HD6770 working in Lion but not El Capitan

Mackeril

4 posts in this topic

I have a dual boot system of Lion (10.7.5) and El Capitan (10.11.6) on a MacPro 1,1 converted to 2,1 with 2x 3GHz Quad Core 5160 Xeons, 32gbs of ram, and a pikefy efi 64bit bootloader. When I first installed my HD 6770 1gb it posted in both systems as an AMD 5000 series. So, wanting to cosmetically change that info in my "about this mac" section of EL CAPITAN, I decided to fix what wasn't broken by downloading kext beast and using this pkg to install HD6770_QE_CI_10.11.6 kext. All went well until restart..then the fans all sped up while the system attempted a reboot, but it wouldn't restart on its own. I had to manually turn it off to kill the fans and then restart. I tried to reboot into El Capitan but now all I get is a flashing led on my black screen monitor...and no post. So I pulled the 6770 out and reinserted my trusty 9800GT and it posted in El Capitan fine and at least got my screen back. When I went to uninstall the newer AMD5000Controller.kext, the root terminal operation told me the kext wasn't found in my systems/library /extensions folder. But when I looked, it was there. Something weird happening. I probably should have left well enough alone but, like most, I wanted it to show what the video system had. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this ATI HD6770 1gb to work with El Capitan? I did not attempt the same procedure with Lion and left it alone. It continues to work with this ATI HD 6770 1gb card showing AMD 5000 series. TIA

Edited by Mackeril

Thanks but how do I add (edit) this ID to my ATI5000Controller.kext??

No more need to flashing HD 6770 into HD 5770 to have QE/CI !!!

So just add your ID (0x68BA1002) into ATI5000Controller.kext, ATI6000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext

Edited by Mackeril
need clarification on how to add data to kexts

• 2 weeks later...