Nvidia backlight control on HP OMEN ce003na

Jacie950

53 posts in this topic

When switching to macOS driver, I can have internal display, no external display detected, no brightness control available.

EDIT: tried again to switch to macOS driver, but somehow the change didn't take effect.

Should we try to remove my ACPI patched files? (as those are still in place) Maybe the patches being applied have something wrong.

Attached IOReg when disabling Nvidia Web drivers in Clover config plist.

ioreg-no-webdriver.ioreg

Edited by vanadium

Hello!

I have cleaned up your Clover folder a bit, removed some driversuefi64...., reverted to bios.aml (backup), moved some kexts/other to k/backup, because of bios.aml not working and spaming, audio not necessary at this stage, double injecting usb). Added common kernelpatches. Hopefully you can boot with the attachment.

CLOVER.zip

Nice, some steps forward, GTX seems to be fully working, black screen issue passed, backliight is working. I suggest, that I try, to make a correct efistring for your card, espaccally, there si no port mapped to the internal screen iin your last ioreg (00 00 00 00). It shuld be: 02 00 00 00 with an connector config 00 03 01 03 (have to look for it) to get the AppleBacklightDisplay an the Brightness slider working (keys are a acpi thing). For this I would need some days.

Meanwhile you could try to patch an all in one DSDT.aml, but with no gfx-related DSM methods. for the USBports you could follow this method: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/335018-intel-fb-patcher-v163/

No need for using USBinjet.... or SSDT anymore.

If your internal screnn is brighter as the sun you can search for a release of this app: https://github.com/KAMIKAZEUA/NativeDisplayBrightness

For creating an Efi-String for your NVDA GTX I would need a report of Darwin Dumper: https://bitbucket.org/blackosx/darwindumper/downloads/

How do you think about it?

Black screen has never been an issue without ACPI patching. Once ACPI patched to fix brightness, then I have black screen issues. GTX is indeed fully working with Nvidia Web drivers :)  The internal display seems to be connected via a Display Port on port #2 (Display-C). My external Display port screen is mapped to port #3 (Display-D) in IOReg.

Glad you can spend some time on this, the Helios 500 is really a beast I would love to be able to run on macOS. And i'm sure other people who already enjoy this powerful laptop will love it even more.

I'm going to follow the links you provided and keep you informed about any progress I may have made on my side.

EDIT: Darwin Dump report removed. if you need it, PM me.

Edited by vanadium

Please also note I have a modded bios (using CH341A programmer): I had to disable thunderbolt from advanced hidden menu to be able to successfully boot the Helios 500 on macOS. (otherwise it ends very prematurely during memory mapping)

Regarding the Intel FB Patcher, i'm not sure to understand what you mean about "all in one DSDT" and "USBPort": is it a way to be able to get ride of USB kext as well as SSDT patching? Sorry if i'm not that good, 3 weeks ago I knew pretty much nothing about hackintosh until I deep dived into to try to make my laptop work!

EDIT: going to follow the Intel FB tutorial and try to make a good DSDT with proper USB and audio configuration.

Tried Native Brightness: works fine with external Acer monitor! Freezes the computer when trying to adjust the internal screen brightness... Sadly!

Edited by vanadium

Yes to get rid of usbinject all and the ssdt edit and lso the portlimit patch. Your device seems to be a beast for me. I think by elminating unused ports you should stay in the limit. Run FBpatcher and inserert in all available ports usb device (usb2/3/c) The ports get highlighted. Look up in your bios.aml for devices with this name. On Asus lappy on see for  values in column:

The first one: 0xFF (meaning internal)

Zero (USB2) or 0x03 (USB3) 0x09 (USBc bidirectional) 0x0A (unidirectional)

0x00 Should not be for interest

0x00         " - "

The port with the bluetoothdevice you should set to internal (0xFF dec 255)

Have fun.

Hello!

Nice to hear, an other small pice of the cake.

In one thing i would be interested. Is it possible for you to boot without weg.  This does not infect your system permanently. Do the following: At clover bootscreen press the right cursor key of the keybord to navigate to options, press enter or space and on the next page one time enter. Then enter the bootflag -wegoff. Press enter and navigate with the coursor down key to return. One the first page select boot with injected kexts. If you can successfully boot look in ioreg for the nvap vakue, it has changed. After first successful boot reboot then, add the same bootflag, but on first page select boot without injected kexts. The other thing whalt you could also try is, set bootflag as above, in menu graphics select inject nvda by pressing space, back on first page first and second boot as before, but the second won you have to select inject nvda an other time and also looking for differences in nvcap.

