Kernel Skylake ART

v7kF4U2HTd

7 posts in this topic

hi guys,

i wanted to post that in the development section but couldn't pick it on the list. anyway, this is about using skylake and later with osx versions which officially don't support them. like 10.9 for example.

i'm not very happy with the more recent osx versions so i use the older ones for a little longer. for example right now i'm writing this with 10.6.8 on a haswell. so far to do this i made some edits to the kernel's cpuid.c and tsc.c and basically hardcoded them to the latest supported cpu model.

this time i was looking into a skylake or better and did the mentioned kernel edits as usual. however, in the 10.12 kernel's tsc.c i spottet something new: in tsc_init() there's special part for skylake and later because of their "Always Running Timer". so i wondered, can i use that part for older kernels or maybe i get away with it if i don't have it?

i'd just try it out but buying the new box just to see that it doesn't work is not exactly great :P

so if anybody has experience with this or any insight otherwise, would be most welcome ^_^

5 hours ago, v7kF4U2HTd said:

hi guys,

i wanted to post that in the development section but couldn't pick it on the list. anyway, this is about using skylake and later with osx versions which officially don't support them. like 10.9 for example.

i'm not very happy with the more recent osx versions so i use the older ones for a little longer. for example right now i'm writing this with 10.6.8 on a haswell. so far to do this i made some edits to the kernel's cpuid.c and tsc.c and basically hardcoded them to the latest supported cpu model.

this time i was looking into a skylake or better and did the mentioned kernel edits as usual. however, in the 10.12 kernel's tsc.c i spottet something new: in tsc_init() there's special part for skylake and later because of their "Always Running Timer". so i wondered, can i use that part for older kernels or maybe i get away with it if i don't have it?

i'd just try it out but buying the new box just to see that it doesn't work is not exactly great :P

so if anybody has experience with this or any insight otherwise, would be most welcome ^_^

Hi @v7kF4U2HTd

I was able to install Mac OS X Yosemite on my Skylake few years back by using FakeCPUID under the Kernel and Kext Patches from a supported CPU and it worked but I didn't install Mavericks so I guess you can give that a try and see if that works out or not.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, v7kF4U2HTd said:

oh i see so you didn't even have to touch the kernel at all. and just to be sure, what exactly do you mean by "Kext Patches from a supported CPU"?

No I didn't have to change the kernel at all just take a look at this post:

and in this picture you can see if you use the config.plist file from your EFI folder you can use a fakeCPUID for your processor which must be supported by Mavericks like an IvyBridge CPU 0x0306A0 so the when you boot the system with clover the Mac OS X's installer thinks it is running on an older rig and therefore the processor is supported.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 1.53.36 AM.png

• Like 1

yeah okay you meant the fakeCPUID.

well nice, so it looks like not having ART support in the kernel doesn't cause problems with cpus which have it. in other words the way i did it so far should work for skylake and later as well.

thanks for the replies!

1 minute ago, v7kF4U2HTd said:

yeah okay you meant the fakeCPUID.

well nice, so it looks like not having ART support in the kernel doesn't cause problems with cpus which have it. in other words the way i did it so far should work for skylake and later as well.

thanks for the replies!

You're welcome I hope this helps ;)

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2019 at 6:52 AM, Cyberdevs said:

Hi @v7kF4U2HTd

I was able to install Mac OS X Yosemite on my Skylake few years back by using FakeCPUID under the Kernel and Kext Patches from a supported CPU and it worked

seems you were lucky. as it turned out the primary problem with skylake and later is not the ART but that it doesn't have ehci anymore. 10.10 tho has broadwell support and hence xhci support and so it worked.