'Install Clover for UEFI Booting only' and 'Install in the ESP' difference

TrickyTrix

5 posts in this topic

When you are installing Clover, you get those two options: "Install Clover for UEFI Booting only" and "Install in the ESP".

"Install in the ESP" will install Clover in EFI partition, but then what is "Install Clover for UEFI Booting only" used for?

46 minutes ago, TrickyTrix said:

When you are installing Clover, you get those two options: "Install Clover for UEFI Booting only" and "Install in the ESP".

"Install in the ESP" will install Clover in EFI partition, but then what is "Install Clover for UEFI Booting only" used for?

As the name "UEFI booting only" says it is used for booting from UEFI mode which all of the new mainboards use opposed to Legacy Boot on older computers. You can use EFI (ESP) partition on older computers on GUID partitioned hard disks to boot the computer but if the boot option is set to UEFI only in BIOS the system won't boot unless you use this option.

So for booting clover in UEFI only mode use both option "Install in the ESP" and "Install Clover for UEFI Booting only".

9 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

As the name "UEFI booting only" says it is used for booting from UEFI mode which all of the new mainboards use opposed to Legacy Boot on older computers. You can use EFI (ESP) partition on older computers on GUID partitioned hard disks to boot the computer but if the boot option is set to UEFI only in BIOS the system won't boot unless you use this option.

So for booting clover in UEFI only mode use both options "Install in the ESP" and "Install Clover for UEFI Booting only".

I'm not sure that I follow. I have UEFI boot enabled, and I checked only "Install in the ESP" option when installed Clover and Catalina and everything is working (which is normal because that option tells Clover to install in ESP partition).

Why would I need to check "UEFI booting only" option. What would that option do/change on the hard disk?

38 minutes ago, TrickyTrix said:

I'm not sure that I follow. I have UEFI boot enabled, and I checked only "Install in the ESP" option when installed Clover and Catalina and everything is working (which is normal because that option tells Clover to install in ESP partition).

Why would I need to check "UEFI booting only" option. What would that option do/change on the hard disk?

You need no to check this option.

Without it installer additionally put the file boot into EFI partition and write boot sectors.

If you check this option the installer will NOT put additional files.