10.15.4 no display on wake and clover issues on Asus prime Z370-A MK ii

Aldaro

6 posts in this topic

So I've had my current hack up, and running now for several months, and it has been great up until now. I took the 10.15.4 update, as well as its supplemental update, and things went downhill really fast. For one, the dreaded, wake from sleep = black display issue has once again popped up, as well as an issue in which the display, if it does wake from sleep, has a weird color to it (the bug closely resembles the pink display problem). Moreover, clover will not boot into single user mode, or properly boot in verbos mode. The system will boot, but it's like the -v flag is being completely ignored. I cannot seem to figure out what's going on, but the situation is pretty bad (especially since at the start of this week, I had a rock solid build). Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated, as I can no longer get some of my work done; thank you to all who read this. I have attached a picture of the display glitch I'm experiencing below.

System specs:
Motherboard: Asus prime Z370-A MK ii
CPU: Core i5 9600k
GPU: Sapphire pulse RX 580 rev. 2 (This variant has a switch on the card for "gaming" and "compute" modes).
Storage: 2x Samsung 970 evos (500 GBs) and a 4TB HDD for data
PSU: Seasonic 750w 80+ platinum
Wi-Fi + bluetooth: Broadcom BCM 94630CD - works OOB
Ethernet: Intel i210 gigabit PCIE x1 - again, works OOB

IMG_1353.jpg

Thank you for the reply.

Well, I went down the rabbit hole of switching to OC, as I figured it'd improve overall system stability. This wasn't meant to solve these two problems specifically, but instead serves the purpose of minimizing bugs on future updates. That being said, I made sure Lilu, and its plugins were up to date, but that didn't do much, neither did flushing the kext cache. It turns out there's a nasty bug in 10.15.4 with HDR10 displays, and the workaround, while not elegant by any means, is definitely functional, and makes the color issue a non problem. When waking from sleep, the monitor seems to apply its HDR presets, even if HDR is disabled, and the way to work around this is to toggle HDR on, and off in system preferences while attempting to change the display's picture preset in the main monitor menu itself. This results in the non HDR presets becoming available again; at which point, I can finally get back to normal color. The caveat to this is that HDR has to be disabled, but that's not too big a loss for me since LG's pseudo HDR is pretty bad IMO.

As for the black screen on wake problem?

It turns out that my blue yeti pro was causing this, and unplugging it promptly restored normal sleep wake behavior. This is not a macOS specific issue, as in the past, I've had Windows blue screen on me if it went to sleep with this mic plugged in ... I have no idea why I'm still holding onto this thing.