USB failure?

Vyzantion

5 posts in this topic

I have just re-made the Catalina installer, with the updated OS. It could not install from it, like it could not copy. Then I have tried to reinstall Mojave, it worked pretty cleary last year the exact pen drive. It failed as well, saying something like: not package found, contact the system administrator. I was able to boot from USB pen drive Linux and install Windows from DVD. But no macOS from the pen drive, even from what worked fine before. I have reseted the BIOS several times, no succes. The first sign of something wrong was this: When I first tried to boot Catalina, it said something about BIOS (BIOS, not UEFI) reset and enter setup. I hapenned several times on my attempts. If something screwed in my hardware? The USB ports? The BIOS perhaps?

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Nope; probably just the manner in which you installed your bootloader. Clover's installation needs to match the BIOS mode for instance (legacy vs. UEFI).

So clarify your situation if you want further assistance on the matter. 

The PC is legacy. I am always carefull to choose the corect Clover option. And the Mojave installation pen drive was fine last year ago, when I last used it. I kept it for backup reasons. I have tried to install Ubuntu 18.04 from USB and it failed as well when the Grub bootloader was suppose to be installed. First sign of this crisis was that, when I have first tried to boot the new Catalina installer, the BIOS settings reseted themselves. It happend several times.

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

So much for clarifying...

What version of Clover?

What settings/options did you select when you installed Clover?

If you're trying 10.15.4, please note that is causes BIOS settings/CMOS reset on some older systems, like C2D desktop.

Anyway, it does not look like you're willing to give out much information, so good luck in your Catalina endeavour.

Indeed, I was tryind 10.15.4 . It visible reseted the BIOS settings, on this legacy machine, on first, boot, put it back several times. I have used the the latest Clover on the Catalina pen drive, 5107, installed via the Clover app, not the pkg file. I have used FakeSMC instead VirtualSMC, it seemed safer. The Mojave installer says something like: Resources could not be found on this disk. After a googling, I have found this seems to have something to do with NVME. Besides reseting the BIOS settings, I ca not see what else I can do, on a software level. Something needs to have been deeply screwed so that the last year unchanged functional Mojave installer does not work.

The only thing I was able to install was an old Windows 10 from the DVD.

This machine is based on the Asus P5P41TED motherboard and the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

Indeed, regarding NVME, the Sata hard drive, the ATA hard drive and the CD-Rom are connected in a weird way by the technical who ansambled the configuration, I am little afraid to get my hands into the combination, not to do some more damage.

And since in here we have a quaratine that hardly ever allows us to exit our houses for groceries, finding a technician is next to impossible.

What other information would be required?

Edited by Vyzantion

Tried several things, including 1) removing one of the hard drives, 2) attempting install on either hard-drives 3) resetting the CMOS by removing the battery from the motherboard (it worked, because the clock was reseted) 4) Downloading and installing from the Recovery partition. All failed. Catalina installer said that it could not set the startup disk, and Ubuntu 18.04 could not install the Grub bootloader. Perhaps some things regarding the USB are in BIOS corrupted, or the USB function on a hardware level? Am I missing something, anything? Is there any setting that might be in the BIOS and I miss?

If this is permanent damage, could I, theoreticly, put the Catalina installer in an iso and burn the iso on a dual layer DVD and install Catalina like that?