Installing Mojave beta 3 on a MacPro5,1 with a GTX 1080 Tii

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am currently trying to run the Mojave installer from a USB stick on my machine (MacPro5,1 with a GTX 1080 Ti inside).

I have absolutely no issue running High Sierra, but it looks like the Mojave installer hangs, most probably when looking for a graphic card (very end of the boot process).

My question is simple:

Has anyone succeeded booting Mojave installer with an NVIDIA card that is not supported?

Edited by MinusZwei

2 hours ago, MinusZwei said:

Hi all,

I am currently trying to run the Mojave installer from a USB stick on my machine (MacPro5,1 with a GTX 1080 Ti inside).

I have absolutely no issue running High Sierra, but it looks like the Mojave installer hangs, most probably when looking for a graphic card (very end of the boot process).

My question is simple:

Has anyone succeeded booting Mojave installer with an NVIDIA card that is not supported?

Hi thereو

Are you using a real MacPro 5,1 or it's a hack with MacPro5,1 SMBIOS?

I was able to install Mojave on my IvyBridge rig with an EVGA 1070, have you tried using nv_disable=1 boot flag to boot into the installer?

I also use the AGD Ppatch in the config.plist to avoid the black screen.

4 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Are you using a real MacPro 5,1 or it's a hack with MacPro5,1 SMBIOS?

I was able to install Mojave on my IvyBridge rig with an EVGA 1070, have you tried using nv_disable=1 boot flag to boot into the installer?

I also use the AGD Ppatch in the config.plist to avoid the black screen.

It is a hack with MacPro5,1 SMBIOS (basically a clone of the 6 core version).

I also used nv_disable=1 on the boot command-line, but I am using Enoch as bootloader and not Clover... (for various reasons)

I will poke around a few settings tonight and also try to see if the latest Clover changes the situation.

If I am able to boot using Clover, I will have to see what's wrong inside Enoch (which is something I usually help ErmaC at this time of the year... :)

15 minutes ago, MinusZwei said:

It is a hack with MacPro5,1 SMBIOS (basically a clone of the 6 core version).

I also used nv_disable=1 on the boot command-line, but I am using Enoch as bootloader and not Clover... (for various reasons)

I will poke around a few settings tonight and also try to see if the latest Clover changes the situation.

If I am able to boot using Clover, I will have to see what's wrong inside Enoch (which is something I usually help ErmaC at this time of the year... :)

Well I'm not sure about Enoch I never used it :P, I was using Chameleon back in the day but not anymore (which I understand is similar to Enoch or maybe enoch is a new better version of it).

I believe the nv_disable is also included in Enoch as well as clover so the issue must be something else. or it's the GraphicsEnabler=No

Can you path certain kexts with enoch like clover's Kext and Kernel Patches if so the AGDP patch might work on enoch as well.

Edited by Cyberdevs

I have macOS Mojave 10.14 beta 3 booted with Clover 4586 on a SMBIOS MacPro5,1 using an Nvidia ASUS GTX 970 Strix, Supermicro X8-SAX, and Intel Core i7 980X. Clearly no Metal support yet, but everything else seems to work fine (haven't tested sleep yet, it has been broken since 10.13 anyway so not holding out high hopes).  No settings changes to Clover made since 10.13 install. It was a vanilla upgrade, new version of Clover and the Mojave install on the same reboot.

Screenshot 2018-07-04 at 12.19.49.png

Edited by fcx56

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 6:25 PM, fcx56 said:

I have macOS Mojave 10.14 beta 3 booted with Clover 4586 on a SMBIOS MacPro5,1 using an Nvidia ASUS GTX 970 Strix, Supermicro X8-SAX, and Intel Core i7 980X. Clearly no Metal support yet, but everything else seems to work fine (haven't tested sleep yet, it has been broken since 10.13 anyway so not holding out high hopes).  No settings changes to Clover made since 10.13 install. It was a vanilla upgrade, new version of Clover and the Mojave install on the same reboot.

Screenshot 2018-07-04 at 12.19.49.png

Same Here - upgraded from my 10.13 (using clover 4359, Gigabyte Z97 Mobo and I& chip, NV1060, etc.)  

All ran fine, apart from no metal support - thus no acceleration.  Its useable (ish)

Edited by bobble999
grammar and updated my sig/build info

• 1 month later...