Legomann

(Partial) success: MSI Z390 + i5 9600K

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm about to build a hackintosh and want to share my findings in that process. Also maybe get some help. 

The goal is to have a fast Mac with large disk capacity for image processing and a Windows gaming machine at the same time. The components I chose:

• MSI Z390 Gaming plus
  • i5 9600K 6cores with HD630 graphics
  • 2x8GB Crucial DDR4-2666
  • nVidia GTX650 Ti (will be replaced later by Vega or Navi card)
  • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo plus NVMe + 4TB WD blue Disk as fusion drive

What is working:

Windows boots and games run. Installation was a bit tricky:

• the GTX650 has no UEFI
  • Disk partition has to be GPT since it should be shared between Windows and OSX
  • Windows only installs on a GPT drive if the setup is purely UEFI.

I ended up with a 2 screen setup with the secondary monitor on the HD630 being the boot display. The Windows driver uses the GTX650 without problems. 

Disabling CSM is important, on MSI this is hidden under the odd entrance "Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support" that has to be enabled(!). 

Booting and Installing OSX from USB stick. I found this post most useful as a starting point. After some trial and error I managed to boot with the HD630 into the installer

• The board has bios version 7B51v14, the most recent is not working (will check again when the system runs without error)
  • Clean up EFI folder, update clover, apfs.efi (from osx installation). Clover folder is attached.
  • Onboard ethernet is working with IntelMausiEthernet V2.4.0

Not working (TODO list): 

Fusion drive: Mojave does not support fusion drives. Instead, the installer tries to convert a fusion drive to apfs which, since Mojave, has a similar feature. From command line, I can create a apfs "fusion drive" with some modified commands:

(will supply later)

However: I seems that afp is buggy when it has to share the disks with other partitions. The plan was to have Windows too on the SSD and a common transfer partition on the spinning disk. Setup of the "fusion drive" was fine, but the installer always crashes without message, presumably in the moment it tries to access the disk. At the moment OSX is installed on a separate disk, will continue to investigate.

HD630: No acceleration, 6MB video memory

GTX650: No output at all, but card is shown in profiler. Thought it would be supported ootb.

Speedstep: CPU power usage around 8W in idle.

Audio

USB3

turn off crappy board illumination

CLOVER.zip

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JackRabbitSlim
      Hi everyone,
      This is my first hackintosh. To be completely honest there's still a lot I'm trying to figure out... And considering I can't even get the installer to begin, seems like there's something I'm just not understanding. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I've specced the machine based on a multiple successful builds I've seen in various vanilla forums.
      I've set the recommended BIOS, double-checked, but can't even get to an installer screen despite following a Vanilla guide from a popular hackintosh youtuber.
      (Not sure if her links can be mentioned, posted etc... Just playing it safe since this is my 1st post...)

THE BUILD:

Gigabyte Z390 Designare
      i9 9900k
      Sapphire Radeon RX580 Pulse - 8 GB
      G.Skill TridentZ 3200 - 64 GB
      Samsung EVO 840 (This is a scrap drive. Planned on using it to get the build running first, then cloning my MP 5,1 HS image after.)
      Other Stuff: Bluetooth, USB, iGPU, etc not important yet... Current goal is just to get the machine booting... I'll focus on WIFI/BT etc after...

I've tried multiple SMBIOS profiles, (listed below). All of them prevent me from even booting the installer with the message below.
      At this point I'm wondering if the issue is HS related, or if there's a step that, although obvious to some, isn't obvious to me and overlooking somehow.

Message returned when attempting to boot the installer. (Pic attached):

This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!
      Reason: Mac-AA95B1DDAB278B95

I also get an error when I click update in Clover saying: Package is incompatible with this version of OS X and may fail to install
      ^ Seems like this indicates I've missed a step or done something wrong?

Here's a list of the complete steps I've taken so far:

Double-checked BIOS settings according to each build.
      Built a vanilla installer based on the video I mentioned above, steps listed below... (I've done this twice now, confirming I followed the steps in the guide.)

Vanilla Installer Steps:
      Wiped and formatted my thumb drive with GUID Partition, HFS Extended (Journaled) Used terminal to create a bootable installer from a 10.13.6 installer I downloaded last june/july. Installed Clover Bootloader onto the Install macOS High Sierra partition of the thumb drive, and ticked: Clover for UEFI booting only, Install Clover into the ESP, VBox HFS-64, APFSDriverLoader-64, AptioMemoryFix-64 (leaving everything else unticked.)  
      Clover Configurator Steps:
      Mounted the Thumb Drive's EFI folder, opened C.C. and "downloaded" Lilu, WhateverGreen, & FakeSMC to the Other folder, & installed sensors. Deleted the default plist and manually created one using the Coffee Lake 'sample plist' from r/Vanilla Hackintosh Desktop Guide. Copy plist to the mounted EFI folder.  
      Open the plist with CC and did the following:
      Confirmed the following flags were set in CC's Boot section - Verbose (-v), dart=0, debug=0x100, & keepsyms=1 Tried 5 different SMBIOS profiles - iMac 18,1 ,  iMac 18,3 ,  iMac 19,1 , iMacPro 1,1 , and MacBookPro 15,1.  
      All result in the same Mac OS X is not supported on this platform message. The one suggestion I've found so far that seemed like it might work was to add the boot argument:
       -no_compat_check

Same results, installer won't start and I get the same message...

Seems like there must be something I've missed or I've done something wrong... I've spent the weekend searching, reading, etc, no luck so far...