12 minutes ago, vanadium said:

Doesn't boot without injected kexts. (Do I need to install FakeSMC and other "vital" kexts in /L/E or /S/L/E?)

No, weg has been removed from the ram cache at second boot. Has nothing to do with fakesmc, but with one of the nvda kexts (startup or resman)

Hello!

You should also find origin ACPI (dumped using clover + F4) in previous posts

I have seen them, sorry, but I had your patched ACPI files in my brain and have not nearer looked at orgin ones. I have found in your at the end posted Ioreg the GFX0 ghost devices. The reason for that was the, as I think now,  wrong renaming GFX0 to IGPU, which I have also removed in the attached config.plist. The by me before removed patch PEGP to GFX was also necsesary. Hopefully this will work now for getting a 00 04.... for your LVDS display. The endless nvda display,..  line should be gone.

All the best.

config.plist.zip

Hi, Thanks I have updated my config.plist to use the latest you provided. Here is an ioreg with nvidia-single enabled in clover options. Please find also original ACPI dumped with Clover F4 before booting. Any attempt to boot with -wegoff with this config.plist results in black screen.

nvidia-single.ioreg

ACPI.zip

Here is another ioreg dump with nvidia single disabled.

nvidia-single-disabled.ioreg

Besides, which information are you looking for? Maybe If I understand what you need I can be more helpful :)

Edited by vanadium

4 hours ago, vanadium said:

I have updated my config.plist to use the latest you provided.

Okay. This has resulted in many Displays@.... with missing GFX0 device, killed from your ACPI tables.

The activated

Here is another ioreg dump with nvidia single disabled.

That seems to be a good finding. Your GFX0 device is no in the tree under ...PCI0.PEG0.GFX0 in correct order.The problem is now to get at NVDA Display @C2 connector typ info, looking like this: connector-type   Data    02 00 00 00 (correct for internal display)  looking like 00 04 00 00 (your internal recognized as external display on DP, at least 00 00 00 00 (only showing up for there is a unkown one).

What you can do is dive in my brain, for information, that i can not remember now. But they slowly come a bit back. More then five years away from the Hackintosh scene. But I have used along this time a rock solid built on 10.10.5.

Joke besides is what you could try by yourself with at ever activated lilu + weg - nvidia single disabled, connet your external display (the app you have used has reduced brightness), try the app on internal LVDS, at clover bootmenu (pressing space) select check nv_disable, save mode, varios combinatios of this options, activate Clover nvda injection, try if native brighness app is working on internal LVDS in this way.

No need to post ioregs, if there are no sgnificant changes in it (showing up connector-type or working native brightness app on LVDS) within this trys.

Good luck.

Edited by styrian

Hello all,

I have an HP OMEN 15-dc0124tx,GTX1060,  It's running macOS High Sierra and Sierra 10.12.6 dual OS on same hard disk.

CLOVER boot loader with patch ACPI ("@1,built-in")
10.12.6:  brightness controls effect,  the screen flicker random, the external display is the main display!
10.13.6:  internal display stuck on Apple logo, mouse can be moved on it, the main display is laptop!
316982247_ScreenShot2018-11-21at10_12_20AM.png.92cf565683df643a24fcf87d8f6210ad.png
1801249726_ScreenShot2018-11-23at12_38_42AM.png.6f465435a52151c7f3244c241bdfb52e.pngIMG_0584.thumb.PNG.737bab8ec17f4387bf22cc6505d1ef35.PNG350845567_ScreenShot2018-11-23at12_38_06AM.png.a1091b8f0ff1c9fa70229024290feabc.png
CLOVER boot loader without patch ACPI
10.12.6:  web driver working, Brightness controls no effect,  no flicker
10.13.6:  web driver working, Brightness controls no effect,  no flicker
1690463608_ScreenShot2018-11-23at12_21_28AM.png.655e41e20c2e047ebc1ede07023aab57.png
Edited by mail_hxm

• 1 month later...