Intel UHD 630 Graphics (0x3e918086 i3-8100) Coffeelake no hardware acceleration only 5MB memory graphics

ginola

15 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Intel i3-8100 is Coffee Lake desktop CPU with integrated Intel UHD 630 graphics carrying id 0x3E91/0x3E92. As such, I'm not entirely sure you need to fake IntelGFX 0x3E91 as you currently do. To me, this is unnecessary and I would remove such id faking.

Now, looking at what the latest version of Clover Configurator offers in terms of Coffee Lake iGPU layout-ids, it would seem that you got it wrong by injecting a layout 0x3E910000:

Coffee_layouts.png.1dfb8bb72c425c5bca5696bcaeaa57d1.png

It should be one of the 3 x desktop layouts listed above. Injecting an incorrect layout would not give you graphics acceleration and that's indeed what you currently experience.

My hardware id is 0x3E91

acpi-graphics.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 6:45 AM, Hervé said:

... As such, I'm not entirely sure you need to fake IntelGFX 0x3E91 as you currently do. To me, this is unnecessary and I would remove such id faking.

I'm using HD530 graphics but I wanted to say that this fixed my issue. Been fighting this for hours; turned off fakeid & graphics acceleration is working and showing 1536MB (instead of 5MB). I'm not hte OP, but thanks a ton, Herve!

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2020 at 2:46 AM, Nomor5 said:

Helloo....is this case solved already?? i have same problem, my UHD 630 Intel Core i3 8100 only show 5Mb

UHD 630 works almost perfectly on my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 here.  Your AAPL,ig-platform-id may be different for I3 (not sure).  See the references in my post for help.

I think there are two cases:

1. Graphics integrated into mobile CPU.

2. Into desktop CPU.

The second case will not work in macOS. Or poor supported with stuttering and glitches.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:06 AM, Slice said:

I think there are two cases:

1. Graphics integrated into mobile CPU.

2. Into desktop CPU.

The second case will not work in macOS. Or poor supported with stuttering and glitches.

Seems to be a matter of selecting the right Model ID that has the same CPU.

21 minutes ago, Slice said:

Didn't check all these models but at least this one

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i3-3.6-21-inch-aluminum-retina-4k-early-2019-specs.html

has Radeon Pro 555 as graphics.

The i3-8100 has an Intel UHD 630 GPU built-in, and as an empirical matter, as I stated in this post, setting Model ID to iMac19,2 fixes the stuttering and glitches.  The Radeon is an additional graphics card with a separate driver.  Apple's Intel CFL driver takes the Model ID into account and works right for the built-in GPU even if it's not used.

7 hours ago, Slice said:

Radeon is main graphics while built-in Intel serves as IQSV.

It doesn't matter as long as Apple made the effort for this CPU/GPU comination (i3-8100) to operate correctly in their driver.  Its device id is 0x3e918086 which is explicitly listed in the Info.plist for both CFLGraphicsFramebuffer and KBLGraphics.  It has some associated ig-platform-ids.  AFAIK this device id is only used in the desktop i3 CPUs.  So what's your theory for their making the effort?

Just to reemphasize - my i3-8100 GPU works flawlessly with H310 chipset if I set Model ID to iMac19,2.  I don't have Lilu/WhateverGreen installed, and the only related kext patch is to enable HDMI audio on port 6.  This patch is optional in the sense that graphics would still work without it - but HDMI audio would be muted.  The framebuffer settings in the firmware I believe are set to "auto" - at least I don't remember tweaking them from the default.  I also use -disablegfxfirmware boot arg.  Last time I tried w/o it there was deadlock during boot, but that was many versions of macos ago.

PS

after further review, I found I also have DSDT patches to rename GFX0 to IGPU, HECI to IMEI

<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>Rename GFX0 to IGPU</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>R0ZYMA==</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>SUdQVQ==</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>Rename HECI to IMEI</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>SEVDSQ==</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>SU1FSQ==</data>
				</dict>

I believe this is important, because the graphics kexts look for for the associated ACPI devices by explicit name occasionially.

I don't manually specify an ig-platform-id.  The one implicitly injected by Clover for device 0x3E918086 is 0x0x3E92000.  The kext patch I mentioned to change DP connector to HDMI on port 6 for this configuration is

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>10.14.4-CFL-3E920000-Port_0x6-DP2HDMI</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>AgQKAAAEAACHAQAA</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>AgQKAAAIAACHAQAA</data>
			</dict>

Additionally, I have AddPNLF set to false in DSDT fixes because the native DSDT has an object named PNLF for another purpose than the one Apple uses.

Also, I double-checked in the bios setup, and the graphics memory aperture is indeed set to AUTO.  The primary graphics adapter is listed as PCIE, but I don't have a PCIE graphics card, so it falls back to IGPU.

I hope this helps people having problems getting graphics to work on 0x3E918086.

Edited by Zenith432
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2020 at 5:34 AM, Zenith432 said:

It doesn't matter as long as Apple made the effort for this CPU/GPU comination (i3-8100) to operate correctly in their driver.  Its device id is 0x3e918086 which is explicitly listed in the Info.plist for both CFLGraphicsFramebuffer and KBLGraphics.  It has some associated ig-platform-ids.  AFAIK this device id is only used in the desktop i3 CPUs.  So what's your theory for their making the effort?

Just to reemphasize - my i3-8100 GPU works flawlessly with H310 chipset if I set Model ID to iMac19,2.  I don't have Lilu/WhateverGreen installed, and the only related kext patch is to enable HDMI audio on port 6.  This patch is optional in the sense that graphics would still work without it - but HDMI audio would be muted.  The framebuffer settings in the firmware I believe are set to "auto" - at least I don't remember tweaking them from the default.  I also use -disablegfxfirmware boot arg.  Last time I tried w/o it there was deadlock during boot, but that was many versions of macos ago.

PS

after further review, I found I also have DSDT patches to rename GFX0 to IGPU, HECI to IMEI

EDIT: After posting this, I have encountered graphics issues following a few reboots.  Specifically, there are display glitches before the login prompt appears and sometimes, the system boots to black screens (with monitors on).  Clearly, there is something that WEG does that I have not captured in these patches.  I am reverting to my WEG baseline and welcome any suggestions for running without WEG.  It's not that I don't like WEG - I just want to fully understand what it is doing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Zenith432 Your post inspired me to create a Clover config.plist for my UHD 630 that does not require WhateverGreen.  See here for the result.

Edited by tonyx86