Patching MSR 0xE2 on GA-Z370-HD3P

Lord Kamina

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone been succesful doing this?

My board is MSR locked consistently along all cores according to VerifyMSRE2.efi; I can follow the instructions in AptioKit's readme for unlocking it via finding the settings offset and using setup_var (although I get some GUID and offset errors but seemingly it works fine) but I haven't been able to patch the BIOS. Using the patches.txt from the repo, the Kaby Lake patch sInit patch is applied but it appears to not be enough, since the register won't change if I flash this patched bios. Has anybody figured out whether there might be something else needed here to patch this properly?

I also tried to patch the "default" option from Enabled to Disabled by using an hex editor and rebuilding the BIOS file; figured out in

[icode]

0x3733B             One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0 {09 07 04 00 00 00 00}
0x37342             One Of Option: Enabled, Value (8 bit): 0x1 (default) {09 07 03 00 30 00 01}

[/icode]

the 30 corresponds to "default" but again, this didn't change anything (although it is possible that "Default" is just cosmetic and I didn't actually change the setting I guess)

Edited by Lord Kamina

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
3 hours ago, 1Ale1 said:

No, this is a very bad choice, this patchers the kernel and makes the system unstable.

@Lord Kamina check the guide here

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/extras/msr-lock.html

A system is quite stable with KernelPm patch. Moreover it is more stable than without the patch even if E2 is not locked.

Proof of stability? How?

Let's say that it's just an observation on the forum.

I have a BIOS that permits me to LOCK or UNLOCK CFG, i.e. msr 0xE2 and I am able to test on this computer how it will work if E2 locked but KernelPM patch applied. And I compare with unlocked BIOS.

And my computer #2 which is Dell Latitude has locked E2. Anyway I live with it 3 years without any unstability and bad behaviour.