(Partial) success: MSI Z390 + i5 9600K

Legomann

4 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm about to build a hackintosh and want to share my findings in that process. Also maybe get some help. 

The goal is to have a fast Mac with large disk capacity for image processing and a Windows gaming machine at the same time. The components I chose:

• MSI Z390 Gaming plus
  • i5 9600K 6cores with HD630 graphics
  • 2x8GB Crucial DDR4-2666
  • nVidia GTX650 Ti (will be replaced later by Vega or Navi card)
  • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo plus NVMe + 4TB WD blue Disk as fusion drive

What is working:

Windows boots and games run. Installation was a bit tricky:

• the GTX650 has no UEFI
  • Disk partition has to be GPT since it should be shared between Windows and OSX
  • Windows only installs on a GPT drive if the setup is purely UEFI.

I ended up with a 2 screen setup with the secondary monitor on the HD630 being the boot display. The Windows driver uses the GTX650 without problems. 

Disabling CSM is important, on MSI this is hidden under the odd entrance "Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support" that has to be enabled(!). 

Booting and Installing OSX from USB stick. I found this post most useful as a starting point. After some trial and error I managed to boot with the HD630 into the installer

• The board has bios version 7B51v14, the most recent is not working (will check again when the system runs without error)
  • Clean up EFI folder, update clover, apfs.efi (from osx installation). Clover folder is attached.
  • Onboard ethernet is working with IntelMausiEthernet V2.4.0

Not working (TODO list): 

Fusion drive: Mojave does not support fusion drives. Instead, the installer tries to convert a fusion drive to apfs which, since Mojave, has a similar feature. From command line, I can create a apfs "fusion drive" with some modified commands:

(will supply later)

However: I seems that afp is buggy when it has to share the disks with other partitions. The plan was to have Windows too on the SSD and a common transfer partition on the spinning disk. Setup of the "fusion drive" was fine, but the installer always crashes without message, presumably in the moment it tries to access the disk. At the moment OSX is installed on a separate disk, will continue to investigate.

HD630: No acceleration, 6MB video memory

GTX650: No output at all, but card is shown in profiler. Thought it would be supported ootb.

Speedstep: CPU power usage around 8W in idle.

Audio

USB3

turn off crappy board illumination

CLOVER.zip

• 11 months later...