Need Advice - Building a Bad Ass Video Editing Computer (OSX)

9 posts in this topic

I'm a software developer, and have been getting into a lot of photo/video-ography. So I'm looking for advice from the community to help me build bad ass video editing comp so I don't waste my life in front of the screen waiting on rendering times.

So I've watched this video --  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY_h_W5I0Jo&t=497s

• Looks like in terms of video editing using software like PR and AE, the amount of CPU cores seems to be the greatest factor and the amount of GPU cores coming in 2nd?

Build: (keep in mind I want to run OSX)

• CPU - So I'm looking at getting the new Intel i9? (because the amount of cores)
  • GPU - some high core Radeon GPU? (because I think all apple stuff works with Radeon)
  • FAN - cooler master, idk is this a reliable brand? 
  • idk what  else open for suggestions

Edited by Jordan Davis
for descriptive title

8 hours ago, Jordan Davis said:

Looks like in terms of video editing using software like PR and AE

Sorry but a very basic question, if you want to run PR and AE then why you need a Hackintosh as those applications run in Windows the same? i9 is an expensive CPU so you can make the best use of it under Windows as Apple has no official support for the desktop version yet, last time I checked some people could run it under macOS but with 6 cores recognized not 8 (idk if that has changed now).

If you'd run FCPX which is also very good piece of software then maybe yes its worth the try, otherwise ?

• Like 1

AfterEffects doesn't do well with more than ~12 cores. Premiere can use far more.

Yes, you probably want to go with an i9, but will need some serious cooling. I'd recommend a 360mm AIO liquid cooler. Fractal design makes an inexpensive one, or Corsair of course.

The 1080 Ti is still the fastest card for AE/Premiere, but obviously there is no 10.14 support yet (and if it does come then you would probably want a RTX 2xxx series card).

An AMD card would make things easier though, and still be plenty fast in most cases.

Most X299 motherboards work, but I would recommend ASRock if you don't need too many bells and whistles, or ASUS if you don't mind spending a bit more.

16 hours ago, RandomTech said:

Sorry but a very basic question, if you want to run PR and AE then why you need a Hackintosh as those applications run in Windows the same? i9 is an expensive CPU so you can make the best use of it under Windows as Apple has no official support for the desktop version yet, last time I checked some people could run it under macOS but with 6 cores recognized not 8 (idk if that has changed now).

If you'd run FCPX which is also very good piece of software then maybe yes its worth the try, otherwise ?

i9 CPUs work fine. Not sure where you are getting your info, but they worked pretty much since they day they came out.

17 hours ago, maleorderbride said:

The 1080 Ti is still the fastest card for AE/Premiere

Do you have any source for that? Because (not officially supported) GTX cards works the same as AMD cards for Pr and Ae and even a bit less after watching this video:

16 hours ago, maleorderbride said:

Not sure where you are getting your info

From internet, do you have better place to suggest ?

9 hours ago, RandomTech said:

Do you have any source for that? Because (not officially supported) GTX cards works the same as AMD cards for Pr and Ae and even a bit less after watching this video:

From internet, do you have better place to suggest ?

I would recommend a website that specializes in pro apps instead of one with a 15 minute ad by Linus for Blue Apron: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2018-NVIDIA-GeForce-vs-AMD-Radeon-Vega-1206/

The link to Linus you posted doesn't have Vega or GTX 10xx series cards in it. Why is that relevant in almost 2019? Anyway, a Vega 64 doesn't match a GTX 1080 Ti in anything compute (other than OpenCL vs OpenCL of course), so between worse all around performance and 37.5% less VRAM there isn't much to think about.

As for how one might know that i9 2066 CPUs work fine with MacOS--you might try this very website that you are looking at right now. If you can't even run a search on InsanelyMac then I'm not sure why you think you should be giving advice to this guy.

Edited by maleorderbride

12 hours ago, maleorderbride said:

The link to Linus you posted doesn't have Vega or GTX 10xx series cards in it. Why is that relevant in almost 2019? Anyway, a Vega 64 doesn't match a GTX 1080 Ti in anything compute (other than OpenCL vs OpenCL of course), so between worse all around performance and 37.5% less VRAM there isn't much to think about.