A few questions:

I made the installer on my MacBook, not the build I'm trying to hack. Could this be related to the issue?            (I.e. - Does the vanilla method mean you need to create your SMBIOS profile on the actual machine you'll be Hackintoshing?)

Is there a 9900k or Sapphire RX580 compatibility patch needed for 10.13 I haven't seen mentioned in the Mojave builds?  
      Does the Clover update message package is incompatible with this version of OS X and may fail to install indicate something isn't right with my installer setup?  

Please excuse me if anything above isn't clear, I'm brand new to all this and frankly I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a lot of it!

• By MaLd0n
      ---INSTALLATION TUTORIAL---

---Original Post---
      https://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9172

---USB---
      https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/07/13/simple-skylake-usb-fix-no-kexts-required/

---CLOVER FOLDER---

CLOVER.zip

--MOBO
      GigaByte Z390 M Gaming

--PROCESSOR
      Intel Core i9-9900K

--COOLER
      CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML120R RGB

--MEMORY
      Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB)

--GPU
      Sapphiretech Radeon RX 590 8 GB GDDR5

--SSD
      Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M2 Flash Drive

--POWER SUPPLY
      EVGA 750 N1, 750W

--WIRELESS
      TP-Link Archer T9E

--BLUETOOTH
      Orico BTA-403

--CASE
      Thermaltake View 21 Tempered Glass Edition

--DSDT Patches--
      -FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS -FIX ACPI ERRORS -REMOVE UNUSED SCOPES / DEVICES -HIGH PRECISION EVENT TIMER -SATA SERIE 10 ID -DMAC -REMOVE 22K LINES, PROBLEMATIC and UNUSED -FIX K.P in REBOOT -NVRAM / REAL TIME CLOCK -SLPB -DARWIN / WINDOWS 2015 -XHCI -PLUGIN TYPE -HDAS to HDEF -HDEF -REAL TIME CLOCK -ARTC -IRQs -SBUS -MIKEY -BUS1 -MCHC -ALS0 -SHUTDOWN -UAR1 -LAN -FWHD -USBX -PMCR -PPMC -XSPI -GMM -IMEI -EC -PNLF -ARPT -GFX0 -NVME -DTGP -ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF -OPERATION REGION GPIO -MUTEX MUT0 0x00 -EXTERNAL REFERENCES -UNKNOWNOBJ -HDMI / HDAU -FULL RENAMED DEVICES  
      --SCREENSHOTS--

--BruceX--

--USB-C-- test with SanDisk Ultra USB-STICK 128gb

-Credits and thanks to the old and new people in the community who developed patches, kexts and bootloaders!
      Slice, Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, STLVNUB, pcj, apianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr, RehabMan, Download-Fritz, Zenit432, cecekpawon, Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon Team, crazybirdy, Mieze, Mirone, Oldnapalm, netkas, Elconiglio, artut-pt, ErmaC, Pavo, Toleda, Master Chief and family, bcc9, The King, PMheart, Sherlocks, Micky1979, vit9696, vandroiy2013, Voodoo Team, Pike R. Alpha, lvs1974, Austere.J, CVad, Sampath007, onemanosx, erroruser, Jenny David, Olarila Facebook Community, Hackintosh Facebook Community and many others!
      We're all here to have fun and learn from each other!
    • By Oschly
      Hi! I have a problem with 10.14.4 on booting stage (photo).
      My specs:

MOBO: Z390 MAG Tomahawk
      CPU: i7-8700k
      GPU: RX 580 Nitro+
      Wifi: BCM4331CD
      RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16CL

I've updated every kext and driver (clover version too) and only difference is that I don't have lines informing about not loading kexts (common issue here as I see).

• By chan29ster
      Hello 

My Config is

Intel core i5 9400f
      Gigabyte z390 aorus Pro Wifi Motherboard (with latest BIOS version F9a)
      8gb x 2 Corsair Vengeance Ram 3000 Mhz
      Zotac GTX 1060 Amp! Edition 6gb (Dual Fan)
      1 TB Baracuda Hard Disk
      Corsair Spec Delta Atc Cabinet
      TP-Link w832n USB Wifi Dongle for wifi 

macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)

I am able to get onboard audio, bluetooth, ethernet and all USB ports working.

But as I install Nvidia web drivers and input boot flag "nada_drv=1" my screen gets stuck at 

IOConsoleUsers : time(0) 0->0, Lin 0, lik 1
      IOConsoleUsers : gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

Please help me 

Thanks
    • By DaHarry
      I have installed Hackintosh on to my System, but the CPU cooler is obviously louder then on Windows.
      I am using right now VirtualSMC.kext, but since FakeSMC provides temperature measurement tools, and VirtualSMC not, I asked my self if that might be a hint for my loud cooler?
      My question, has somebody tried maybe both and even compared them? And is FakeSMC maybe less noisy?
      Is it enough to just mount EFI partition, and delete the VirtualSMC.kext and put instead FakeSMC.kexts ? Without any fancy kext installation tool or terminal commands, just replace files and restart in enough?
      My System:
      Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra
      CPU: Intel i9 9900k
      CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4
      GPU: Vega 64
      Ram: 2x16GB Corsair 3200
      SSD: 1TB Adata M.2

The Tutorial i have used - https://github.com/cmer/gigabyte-z390-aorus-master-hackintosh/blob/master/STEP_BY_STEP.md

Really works like a charm besides, the more noisy cooler, which i bought because it is extra quietly.
      I asked first at tonymac's forum, but they deleted the post because I haven't used their tool, really disgustig.. I really hope to never use their tools, and I hope here the information freedom is more respected.
      #f. tonyhoremacs