Night Shift not working

DocXavier

10 posts in this topic

Thanks for the link Allan¡¡¡

I have the night shift panel enabled on my monitor preferences but not working. Anyway, I tried nightshiftunlocker es described in linked post but without any effect. I tried the EDID workaround mentioned in the post as well, but the required software Darwindumper is not working, at least for me, in Mojave neither Catalina.

Night Shift is working perfectly in Mojave on my signature hackintosh, but in Catalina is not. Catalina is installed in secondary SSD, so I'm using the same clover configuration for both systems.

Any ideas?

Edited by DocXavier

Thanks ellaosx¡¡¡

I tried your kext but no effect at all ... Correct me if I'm wrong but NightShiftUnlocker is to enable the Night Shift feature and pref panel for non compatible Mac models, doesn't it?

Night shift is fully working on my Mojave installation without NightShiftUnlocker.kext. With same computer and clover configuration but installed on a secondary SSD I have Catalina installed and working, but Night Shift is not operative despite of I have the preference panel like in Mojave. I can change the options on preferences panel but nothing happens

Unplugging/plugging DisplayPort works but I think is not a solution ... 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently having the same problem. Nightshift is available and enabled, but at no effect.

Also tried the fixEDID solution (which wouldn't get applied wether from clover or custom kext).

UPDATE: I managed to get the fixEDID solution applied by placing the resulting file in /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/. It does update the display settings, and you can even tweak it to use a custom display image if you want. I tried it with multiple displays options, including imac and thunderbolt, but the problem persists: Night shift is enabled but has no effect.

Edited by igorw
Update

UPDATE 2: 

So I noticed that if I turn Nightshift on and let my display sleep, it does activate the nightshift when it wakes up.

To turn it off, I have to change it manually and put the display to sleep again, and then wake it up.

Turning the monitor ON and OFF does not do the job, so it may have something to do with power management.

When turning nightshift on, it does the following assertion:

Process: PerfPowerServices.   Message: Register Notification Block

Subsystem: com.apple.CoreBrightness

So, maybe that is the way to go? A fix for brightness?

• 2 weeks later...