Mojave VM, Unlocker 3.0.2 failure

Naki

11 posts in this topic

I updated to VMware Workstation 15.0.2 today, was using 15.0.1 previously. Using Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit Host OS - all updates installed, version of OS: 1809.

Run the Mac Unlocker as necessary after a VMware update - version of Unlocker quoted in subject, all seemed to go fine as usual.

Good, BUT my older VMs work - macOS 10.11, 10.13 for example - and my latest Mojave 10.14.1 is now effectively dead.

Fix coming? It showed an error I know well - 2-word "Internal Error" dialog with a red X trying to resume the VM. Trying to resume again showed the error again, as usual.
I said OKay, will turn off the VM, then turn it back on. Thus usually always worked! Not this time, VMware said "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the VM":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zznimh34zljnf7l/Screenshot 2018-11-30 00.29.42.png?dl=0

Turn off, then back on does not work. Reset does not work either. The VM just sits on the Apple logo, NO progress bar of loading anything. NOT good! Any ideas?

CPU is an Intel Core i5, 32 GB of DDR3 RAM, plenty of disk space.

Edited by Naki

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 1:20 PM, Naki said:

Hello..? Anyone? :-(

Did you uninstall the unlocker first before the update of vmware workstation? I suggest to uninstall vmware workstation, reboot, reinstall it, and patch it with the latest unlocker. It is quite strange, that the other VMs are working, I hope the mojave VM is not corrupted or sg like that...

Not an option. Donk, any comments, please?

NO, I did not uninstall, this was never necessary, and is unlikely to be necessary now.

Please note on update of VMware Workstation to a new version all files are replaced anyway with default non-modified files. Then I patch with the Unlocker, and this works and always had. 

I need to know why my VM failed and how to fix without any reinstall or uninstall of VMware Workstation.

NOTE: I was able to get a new VM of Mojave to work fine, including updating to latest Mojave version/build, but I cannot keep creating new VMs for no good reason if they keep failing this way.

Edited by Naki

So the macOS VMs were suspended and not shutdown when you upgraded Workstation? This has always been a source of issues in VMware not just macOS, as sometomes the save state format changes. VMware folks I know always recommend all VMs are shutdown when upgrading.

I am not sure if I can help here as never seen this before, but my guess is the CPU save state is not being loaded correctly. Can you zip up a directory listing of one of the VMs with VMX and log files please?

Thanks for responding! Yes, I believe I had this Mojave VM suspended and not fully off.

IF the fix is so simple, I will try next time a new VMware Workstation gets released. :)

OKay, sure - I will get you THREE ZIP files - one of the working (NEW one I created) Mojave VM, one of the failed VM, and one from a VM of High Sierra too (for comparisonon).

I will create these in a bit later today and attach. :)

Thanks for the quick reply once again.

No worries, I understand (I work in software beta testing & tech support, so I know how it works when new projects or new versions are worked on)!

Sorry for the delayed reply, due to holidays mostly. :) 3 RAR files are attached, I included crash dumps too, hopefully those can help also:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AKzgnoHJ-7Wa6yc&id=FD1C79EAFC62357B!65789&cid=FD1C79EAFC62357B

Please let me know if these show something of use. :)

(NOTE: The High Sierra files mention Yosemite, because this was a Yosemite VM then upgraded to High Sierra and file names all remained the same.)

Any updates, please?
A short reply such as "Cannot do now, will check after New Year's" is fine too! :) I guess you are very busy now, with recent Christmas holidays and now New Year coming too. :)

Edited by Naki

I did look at the files and then had a bad cold so forgot to reply. The bad news is there is nothing obvious about why it is not booting. I cannot re-create it with 15.0.2. So I at this stage I don't know what to look for next.

Okay, thanks! :) Hope you are better now. 

In this case, I will be just careful to backup the VMs and fully turn them all off as suggested before updating VMware Workstation to newer version(s).

Hopefully that will keep the VMs working normally. :) 

Edited by Naki