Weird USB issue

arsradu

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I don't even know where to post this... Cause it's so weird. :))

So, front panel USB ports work. BUT they only work with certain devices. Both are USB 3.0 ports

Let's take an example:

Port 1 works with a USB drive (memory stick), but doesn't work with an iPad (device simply doesn't get recognised).

Port 2 works with the iPad, but doesn't work with the same USB drive.

So, both ports work, both devices (the USB drive and the iPad) obviously work. Also, the USB cable used to connect the iPad can't be at fault, since it works in Port 2.

This started a while ago. Before that, everything worked fine on all ports. And I'm pretty sure it's a software issue. But I just can't figure out what's causing it, or how to fix it.

Please, tell me you have an explanation for this, cause it's driving me crazy! :))

Edited by arsradu

57 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Sounds like a USB power-related issue. Your USB port definition/injection is probably incorrect and you need to look into that.

I thought about that too.... But...it didn't always happen. And I don't remember changing anything about definition/injection. Also, with the same setup, works with some devices, doesn't work with others....

Port 1 works with Device 2. And Port 2 works with Device 1.

But no port works with both devices.

I asked other people and they said they've got this issue on Windows. So I'm not sure that's a USB definition/injection issue anymore...

One thing I remember that could have caused this...and it might be some corrupted data somewhere (I just don't know where) is that I sometimes forget to "safely unplug" the device, or I consider them already safely unplugged. And usually after that, that device no longer gets recognised in that specific port.

At this point, I would say it's definitely software. But I'm not sure where to start debugging it.

I'll try a clean install on a different partition. See if it happens there too.

Edited by arsradu

On 12/11/2019 at 10:56 PM, gengik84 said:

i don't know if yours usb are mapped or you use port limit patch

if yours usb are mapped,  is possible that:

1) one usb work only on 2.0

2) one usb work only in 3.0

Well, it would be possible, if it would also occur on a new installation. But it doesn't. Same drive works fine with both ports there.

Update:

Ok, so the USB 3.0 device now works with both ports (did a kext cache rebuild, and looks like that fixed it).

However, the USB 2.0 devices (such as an iPad connected via Lightning cable) only gets recognised in one of the two ports.

By the way, the motherboard is a Z170 Gaming K3, so not the one in my sig. Clearly the ports work, and they're both USB 3.0 (at least on the outside). I tried every renaming in the book (EHC1-EH01/EHC2->EH02). USBInjectALL is also present. I added limit patchers. I don't know what else to try. Looks like it's just that port that doesn't wanna work with USB 2.0 devices.

Also, in System Report -> USB, I only get "USB 3.0 Bus" and "USB 3.1 Bus". No mention of any 2.0. However, 2.0 devices DO seem to work (such as the iPad in the other 3.0 port). And it's listed as "USB 3.0". This is all super confusing to me.

1698431341_Screenshot2019-12-13at18_19_54.png.672ec4749ed67d27cb06f8da77743251.png

Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 18.10.57.png

Edited by arsradu