Mojave and AirPortAtheros40.kext

SpiderCab

7 posts in this topic

Is there a way to automatically add the AirPortAtheros40.kext to IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins so that you can have WiFi during the install phase? or is there a way to force the Hackintosh to use IO80211Family.kext from clover instead of the apple one in S/L/E?

I tried doing that but it doesn’t work. Neither Airport nor IO80211 kexts load from Clover folder.

There is the ATH9Kfixup kext with is suppoed to work from Clover folder but for some reason I could never get that to work either...

If you do manage to get it to work, please do update.

2 hours ago, STLVNUB said:

From my experience IF you do get it to work the wifi will be en0. iMessage/Facetime won't work because lan has to be en0

So make sure you have kexts for your lan as well.

It already works when using the patched AirPortAtheros40.kext in /S/L/E and is assigned en2.

What we're hoping to do is make system more "vanilla" by avoiding installing patched kexts to S/L/E.

Patched AirPortAtheros40.kext doesn't load from Clover folder (maybe because it's older than vanilla SLE one, or maybe unfilled dependencies on early boot) 

I wish I could get ATH9Kfixup to work. It's supposed to do on the fly patching.

@SpiderCab

To get Atheros wifi working for your installer, you need to replace its prelinked kernel with one that includes IO80211Family.kext from High Sierra eg attached to this post is prelinked kernel from Mojave10.14_18A391 that has this kext inside.

To generate your own prelinked kernel, see post#1 in this thread.  Follow instructions for "Custom Prelinkedkernel Generator Tool", running the PLK.tool in Mojave (after adding Mojave BaseSystem.dmg and IO80211Family.kext to "ExtraKexts" folder).

@XLNC's post in that same thread is useful if you make an installer with createinstallmedia.

Mojave prelinkedkernel with Atheros Wifi.zip

8 hours ago, oldman20 said:

hi, i used your attach file, but still cant get wifi work with ínstaller Mojave. Please explain, bro?

I assume your Atheros wifi card worked properly before in 10.13.6?  What method did you use to make the Mojave installer and where did you copy the prelinkedkenel to?

The wifi icon in the installer may be "invisible" at first before you click the title bar of the Mojave installer on the top RHS (Right Hand Side)...

Edited by fusion71au
Updated prelinkedkernel from 10.14_18A391 and answer @oldman's question
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2018 at 3:42 AM, fusion71au said:

@SpiderCab

To get Atheros wifi working for your installer, you need to replace its prelinked kernel with one that includes IO80211Family.kext from High Sierra eg attached to this post is prelinked kernel from Developer Beta 10 that has this kext inside.

To generate your own prelinked kernel, see post#1 in this thread.  Follow instructions for "Custom Prelinkedkernel Generator Tool", running the PLK.tool in Mojave (after adding Mojave BaseSystem.dmg and IO80211Family.kext to "ExtraKexts" folder).

@XLNC's post in that same thread is useful if you make an installer with createinstallmedia.

Mojave prelinkedkernel with Atheros Wifi.zip

hi, i used your attach file, but still cant get wifi work with ínstaller Mojave. Please explain, bro?

Edited by oldman20

On 9/5/2018 at 5:42 PM, fusion71au said:

I assume your Atheros wifi card worked properly before in 10.13.6?  What method did you use to make the Mojave installer and where did you copy the prelinkedkenel to?

thanks your attention, yep, my wifi card work well before version. I created mojave installer by createinstallmedia method. I copied the prelinkedkernel replace orginal file in S/L/PrelinkedKernels

The wifi icon in the installer may be "invisible" at first before you click the titlebar on the top RHS... 

and how to make it visible, or how to choose wifi to connect if that true?

8 minutes ago, oldman20 said:

thanks your attention, yep, my wifi card work well before version. I created mojave installer by createinstallmedia method. I copied the prelinkedkernel replace orginal file in S/L/PrelinkedKernels

The wifi icon in the installer may be "invisible" at first before you click the titlebar on the top RHS... 

and how to make it visible, or how to choose wifi to connect if that true?

Click title bar of the Mojave installer window on top RHS to enable wifi and enter wifi password...

IMG_2633.JPG.402c73498a692e8fff49776d67af8cfe.JPGIMG_2634.JPG.c4b13ede9e28f4c8c394521643476f7b.JPG