this is default boot resolution I think (and can't change it too)

Now I found I can place 1600x1200x32@85 in the com.apple.Boot.plist and it MAY be working. Or I'll get kernel panic, let's see :]

There are three scenarios:

1) When there's 1280x1024 in com.apple.Boot.plist, I get 1280x1024@60 Hz (and cannot set anything other in display prefs, everything is disabled, refresh writes "unknown" (or something like it, can't tell it now, I'm in windows)

2) When there's 1600x1200, I get 1600x1200 - but 60 Hz too (and can't change it)

3) When there's nothing, I get 1024x768@60, as this is default boot resolution I think (and can't change it too)

Now I found I can place 1600x1200x32@85 in the com.apple.Boot.plist and it MAY be working. Or I'll get kernel panic, let's see :]

OK, let us know!