InsomniaX

mchouin

7 posts in this topic

Well, I've figured out that InsomniaX works on my computer, and I'd like to take the .kext file from the program and load it every time my computer starts up. I found out where the .kext file is, but I can't seem to find a way to get it to work at start up. I tried putting it in the extensions folder and the startup items folder and that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I've figured out that InsomniaX works on my computer, and I'd like to take the .kext file from the program and load it every time my computer starts up. I found out where the .kext file is, but I can't seem to find a way to get it to work at start up. I tried putting it in the extensions folder and the startup items folder and that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi from Dino.

Add InsomniaX to your log in items. System preferences - Users - log in items!

Goodluck!

• 3 weeks later...

Got it

:P

It's already been done in another thread, kind of. Worked for some, not for others. I was really easy! It's as easy as downloading a zipped folder, copying it to a location, and entering a few commands.

The following is a quote from tinhead in post 13 in this topic:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=insomniax

"...just unzip the attached Insomnia.zip into /Library/StartupItems directory ( and dont forget to remove Insomnia.kext from Extension dir if you have it already there )

Attached File(s)

Attached File Insomnia.zip ( 40.03k ) Number of downloads: 459"

Download that zip file and follow these insturctions (quoted from GmanBen in post 18 of the same topic):

"Download the Insomnia.zip file, unzip and copy the Insomnia folder to StartupItems directory.

Since I did not know which library/Startup folder to copy to I copied it to the following 3 locations:

1) users/username/library/startupitems

2) library/startupitems

3) system/library/startupitems

Next, if you did like me and copied the first attachment posted on this forum (Insomnia.kext) to System/Library/Extensions then go there and get rid of it.

Next, open the Terminal and type the following (Hit the Enter key everytime you see BRK):

sudo -s

BRK (Password will be asked, just enter your password and hit Enter, Do not type this line dev.gif )

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/StartupItems/Insomnia/Insomnia.kext

BRK

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/StartupItems/Insomnia/Insomnia.kext

BRK

exit

BRK

exit

BRK

and close the Terminal window (Do not type from this line on dev.gif )

Restart the PC. If you get a permission warning on boot, hit the Fix button, and after done fixing hit the Restart button. On next boot sleep on close lid problem should be gone. Notice that this does not fix the sleep problem if you press the sleep key or hit sleep from the Apple menu."

I know it's not the best tutorial, but to be honest I just woke up and I really need my coffee. Credit goes to GmanBen and tinhead. And all the others who worked on the problem in that topic...

If my post confuses you, just go to http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=insomniax and read posts 13 and 17. Worked perfectly for me in OS X 10.4.7 JaS update on an HP DV1440US notebook (Intel SSE2 Intel 915)

Good luck! Again credit (and thanks) to all of those who worked on it!