ivoryblade

Imac 27" (Late 2012) + Clover + MacOS on NVME SSD

3 posts in this topic

Hello! My internal SSD lifetime is running out so I'm thinking how to upgrade it. I don't want to replace it with slow Sata SSD so I want to buy OWCMercury Helios and install new nvme fast ssd, but I won't be able to boot from it using standard boot loader.... Is it possible to boot nvme ssd using Clover on real iMac?

Edited by ivoryblade

Advertisement

For Clover to start from NVME there must be NvmExpressDxe anywhere out of the drive. Can't load driver for device from the device.

If your firmware contains the driver then you don't need Clover, you can boot directly.

Else you may boot Clover with Nvme support from USB stick but I am not sure it is comfortable.

7 hours ago, Slice said:

For Clover to start from NVME there must be NvmExpressDxe anywhere out of the drive. Can't load driver for device from the device.

If your firmware contains the driver then you don't need Clover, you can boot directly.

Else you may boot Clover with Nvme support from USB stick but I am not sure it is comfortable.

Yes indeed I was planing to use another device that is supported for clover. Maybe someone knows any other Thunderbolt1-PciEX adapter instead of Helios?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 3dimensions
      AppleNVMe Assert failed: ( 0 != data ) Release IDNode file: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-470.40.4/IONVMeController.cpp line 5416

Most of NVMe problems with IONVMeFamily were fixed in macOS 10.13 High Sierra so people rarely have this kind of problems so I have not been able to get information on how to fix this problems on newer macOS versions, macOS Catalina in my case.

So if anyone has any idea on how to bypass or fix this problem, let me know.
      My disk specs: (INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8H) 512GB SSD PCIe NVMe M.2

If you need more information, tell me what you need and how to get it with Windows or Ubuntu.

If there is no solution or it is very hard to fix just tell me and I will try to install macOS Catalina on another PC with HDD because things look very grim. 

I am using Clover UEFI Bootloader.
      Uploading EFI folder if you want to take a peek.
      EFI.zip

Computer: HP 15-da1083ns
      Some basic computer specs

• By TorqueX86
      Hi guys,

I'm at my wit's end. I really need a hand here.
      I found only one clover setup for my motherboard, and works absolutely flawlessly for Mojave.

Today I added an Asus Thunderbolt EX3 card, and that won't even let me boot my Mojave installation.

My config.plist in attachment. Let's solve at least the Thunderbolt issue for now.

There are also other issues, but let's solve this one first.

Asus WS Z390 PRO + i9 9900K
      32GB 3200
      Nvidia 2080Ti for Windows and AMD RX480 for MacOS.
      Samsung NVME 950PRO
      config.plist
    • By Humboldt421
      I would like to use an intel H10 optane SSD module to create a fusion drive container for an osx install. 
      I have an MSI b360i pro AC mobo with intel i5-8400 amd rx580 8gb and 2x 8gb ddr4 2666 
      Its all in a Dan case with the HdPlex 400w Pure DC PSU 
      Its running windows on a Toshiba KXG5A 512 SSD which is fast but i wanted to install osx and I wanted to use a new drive for that, I chose the H10 intel optane drive because from what I gather if I dont use any optane software or bios settings it will appear as two drives to the UEFI firmware, one 32gb Optane drive and the 512 SSD, I wanted to know if I could use this as a fusion drive container. Has anyone done this? Also I need to figure out the DSDT or clover setup to use to make this mobo boot with the hardware I have. I havent built a osx86 box since ML but I think that i can figure it out with some help. Thanks.
    • By gusbemacbe
      Hello,

I am a former user of MacBook and Mac mini. Both died. One in 2014 and another last year.  I will think of giving my Hackintosh-compatible laptop to my brother that I purchased years ago, because he wants to play more than one computer, so he is a Twitch/YouTube streamer and a hardcore gamer and I will not need to lend him many times. If he wants, from my former laptop I will take only one 240GB SSD Samsung Evo with installed Arch Linux and leave one 500GB HDD for him. In the future, I will purchase a new Alienware laptop.

As I got newly graduated, I moved to a new super PC with AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X CPU and with NVIDIA GeForce™ 1660 Ti GPU. More details, you can see my signature below, that provides the complete details. I own an external SSD m.2 2280 with installed Windows 10.

I will reconsider purchasing 4th drive – an external 480GB SSD m.2 2280 SATA WD Green 545MB/s or an external 1TB SSD SATA WD Green 545MB/s – for installing Hackintosh. But purchasing, I need to make sure.

1. Is it worth to install Hackintosh on an external SSD m.2 2280? If I partition two partitions, one for Insansely's MyHack/Chameleon/Clover and another for Hackintosh and my new super-PC boot is natively BIOS and Grub, is it worth? Maybe I will try to install reFind on Arch Linux to replace the Grub if it is worth.
      2. I know that it will run on macOS High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina, but if I need Metal 2 to run the latest version of Sketch (the which I own an original licence) and of other apps the which I own original licences? Is NVIDIA GeForce™ 1660 Ti compatible with Metal 2?
      3. Since it be an external SSD, will I able to run Hackintosh as a portable OS in other computers?