[How-To] BCM20702 USB Bluetooth Dongle under Mojave (TP-Link T9E Continuity + AirDrop)

unixb0y

2 posts in this topic

Bluetooth + AirDrop + Apple Watch "Auto Unlock" + Continuity / Handoff

BCM20702 / TP-Link T9E (AC1900)

I have a little update on getting BCM20702 running in Mojave:

Without kext files, nothing worked "OOB" with my USB dongle. So I got "BrcmFirmwareStore" and "BrcmPatchRAM2" from RehabMan.

I tried putting the kext files in /L/E , didn't work so I tried /S/L/E. * While that didn't work at first, I then tried to refresh the kext cache; the files didn't show up in kextstat.
I used this command:

sudo kextcache -invalidate /

which told me 2 error messages: BrcmFirmwareStore and BrcmPatchRAM2 had the wrong permissions. This is fixed like so:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/BrcmPatchRAM2.kext/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/BrcmPatchRAM2.kext/
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/

Reboot and be happy! :happymac:
Both the actual Bluetooth entry in System Preferences, that was missing before as well as an entry in System Report > Bluetooth finally appeared!
I have a TP-Link Archer T9E WiFi card and now in conjunction, AirDrop does work like a charm! :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers, Dave :weight_lift:

* EDIT:

RehabMan replied to me on GitHub and it's not recommended to use /S/L/E and you should let that folder remain reserved for Apple original kext files. So I tried putting the files (with the correct permissions) back into /Library/Extensions and Bluetooth and AirDrop both still work fine!
So I would recommend to put the files either into EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or - like me - into /Library/Extensions and after (or before) copying the two kext files, set the permissions like shown above for both files with chown and chmod.

EDIT2: 

I totally forgot to mention that even unlock via Apple Watch works! I assumed it would not work, until the "iMac" itself saw my Watch and kindly asked if I wanted to activate it :w00t: I immediately turned the feature on and it's working like a charm!

What also perfectly works is Handoff. It's a feature that I never found really useful, especially between iOS and Mac, however when I have a Safari window open on my iPhone, the Hackintosh shows me the handoff Safari icon in the App switcher as well as in the dock (only tested Safari for now) and it behaves just like on my MacBook Pro!

Universal Clipboard is also working as well as SMS / MMS.

I couldn't test "Cellular Calls" and the "Continuity Camera" as I don't have a second phone and it's quite late here right now for calling someone on the telephone and I don't have any iOS 12 devices either. The "Instant Hotspot" did not work, but I think that anybody going the TP-Link T9E + BCM20702 way is building a PC that is permanently attached to WLAN or even LAN (Ethernet), so that's not an issue. I think laptop Hackintoshers should just use a MacBook WiFi card as they probably already have the connector etc. etc. (no adapter or Motherboard-dependent solutions needed).

Edited by unixb0y
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

After I type 

sudo kextcache -invalidate /

I get :

Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd0076973a0 [0x7fff99db68f0]> { URL = "BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmFirmwareStore" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd00769acb0 [0x7fff99db68f0]> { URL = "BrcmPatchRAM2.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM2" }

chown and chmod does not work for me for now.

Can you help? 

I need to say, that my bluetooth and wifi are already working. 

I have :

TL-WDN4800 + BCM20702

Bluetooth was working fine right after installation.

Wifi only worked with @Cyberdevs AirPortAtheros40.kext installer 

What do I need to do?

Edited by jxe27276