[Guide] HaC Mini - OSX Mojave on Intel Hades Canyon (NUC8i7HVK/NUC8i7HNK)

osy

227 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, jasegti said:

I cannot for the life of me get the usb installer to work. Followed instructions to create usb installer which works fine and running HaCMini.pkg and selecting patch osx ends in a failed installation. Not sure why things are going wrong. Have attached log file if anybody would be kind enough to have a glance.

Installer Log 12-Sep-2019.txt

Did you format the installer usb as GUID? Anyways please make a new issue in github since I don't check the forums often. Thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 10:22 AM, Schnubbi said:

I received the BCM94350ZAE DW1820A and installed it. It works fine in Win10 so it is not broken.

WiFi / BT adapter shows up in IORegistry Explorer on PciRoot(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x02)/Pci(0x0,0x0).

When I add the device to the plist, I get Wifi to run in combination with AirportBrcmFixup. 

Bluetooth won't work though.

I get the device displayed on USB HS09 as BCM2045A0 in System Information.

Nevertheless, it says Bluetooth not available and I can't use bluetooth. 

How to best integrate this with HaC Mini? Is there any WiFi/Bluetooth configuration already in HaC Mini that might interfere with my efforts?

THX 

Screenshot 2019-08-06 at 18.47.10.png

On 8/7/2019 at 7:58 PM, netx said:

Thank you for this. This is the only configuration during my last days of researched that really works.

Only left is bluetooth and wifi. These do not work and bluetooth keeps on searching and can't be turned off.

Appreciate any help.

I am using kowbot clover folder :) Thanks @kowbot

On 8/16/2019 at 8:34 AM, Schnubbi said:

Got it up and running now, including Handoff. (I don´t know if AppleWatch unlock works, since I don´t have an Apple Watch).

1.) DISABLE Wake on LAN and PCIE ASPM. Other threads say you need to tape some pins on your board, but this BIOS setting did it for me. Maybe only one of the two is required.

2.) Configure USB correctly, including bluetooth on internal USB (SSDT-UIAC + USBInjectAll) (Could this configuration maybe be merged into HaC Mini one day?)

3.) Configure WiFI PCI device correctly

4.) Add Boot options for BrcmFixup, actually works without these boot options as well on SOME DW1820 boards.

5.) Bluetooth in your FirmwareRepo should match Windows firmware, otherwise you will get strange effects when warm booting from one OS to the other.

For me, v7 c4096 works fine. Other threads say, you can also go for v5799 or v5803. For me, Handoff then never worked.

545025955_Screenshot2019-08-16at16_21_38.png.97368784ec2409cabfe2f44f924ea54e.png

SSDT-UIAC.aml

Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 16.26.07.png

Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 16.27.45.png

HI ALL,

Regarding DW1820A difficulties: I was having the same problems with my DW1820A (CN-0VW3T3 version the "good" one). Latest Kexts do not seem to need anything special as it works "Out of Box" BUT I had the same problems with WiFi showing in PCI devices and BT showing as internal but nothing worked...

What DID work was:

Repairing permissions

Rebuilding kextcache

Rebuilding Kextcache

following this guide fixed it on a reboot
Repair permissions in /S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions) and /L/E (Library/Extensions) folders

Type each of the following commands (separately) in Terminal:
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*

sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*

sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*

Rebuild Kext Cache
Type the following command in the Terminal:
sudo kextcache -i /
Restart your computer for the repairs to take effect.

Edited by CowberryCone6288

On 10/6/2019 at 3:18 PM, CowberryCone6288 said:

HI ALL,

Regarding DW1820A difficulties: I was having the same problems with my DW1820A (CN-0VW3T3 version the "good" one). Latest Kexts do not seem to need anything special as it works "Out of Box" BUT I had the same problems with WiFi showing in PCI devices and BT showing as internal but nothing worked...

What DID work was:

Repairing permissions

Rebuilding kextcache

Rebuilding Kextcache

following this guide fixed it on a reboot
Repair permissions in /S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions) and /L/E (Library/Extensions) folders

Type each of the following commands (separately) in Terminal:
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*

sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*

sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*

Rebuild Kext Cache
Type the following command in the Terminal:
sudo kextcache -i /
Restart your computer for the repairs to take effect.

Seems I spoke too soon:

I rebooted into BIOS one more time just to change fan speeds again, and after that my BlueTooth Apple keyboard stopped working and the BT module is back to being unable to connect to any devices... Connection failed, attempts to connect, etc. No idea what was so perfect that time...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone. I have been trying to use the latest and greatest HaC Mini that is provided by osy. I have successfully migrated to OpenCore with v2.0. I was following the guide and am facing an issue. For installing Windows through boot camp, I am:

1. Not able to create a usb installer from Boot Camp Assistantt

2. Not able to boot into the Windows install on the other SSD (I have two installed). The NUC only boots Mac OS.

Has anyone figured out how to successfully get Windows working through Boot Camp as suggested by osy in his guide? Any help is much appreciated.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:16 AM, castleman said:

Hello again everyone. I have been trying to use the latest and greatest HaC Mini that is provided by osy. I have successfully migrated to OpenCore with v2.0. I was following the guide and am facing an issue. For installing Windows through boot camp, I am:

1. Not able to create a usb installer from Boot Camp Assistantt

2. Not able to boot into the Windows install on the other SSD (I have two installed). The NUC only boots Mac OS.

Has anyone figured out how to successfully get Windows working through Boot Camp as suggested by osy in his guide? Any help is much appreciated.

