EFI Not Mounting

Realitiblu

12 posts in this topic

So, I don't understand what's causing this. I had an issue where I needed to change my EFI files on High Sierra due to a booting issue. It was suggested at Hackintosher that I do a fresh install, so I decided to go for Mojave & had some issues with the drive not being seen by boot loader after the installation.

Today, I completely remade the flash drive and it booted first try! I'm typing from my system now - but Clover won't mount EFIs still & I'm at a loss. I'm so close to done but I don't know how to force the EFI partitions to show up.

12 hours ago, Gigamaxx said:

This issue has been coming up in Mojave with Clover Configurator app.   EFIMounter works and if you update Clover Configurator it seems to be working now.

with mac os 10.13.6+ the mount command needs to be executed as root, s that's why it happens, and also i am working on tool for that if you are interested https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/335138-therers-a-new-efi-partition-mounter-tool-in-town/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I am running Clover Configurator 5.3.2.0 and can not mount my EFI folder. I now have to boot of a USB because I can not fix my main EFI folder so it can boot. With Clover Configurator I can not mount anything :-(

Here is my disklist:

➜  /Volumes diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         499.9 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +499.9 GB   disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            269.3 GB   disk1s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 65.1 MB    disk1s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                1.0 GB     disk1s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      2.1 GB     disk1s4

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *4.0 TB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Data                    4.0 TB     disk2s2

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *15.6 GB    disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install macOS Mojave    15.3 GB    disk3s2

➜  /Volumes sudo diskutil mountDisk disk0s1
One or more volume(s) failed to mount

I also tried EFI Mounter V3 and EFI Mounter Pro. Am I mounting the correct EFI volume?

Hi,

if you are not booted in safe mode (-x) then you should be able to mount EFI partition. I assume that you have only one HDD with EFI partition then try the following command

sudo diskutil mount EFI

to unmount EFI partition you can issue the following command

sudo diskutil umount EFI

NOTE: sudo temporary switches into 'administrator' account which is required to mound a partition.

If nothing else works you always can use live Linux and manually mount required partition and edit configuration file manually (works every time). A good live Linux distributions is Knoppix -- just get 8GB flash drive and you ready to go.

osx151212

Edited by osx151212

Hi,

in your output of 'diskutil list' I see 3 EFI partitions (disk0s1, disk2s1, disk3s1).

disk3s1 is external disk, probably USB drive which you can disconnect before mounting EFI partition (if you do not boot from USB drive)

You require to know what EFI partition you boot from before mounting it (otherwise your changes will have no effect).

When you installed Clover boot loader you was offered to select a OSX disk (with a name) to install boot loader -- if you remember name then you will see in the 'diskutil list' output a  partition with same name, it is a clue.

Once you know what partition you want to mount then issue following commands (substitute _ on proper disk number).

sudo
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount -t msdos /dev/disk_s1 /Volumes/EFI

to unmount /Volumes/EFI issue the following command

sudo diskutil umount EFI

NOTE: to have several EFI partitions on work system is not good idea -- it will create confusion, Clover can find kexts/configuration files on a partition which you do not take into account at boot time. Very un-recommended approach.

Better to have one EFI partition on HDD and one on USB drive for 'recovery' purpose (connect USB drive before booting for recovery purpose and boot from it, otherwise connect USB drive only after the system booted up -- in this case you know for sure that HDD EFI partition was used to boot the system).

osx151212

Edited by osx151212

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 4:22 AM, ITzTravelInTime said:

with mac os 10.13.6+ the mount command needs to be executed as root, s that's why it happens, and also i am working on tool for that if you are interested https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/335138-therers-a-new-efi-partition-mounter-tool-in-town/

I just signed up to thank you... that was driving me crazy LOL

• 1 month later...

I am running Yosemite on one drive and managed to install a bootable High Sierra USB. It just does not seem to install to the target drive. This one is now not recognized by disk utilities and does not appear as bootable drive. The application is formatted to AFPS. Maybe the target drive is not reactive anymore because it was not formatted the right way?