Power consumption problem

tmbt

5 posts in this topic

Hi, 

i've a working laptop hack but i'm facing a strange problem that is driving me crazy 'cause i'm not able to understand what is causing it.

When i start my laptop and monitor the power consumption using Intel Power Gadget i can see the PKG is around 0,75w on idle.

If the laptop goes to sleep and i wake it up and check again the power consumption it's around 1,3w on idle. 

The cpu frequency is the same as before the sleep (1Ghz on idle). there are not processes who are consuming more than before the sleep (at least according to Activity monitor) but if Intel Power Gadget reading is accurate there is something consuming  more energy than before the sleep.

What i've tried so far :

Disabled all the unnecessary kexts (wifi,bluetooth,AppleALC,CodecCommander,VoodooI2C,SMCBatteryManager)

Tried differents SMBIOS

Boot with CPUFriend disable 

Nothing changed. 

I'm not asking for a solution but could someone give me some ideas to where to check or how to check what's going on ?

Thanks

Mattia

AfterSleepp.jpg

BeforeSleep.png

14 hours ago, Hervé said:

A few questions:

1. Have you tried to compare with HWMonitor app (comes with FakeSMC)?
  2. What CPU are you talking about?
  3. What Clover settings did you set for power management?

First of all thanks for the answer.

1. I've tried now using HWMonitor app (i'm using VirtualSMC but installing SMCCPUSensor allowed me to use HWMonitor). I'm having the same readings (attached screenshoots)

2. Intel i5-7200U

3. As far as i'm aware i'm only using PluginType = 1 in clover to enable power management and using MacBookPro14,1 SMBIOS that should have native HWP support in Mojave

I want to add that i already tried using FakeSMC (only with intel power gadget) but was having the same behavior so i don't think it's a "false" reading in my sensors.

Thanks again
Mattia

After.png

Before.png

16 hours ago, Hervé said:

Well, I would not go crazy or lose sleep on this...

Hi,

i'm not going crazy or loosing my sleep on this but i don't agree on your comment honestly. We're doing an hackintosh. By definition we're trying to simulate a real mac behavior faking, adapting, patching. This is where all the fun is (at least for me). If i face a problem i try to solve it instead of ignoring it. If the data reading is accurate after the laptop goes to sleep for the first time i'm losing 35%-40% of my battery durability and this is an issue i would try to solve.

That said i understood where the problem was. Long story short : i'm using a custom HiDPI resolution (almost 4K) and to avoid graphics glitches waking from sleep i was using Platform ID 0x59260002. That solved that problem but introduced this new one. I tried differents Kaby Lake Platform ID  but wasn't able to find to solve both problems at the same time (i was having graphical glitches after sleep or the overpower issue).

I've solved this spoofing Skylake Platform ID and CPU in Clover config.plist (Using Platform ID : 0x19260002 and FakeCPUID 0x0506e3).

Mattia

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 10.32.47.png