RX580 a good choice for Premiere Pro ?

iCore

2 posts in this topic

Hi everybody

I am currently running Mojave on a GTX660 with 2 displays (one is 1920x1200, second one is 4K retina)
Since I upgraded to Mojave, I get some very annoying glitches on the display.
From what I saw on the Internets this is a common issue with this nVidia card (I temporarily switched to a GTX650 which works fine but does not support my 4K display)

So I am willing to switch to an AMD graphic card for better compatiblity (as Apple now only uses AMD graphics on  macs).

For budget reason I will probably go for a RX580 rather than a Vega, but from what I read trough the forum, some people are facing issue with FCPX and this card (export to H264 does not work)
I guess that this is because the GPU is not correctly handled, and that FCP X is not able to user hardward acceleration for rendering. 

As I am using Premiere pro, I was wondering if there was such issues with Premiere ? 
And more generally: does Premiere Pro will take benefit of this card, or will I get same performances with a cheaper RX570 or even RX560 ? 

While the RX580 is not bad, Premiere Pro is terribly optimized in general especially under OpenCL. (Metal is worse).

I highly recommend spending a few extra bucks and getting a Vega 56 at least, I've seen refurbished Vega 56 go for $229 (blower style cooler). It's a hot card so if you want lest noise, you have to get a better cooler version.