Vulkan on macOS

Slice

6 posts in this topic

It's a pity Apple stops developing OpenGL on macOS restricted on version 2.1 which is not enough to launch windows games DX10-11-12 in wine.

There is new interface Metal which is 64bits only. So we can start DX9 games using OpenGL, and we can start DX10/11/12 games using a bridge DX->Vulkan->Metal but only if the game is 64bits.

To do this we need

1. Wine engine with Vulkan support. There is WS9WineSherry64Bits4.2vk-28 uploaded in the forum.

Binary releases and tests

2. Install MoltenVK SDK into your system.

3. Install DXVK (latest) into your wrapper using winetricks.

There are still bugs and missing features so not every game will work. There is fast developement and I hope in nearest future more games will be supported.

Here I will upload unofficial updates for vulkan packages. Test, please!

MoltenVK_update050319.zip

• Like 3

Sounds interesting! So you say, it could be possible to get CS:GO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_(game_engine)) running on macOS in "Windows mode (DX)" instead of using its OpenGL version which is less performant? It seems to use DX7-9.

The OpenGL version of Source is something on top of the DX version that makes it run on Linux and Mac. Maybe if we launch the DX version with Metal bridge it gives better frame rates!

Edited by unixb0y

• 1 year later...

CrossOver 20 released on October 13. In changelog they said DX11 games are being supported, and it runs 10.14=<

https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover/changelog

macOS:

• Support Big Sur (macOS 11).
  • Improve support for Steam and Steam games.
  • Support for DirectX 11 games.

I expecting some quite nice improvements in the future!

As for now, it's very unusable.

I tested out 35 DX11 games laying on my Win HDD, 10 is working well including Beyond Two Souls, Rocket League (new), Dishonored 2 and Death of The Outsider with minor bugs, and little games from itch.io are working without any problems (except the mouse).

They really need to optimise the HDD usage because almost all games are stuttering when moving and caching the new textures, but the 9 games are running quite well besides that, with very respective FPS usage. Most of them are won't start or unplayable tho. There are lots of problems with games using software mouse too, it's very buggy.

Well, it's just the beginning, I think they are really started to work on that, they are searching for new developers and they released their source code too. So in my opinion it's a really good start and the beginning of something. 

Edited by kushwavez