3 Partitions to One?

neckarb

12 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I have a slight problem, i have three partitions on my MacBookPro. One for Vista, one for OSX Tiger and One for OSX Leo. anyway i would like to take them all back to one without formatting so that i can go back to using bootcamp with just two partitions, any ideas?

Currently

80GB- OSX Tiger

20GB- Windows Vista

20GB- OSX Leo Beta

Aim

80GB Tiger

40GB Vista

Without Reformatting Tiger

Thanks In advance, neckarb

There's this live linux cd in here:

http://puredyne.goto10.org/

It might have a partition editor. If not, there is also a gnome partition editor live cd, but I don't know if you can startup from it in a macbook pro.

It's here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps..

be careful tho - GPT partitioning systems write pretend masterbootrecord partition info, and older MBR-based tools may make you think they can edit the partitions whereas in fact they are not, as they are not GPT-aware.

try to find some GPT partition editing software.

EDIT: Wait, i just re-read your original post. So you dont mind losing your Vista install? Bootcamp Assistant should let youre-merge all your partitions into one, then when you next run it, it should let you create a partition for Vista again, all without breaking Tiger....

thanks for the hlep. i just read what munky said about using bootcamp to put my partitions back, but when you run bootcamp it comes up with something along the lines of you have too many partitions please reformat blah blah, basically bootcamp will only work when you have 1 or 2 paritions? any other ideas. i dont care about loosing all data except tiger paritions? any ideas?

Try formatting vista and leopard partitions as HFS+ in Mac OS and go back to bootcamp..

Can u use fdisk? if so, then use the fdisk to print partition table and write it down on paper. Then, use fdisk to edit the partition table. It is relatively easy.

BTW, u can practice merging, deleting partition all u want with in-memory version. Just don't do "write" or "quit".

i dont think fdisk is GPT-aware. its rather dangerous, as GPT writes 'pretend' MBR data, so MBR-only (ie non-GPT-aware) apps will think they can modify them.

basically, unless the software you use is GPT-aware (and you're SURE it is), you might completely fux0r your install ;)

Sorry, but what is GPT?

Grand Prix Tour? I'm just kidding :pirate2: Yes, I agree that it can be dangerous.

i dont think fdisk is GPT-aware. its rather dangerous, as GPT writes 'pretend' MBR data, so MBR-only (ie non-GPT-aware) apps will think they can modify them.

basically, unless the software you use is GPT-aware (and you're SURE it is), you might completely fux0r your install :gathering: