NEW i9 HACKINTOSH BUILD

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so I hope I respect all the rules of this holy land ! (Please don't slay the noob !)

I need your wisdom to give me advice for the new money burning hackintosh I'm building. I already have one, but I never managed to get it stabble enough and it gave me many headaches. Also it wasn't nearly powerfull enough for a tue professional use. The new one will serve me for my work as a video and sound editor but also, cause work's not everything, to dual boot and game while thinking of slaying some random and disrespectfull diretor !

As I'm not much of a hardcore geek, the idea is to have a stable build that will last for quite a while, and be open for future adjustments or upgrades. I wish it to be as silent as possible and I really do not care about RGB stuff.

I have searched a lot and seen many different builds but none who satisfid all my criteria.

But I really want to find all the best parts possible and so I come for your help.

For now, here are the parts I've selected :

CPU : Intel I9 7900X 3.3GHz

CPU Cooling System : Noctua NH-U12S

MOBO : Gigabyte GA-X299 AORUS Gaming 7 Pro or Asus Prime X299-DELUXE

RAM : SKILL F4–3200 mémoire 32gtzr (I'll add 32 more as soon as I'll have the money)

System Drive High Sierra : Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD 512 Go

System Drive Windows 10 : SSD Crucial 250go (Not for too long though !)

PSUs : Corsair HX1200i 80 PLUS Platinum, 1200 Watt

I haven't figure out the GPU nor the case yet... So please tell me what you thing cause there are so many models out there... I was thinking maybe a MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X or the Radeon™ Pro WX 7100 Graphics which looks amazing for editing but not so great for hackintosh...

Thanks a lot for your time and you help !

Raph.

Edited by raphcort
  • Like 1

Hello friend and welcome to the best Hackintosh website, I'm not in anyway in the moderation team so don't get me wrong if I  welcome you  just a user who got helped with no limits from this super helpful community here.

About your link you might be read the rules again because some famous Hackintosh websites steal the ideas from here and publish them on their websites and get all the benefits from users support for them only, and that one is one of them I think (Better to read the rules as I said).

Now to the main question, the hardware you selected are really powerful but in some cases can bring you a headache which you are avoiding to have, they will work but they need a lot of attention with every new macOS release, so the secret behind having a successful and stable machine which will work flawlessly is to follow Apple taste and orientation of hardware, that's the big secret of Hackintosh stability. (Seriously, ask me about that).

For video editing a GPU will be the most important part of the system, if not then the second, so in this case I recommend a supported Radeon card as Apple suggests, works flawlessly, stable and fully supported for Apple professional Applications where the drivers are already developed and integrated in the operation system itself, so what's better than that?

GTX 1080Ti is a powerful gaming card, but not for Hackintosh as my 2 years experience with GTX GPUs, I used to have GTX 970 and 980Ti but I cannot keep the issues I had to myself, I just want to share.

1. Sometimes windows opened only in a white colour, no content to show up. (Photo attached)

2. Any Apple pro application would never utilise my powerful GTX GPU, just seemed not to be there.

3. Apple loves updates, and with any update I waited to the new Nvidia Drivers with the hope it'll fix some issues still never happened.

4. With any fresh install I should move back and forth in the boot argues to complete the installation.

Since I switched to RX 480 and now with my RX Vega 64 I have non of those issues, this cards are correctly utilised and have no headaches to install any update and over all everything runs smooth, that been said you'd better to go with Pro WX 7100 as you were thinking, I never had this one but Apple official website recommends this card as fully supported, so why not?

(Hint) a RX 580 would be faster and more beneficial than GTX 1080Ti for any Hackintosh with Apple operation system.

Now about X299 and i9, just reading the guides I get confused about customisations and steps to follow even if Im building Hackintoshes since 2011, for me it goes like this: The more steps to take the less stability to have, the less steps to take the more stability to have. So it depends on which one you prefer.

Hope this will help you even a bit.

Cheers.

Rob

GTX 980Ti on Sierra

GTX 980Ti on Sierra.jpg

Edited by RandomTech
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks man, thaaks for taking the time ! It's really helpfull ! I have deleted the link, I didn't know about this stealing business...

So you think I should go with a i7 7900x ? And do you have a recommended MOBO ? 

• Like 1

Following you question is hard to recommend i7 7900x or not, I just wanted to explain the good and the bad so you choose what suits your needs. You wanted the most powerful yet the less headache so I wanted to tell you that's not possible because.

The most powerful i7 7900x system = Less Hackintosh friendly

The less powerful i7 8700K system = The most Hackintosh friendly

So now you can choose which one is for you.

About your MOBO question, I think all compatible motherboards works the same but from my experience the most Hackintosh friendly to me was always Gigabyte, but please don't take my words as a fact because some say Asus is the best so do your research on that to pick the best one for you.

I hope it was more clear this time.