Clover & Custom SMBIOS on Real Macs

applCore

5 posts in this topic

Yesterday's WWDC has set a huge number of real Mac owners into an angry spiral. Many users have systems that are good enough to run 10.14, but are now excluded for likely largely financial and marketing positioning from Apple. For example 2009 Mac Pros with Metal capable video cards shouldn't be blocked whatsoever, but there are many others too who should be pretty much fine if they're not doing serious gaming or animation on their iMacs or Mac Minis.

We need to start figuring out or pulling together some instructions (if it's already possible) for real Macs to run Clover and to define custom SMBIOS entries. Basically I'm 100% on board with running real Macs as Hackintosh systems at this point. I'm not willing to flush over $20,000 of Apple hardware down the toilet, especially when these systems still run faster than most current systems and are working great for even VR game dev.

Can someone give some insight as to what may need to be done to start moving down this road now so we can start testing this out now on spare systems that have been blacklisted by Apple?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, applCore said:

Basically I'm 100% on board with running real Macs as Hackintosh systems at this point. I'm not willing to flush over $20,000 of Apple hardware down the toilet, especially when these systems still run faster than most current systems and are working great for even VR game dev.

Hi,

I appreciate you voicing out your opinion to people like me and the public. I really do agree that old "Mojave"compatible machines should be supported instead of being put into the toilet as you say.

Many of the older machines are more than capable of running new Apple Software for years to come.

For Apple it's all about money, and will always be about money.

Regards,

Mohamed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To chime in on this, i might finally sell off my trusty 2011 2.0GHz 15" HiRes MBP which should be more than potent enough to run 10.14 and get a regular laptop to convert into a Hackintosh (which might be even easier to accomplish than what OP suggested).

So if Apple is sticking the middle finger to us users, i'm sticking it right back at them! Go f**k yourself, little Timmy! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, roiplek said:

To chime in on this, i might finally sell off my trusty 2011 2.0GHz 15" HiRes MBP which should be more than potent enough to run 10.14 and get a regular laptop to convert into a Hackintosh (which might be even easier to accomplish than what OP suggested).

So if Apple is sticking the middle finger to us users, i'm sticking it right back at them! Go f**k yourself, little Timmy! 

I successfully installed on my HP ProBook 640 G1 Haswell 4300m i5 with HD4600 works great.    I got a deal on it as a refurb $240 US I added a optical drive converter to SATA and now it’s a dual boot with Mojave and windows 10 pro.    W10 pro alone is $130 so the laptop was really only $110 for a workable solution and true windows 10 performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I installed clover on a High Sierra disk.   I removed the drivers64 and 64efi folders and removed all fixes form Congo.plist and used only the system definition.   Its a MacBook Pro 5.1, I used symbols MacBook Pro 9,2 and it worked.    Just make sure to remove all drivers and fixes and use only the Congo.plist system definition only., Oh and I forgot inject Nvidia + true.   for the 9400gs.

I tried with Mojave but I was getting kernel panic due to CPU core2duo, fake CPUID resulted in the kernel not loading +++++++++++++..

Edited by Gigamaxx
  • Like 1