As for how one might know that i9 2066 CPUs work fine with MacOS--you might try this very website that you are looking at right now. If you can't even run a search on InsanelyMac then I'm not sure why you think you should be giving advice to this guy.

This is how a typical fanboy changes the whole conversation into a specific hardware against another, GTX 1080 is slightly faster in Adobe but Vega is faster on anything else on Hackintosh running Apple macOS also more Hackintosh friendly, don't forget our topic is about Hackintosh, so as the Linus (old) video showed everyone it doesn't matter if AMD or Nvidia, it all depend on how beefy the GPU is (as he declares at the end as conclusion). of course usd800 would slightly faster than usd500 GPU in Adobe, but is it worth it to pay extra usd300 for a tiny difference? Only Jordan Davis have the answer, not you or me.

Also what I see worthless from you is to suggest someone a not Hackintosh friendly GPU like GTX 1080ti for a Hackintosh, as you have one you already know what GTX 10xx and Hackintosh huge amount of problems are , so I'm not going into details and that Nvidia that fake Webdriver issues and its obvious because Apple don't support GTX 1080ti for macOS. please don't remind me my nightmares back then when I had GTX 980ti in my Hackintosh.

About the CPU, as I said ''last I checked (idk if that has changed now)'' doesn't mean is a fact as I'm writing it clearly and giving the person a chance to do his in depth research to find better informations (as my sentence was about doubting, nothing fact) anyone could understand that, but not you? Ok I see why.

We are already off topic now and I feel ashamed to face a fanboy with low level of mentality into discourse something and feel sorry for Jordan Davis who opened this topic, that's why I will totally ignore you so don't waste my time even more.

7 hours ago, RandomTech said:

This is how a typical fanboy changes the whole conversation into a specific hardware against another, GTX 1080 is slightly faster in Adobe but Vega is faster on anything else on Hackintosh running Apple macOS also more Hackintosh friendly, don't forget our topic is about Hackintosh, so as the Linus (old) video showed everyone it doesn't matter if AMD or Nvidia, it all depend on how beefy the GPU is (as he declares at the end as conclusion). of course usd800 would slightly faster than usd500 GPU in Adobe, but is it worth it to pay extra usd300 for a tiny difference? Only Jordan Davis have the answer, not you or me.

Also what I see worthless from you is to suggest someone a not Hackintosh friendly GPU like GTX 1080ti for a Hackintosh, as you have one you already know what GTX 10xx and Hackintosh huge amount of problems are , so I'm not going into details and that Nvidia that fake Webdriver issues and its obvious because Apple don't support GTX 1080ti for macOS. please don't remind me my nightmares back then when I had GTX 980ti in my Hackintosh.

About the CPU, as I said ''last I checked (idk if that has changed now)'' doesn't mean is a fact as I'm writing it clearly and giving the person a chance to do his in depth research to find better informations (as my sentence was about doubting, nothing fact) anyone could understand that, but not you? Ok I see why.

We are already off topic now and I feel ashamed to face a fanboy with low level of mentality into discourse something and feel sorry for Jordan Davis who opened this topic, that's why I will totally ignore you so don't waste my time even more.

Get some help man. I said:

"The 1080 Ti is still the fastest card for AE/Premiere, but obviously there is no 10.14 support yet (and if it does come then you would probably want a RTX 2xxx series card).

An AMD card would make things easier though, and still be plenty fast in most cases." That's a direct quote from my first post in this thread.

These are all factual statements. The 1080 Ti is the fastest card for Premiere & AE. If one wants to build a "bad ass video editing computer" then that would be the logical choice. I even specifically mention that an AMD is also a reasonable choice as it can be easier and still fast enough for most people. I'm not sure how accusing someone of being a "fanboy" is a relevant response to inconvenient facts.

The GTX 1080 Ti has problems with OpenCL (use CUDA instead, of course), and no support in 10.14 at this time. However, it is grossly mistaken to say a GTX 1080 Ti has a "huge amount of problems." Just as you have been mistaken to say that only six cores of an i9 CPU work in MacOS, and just as you have been mistaken to say that an "A GTX card works the same as AMD for Premiere/AE, and even a bit less." You are clearly quite ignorant about hackintoshes, so I don't understand why you are here giving advice instead of reading the forum boards and perhaps learning something.

I understand I hurt your feelings by critiquing your words harshly. Sorry about that. 

Edited by maleorderbride