Information/Books/Sources to learn the technical site of Hackintosh/IOS/AMD Kernel Development to become a developer

Hawxxer

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

do you know where someone could start getting involved in development for Hackintosh / IOS (jailbreaks etc.) development? I am searching for information about the Kernel development rather than developing apps. 

I recently finished my bachelor of engineering in electric engineering but the computer science always interested me more. We are being tought about some principles of a operation systems and writing code in c..

Until know I found the apple developer website, and the books from Jonathan Levin (but they are some kind of expensive for my current situation as a student).

I also think that it would be useful to get started with the structure of the linux kernel.

Do you have more sources I could learn more? How did you become what you are know in the hackintosh community? 

Google is not very helpful "Hackintosh development" only brings up how to develop apps with an hackintosh...

I posted it in AMD because I am especially interested in the kernel manipulation to get the XNU Kernel working under AMD. If this is the wrong corner, please move it in the right one. :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you.

EDIT

And for sure other sources are the wikis of insanelymac and the other hackintosh websites!

Edited by Hawxxer

I'm not a programmer/developer, but I took interest in it a while when I was younger.  Most of my development experience is just compiling source code as-is, without changes.  I can read through some easy code and figure out how it works, but that's my extent of programming knowledge.  So believe me when I say I'm not an expert by any means.

That being said, however, if you are just a beginning developer (which it sounds like you are judging by your OP, correct me if I'm wrong), I HIGHLY recommend starting with something much simpler than kernel development.  A kernel is very low-level, and it gets very complex very fast.  Writing code in C, as you have said, is a very good start, but you should be very proficient in C before you try OS or kernel development.  It's akin to starting to learn Dutch grammar rules without knowing a single word in Dutch.  You need to start with the basics and work your way up.  Other developers here can chime in and give their own advice if they want, but that's just my take!

• Like 1