Help needed with dual boot using OC

AudioGod

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a perfectly working OC EFI with a dsdt created for me by MaLd0n and it’s brilliant but I can’t boot into windows via the OC boot menu. If I try to do that then I get a instant BSOD and the system restarts and loads straight into my bios. (This is using a Gigabyte Z390 Master)

Is there anybody that knows how to fix this problem and can help me get OC to play friendly with windows for me? 
I have my fingers crossed that somebody reads this and knows what’s going on...:help:

• 2 weeks later...

OpenCore applies the DSDT and other ACPI settings to Windows as well, unlike Clover. The BSOD should give you a meaningful error message, if you apply the right settings in Windows. 

You can also use rEFInd for multi booting with Windows with a decent theme such as rEFInd-minimal-black. It has many of the graphical features you would find in Clover and allows you to boot Windows without the ACPI changes from OpenCore. It will just chain-load the OpenCore bootloader.

https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisWayg said:

OpenCore applies the DSDT and other ACPI settings to Windows as well, unlike Clover. The BSOD should give you a meaningful error message, if you apply the right settings in Windows. 

You can also use rEFInd for multi booting with Windows with a decent theme such as rEFInd-minimal-black. It has many of the graphical features you would find in Clover and allows you to boot Windows without the ACPI changes from OpenCore. It will just chain-load the OpenCore bootloader.

https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Yeah your spot on it’s totally my dsdt and probably the renames within it.

thats my pet hate about OpenCore, it should drop the dsdt and ACPI settings when you boot to windows, its keeping me from switching from clover to OC as I need windows as much as I need macOS. I also have a popular z390 pro and z390 master guide and EFI on here for clover but won’t add my OC EFI until I feel it’s worthy and stuff like my current problem is just to big a Nono for me.

such a putty too cos I do like OC, it has all the makings of a great bootloader.

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Yeah your spot on it’s totally my dsdt and probably the renames within it.

thats my pet hate about OpenCore, it should drop the dsdt and ACPI settings when you boot to windows, its keeping me from switching from clover to OC as I need windows as much as I need macOS. I also have a popular z390 pro and z390 master guide and EFI on here for clover but won’t add my OC EFI until I feel it’s worthy and stuff like my current problem is just to big a Nono for me.

such a putty too cos I do like OC, it has all the makings of a great bootloader.

its not the boot pickers job to do that, its whoever wrote the DSDT/SSDT patches job to write their patches to only be related to macOS. 

1 hour ago, Pavo said:

its not the boot pickers job to do that, its whoever wrote the DSDT/SSDT patches job to write their patches to only be related to macOS. 

@Pavo Ahhhh I see, thank you now I always thought it was the other way around.

is there any chance that I could send you my EFI or dsdt/ssdt and you could correct it for me?

i would love to have a fully working and playing friendly OC EFI but had given up on it working with windows as everybody until today told me it just couldn’t be done. 
Also It would be great to add a OpenCore option to my Z390 Master and Pro Guides. :) 
MaLD0n created the dsdt for me but he gets hassled enough by so many people that I really don’t want to bother him about it.

I could really do with some help buddy. :help:

Edited by AudioGod

51 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

@Pavo Ahhhh I see, thank you now I always thought it was the other way around.

is there any chance that I could send you my EFI or dsdt/ssdt and you could correct it for me?

i would love to have a fully working and playing friendly OC EFI but had given up on it working with windows as everybody until today told me it just couldn’t be done. 
Also It would be great to add a OpenCore option to my Z390 Master and Pro Guides. :) 
MaLD0n created the dsdt for me but he gets hassled enough by so many people that I really don’t want to bother him about it.

I could really do with some help buddy. :help:

What you need to do is take your original DSDT and compare to the patched one, and apply a If (_OSI ("Darwin")) to only the patches that you want to be effected using Opencore boot picker. It will take time and patients but you will learn how ACPI works. But the easiest route would be just use your mobo's boot menu to boot into Windows and don't use Opencore to boot other OSes. 

21 hours ago, Pavo said:

What you need to do is take your original DSDT and compare to the patched one, and apply a If (_OSI ("Darwin")) to only the patches that you want to be effected using Opencore boot picker. It will take time and patients but you will learn how ACPI works. But the easiest route would be just use your mobo's boot menu to boot into Windows and don't use Opencore to boot other OSes. 

I already tried to patch that DSDT against _OSI "if" but it's a huge part of work doing this cause it differs from origin DSDT on hundreds lines of code. Easier would be the bootpicker / OC loads the DSDT after OS selection. 

Edited by texem