I can say that I can install windows 10 on my second disk, but for some reason cannot get the OpenCore.efi to be bootable. I cannot get this done through Bootcamp Assistant and the install insn't detected as such. I have to delete all the partitions that are created from the bootcamp assistant to get it to install on the disk.

I am able to drop into the UEFI shell on the NUC and attempt to launch using the command:

fs1:\EFI\OC\OpenCore.efi

where fs1 is the mapping that I get for the Hackintosh drive with the EFI partition. The resulting output is that the image is not an application.

I can then just boot into Mac OS using:

fs1:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.efi

Not sure what's wrong here, but clearly I'm breaking the OpenCore.efi or something... :(

Edited by castleman
Clarifying sittuation

On 10/21/2019 at 3:35 AM, KKKW said:

Oops, I have a quick try, and it works! (Didn't check too much yet but works well so far, only Bluetooth having problem in my system now.)

image.png.7231bf40be5cfd3e279fce19a376e54e.png

On 10/11/2019 at 8:15 AM, JaseNZ said:

I did a mod where I added some decent heat sinks to the Samsung drives I had in mine, Made the world of difference.

top.thumb.png.e7ce16cd7af47cdb9d61317777e90908.png

cover.png

temp.png

Dear Both,
I have been drooling over your setup.
Seems to be NUC8I7HNK+BCM94360CS2 would be great pair.
I want to know some before I take the plunge of buying this hardware.
I use macos only for FCPX so its kinda of must for me.
1. Can it work with macOS 10.15 catalina
2. Does FCPX work without any glitch- Edit and render
3. Have you checked the stability with iGPU enabled
4. Whats the Bruce X score in FCPX. 
5. Can we hookup Radeon VII via TB3 External GPU enclosure get full GPU acceleration
Its too much to ask, if its doesn't serve purpose I don't want to invest

On 10/29/2019 at 6:55 PM, Theetech said:

Dear Both,
5. Can we hookup Radeon VII via TB3 External GPU enclosure get full GPU acceleration

Works fine with Catalina latest version 10.15.1 , I don't use FCPX but I am sure it would work just fine.

I just use mine for mucking around on so I don't use it for something specific so cannot answer any of your other questions sorry.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:15 PM, osy said:

In the spirit of learning, I'm also releasing a series of writeups for various hard issues that I resolved in hope that it will help future hackintoshers. These writeups are independent of the NUC Hades Canyon.

NUC Hades Canyon Installation Guide

Writeup - Fixing Metal Drivers

Writeup - Fixing Thunderbolt Hotplug

Writeup - Fixing HDA Audio

Thanks for the write-ups. I used the information in the Thunderbolt part 2 page to get the GC-ALPINE RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 add-in card to work (partly) in my old 2008 Mac Pro.

Edited by joevt

bluetooth with BCM94360CS2 breaks on catalina with opencore, ive tried to roll back to a mojave clover install to troubleshoot but dont have any success to report as of yet - reported to issues in github too. wifi still works fine so it may have to do with how usb is called out from that card since it used to get it through the internal pci now its not seeing it at all.  not working in windows anymore didn't know if the bootcamp drivers might've had some 32b fail or they became unsigned somehow [ like all those OS installers did a week or two back] . anybody in the same boat = ready for suggestions.

What is the best way to do a backup of the system. I tried running CCC on the drive which works fine to an external usb drive but you cannot point the HaCMini.pkg at the external drive.

What is the best way of creating the boot section on the drive ?? , Mounting the efi partitions on both drives and copying across the EFI folder does not let the drive boot on its own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 4:55 PM, Theetech said:

Dear Both,

I ran Bruce a couple of times and can confirm that the average was 24 seconds run time (not very scientific :))

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm running on 2.4 + 10.15.2. Just wanna know if any setting is needed to be apply on SD Card slot, as its speed with only <20 MB/s.

I'm using Lexar microSD with org converter (https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_page/high-performance-633x-microsdhcmicrosdxc-uhs-i-cards/).

BTW, will try another converter to check if the org one only support slow speed... And, any suggestion for the converter?

Thanks & regards,

Danny

2 hours ago, dannycpw said:

Hi All,

I'm running on 2.4 + 10.15.2. Just wanna know if any setting is needed to be apply on SD Card slot, as its speed with only <20 MB/s.

I'm using Lexar microSD with org converter (https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_page/high-performance-633x-microsdhcmicrosdxc-uhs-i-cards/).

BTW, will try another converter to check if the org one only support slow speed... And, any suggestion for the converter?

Thanks & regards,

Danny

Does it work on Windows? If so file a bug on github. 

Hmm... Just upgraded to 10.15.2, I re-installed from scratch this time.

Unfortunately, I hit the issue of WIFI/BT again, I'm using BCM94352Z(DW1560), and has put AirportBrcmFixup.kext to both /L/E and /OC/Kexts/, but it doesn't work.

Last time I put it into /Clover/kexts/Others/ and it was working fine, but we are using OC now. Any idea why it did not work?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, KKKW said:

Hmm... Just upgraded to 10.15.2, I re-installed from scratch this time.

Unfortunately, I hit the issue of WIFI/BT again, I'm using BCM94352Z(DW1560), and has put AirportBrcmFixup.kext to both /L/E and /OC/Kexts/, but it doesn't work.

Last time I put it into /Clover/kexts/Others/ and it was working fine, but we are using OC now. Any idea why it did not work?

Thanks!

Ignore that... I forgot to modify config.plist to insert those kexts...

After did that, WIFI and BT are working properly. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...