SOLVED skylake-random-reboots

Henties

30 posts in this topic

Hi @Allan The original thread disappeared. Here is the URL I cannot reach it anymore.  The config.plist which you sent me causes the system to hang solid when it is booting.

I took a screenshot of the boot message but am not able to upload the image to you. I get this message when I try to upload the screenshot even after I compressed it.  "There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"

Panic reasons.jpeg

Edited by Henties
Incomplete message

4 hours ago, Allan said:

Test this: config.plist.zip

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

There are problems with the board I think. will try again later.

To recap your config.plist causes the system to hang solid the screenshot I took fails to upload, so I am stuck

39 minutes ago, Henties said:

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

There are problems with the board I think. will try again later.

To recap your config.plist causes the system to hang solid the screenshot I took fails to upload, so I am stuck

Hi @Allan I managed to get my Skylake build to boot after I removed the check mark "Drop OEM" from the ACPI SSDT section of your config.plist file you sent me.

Will try to attach the modified config.plist to this post, but uploading of files seems broken.

Greets

Oh it worked, so it appears only certain file types fail to upload. trying to upload the screenshot of the boot messages fails with this message "There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"

config.plist 2.zip

Hi @Allan Thanks for your reply. At the moment I am using the config.plist file that you sent me earlier, on the thread that just disappeared/vanished into thin air. All I needed to do was to remove Drop OEM from the SSDT section, screenshot below refers. With Drop OEM the machine locks up during bootup. I am now monitoring wake from sleep as the blue image reveals, so far my Skylake hack survived 4 hours with 2 darkwake and 1 user wake sleep count. It was behaving the same way also with my config. The freeze or reboots usually happened when the machine was in "undisturbed" sleep mode  for longer periods.

Will continue monitoring and let you know what happens. Will now study what the changes that you applied to the config.plist file actually do, so that I do not loose track about my configuration and the purpose for each one of the items. I like to know :-)

Any place you recommend I could start reading ?

On another thread I noticed that @Mieze "the beloved cat" :-) developed a SSDT-AMD.aml to fix sleep problems with AMD hardware, but I don't know if this this still applies to High Sierra 10.13.4 anymore since Apple has reworked the AMD drivers for this build making the RX-580 card ostensibly supported OOB.

Your or @Mieze's take on that?

Greets

sleep monitoring.jpeg

Drop OEM unticked.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Henties said:

Hi @Allan That's fair but maybe @Mieze can enlighten us on the SSDT-AMD.aml she developed prior to the release of macOS 10.13.4 

For a detailed explanation of the AMD wakeup patch please see the corresponding forum thread or simply add Radeon DeInit to your Clover config file as it doesn't have any negative side effects even in case it's not needed.

Mieze

6 minutes ago, Mieze said:

For a detailed explanation of the AMD wakeup patch please see the corresponding forum thread or simply add Radeon DeInit to your Clover config file as it doesn't have any negative side effects even in case it's not needed.

Mieze

Hi @Mieze Thanks will try that should I continue to have random sleep wake-up problems and after I have tested @Allan 's config.plist more thoroughly.

Greets

Edited by Henties

1 minute ago, Henties said:

Hi @Mieze Thanks will try that should I continue to have random sleep wake-up problems and after I have tested @Allan 's config.plist more thoroughly.

Greets

Also keep in mind that AMD Radeon related wakeup issues might be related to incorrect connector data or at, least on recent hardware, to MST/SST displays too.

Mieze

26 minutes ago, Mieze said:

Also keep in mind that AMD Radeon related wakeup issues might be related to incorrect connector data or at, least on recent hardware, to MST/SST displays too.

Mieze

OK thanks, this is a bit over my head but I will dig in and indulge in some heavy reading on that. I am using 2 x LG-27UD58 IPS displays each connected to a DP port on my video  card, which is a Radeon RX-580 Strix,  so the MST/SST might not apply in my case. What bothers me are the panics as per the attachment. These also happened when I was still using a Nvidia GTX-970, card prior to swapping that with the AMD RX-580. So I wander whether looking for a "graphics" solution/problem, might not be the correct avenue to pursue.

Greets

Panic reasons.jpeg

Edited by Henties
MST correction Multi stream transport

1 hour ago, MaLd0n said:

u can post one full dump here?

RunMe.app.zip

Hi @MaLd0n thanks for assisting me in trying to get my Skylake build stable when waking from sleep. The dump is attached. I had to split the file into 3 files for the update to work.

Holding thumbs.

Greets

Send me workshop.zip

ACPI.zip

CLOVER.zip

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Henties said:

Hi @MaLd0n thanks for assisting me in trying to get my Skylake build stable when waking from sleep. The dump is attached. I had to split the file into 3 files for the update to work.

Holding thumbs.

Greets

Send me workshop.zip

ACPI.zip

CLOVER.zip

take a shot

CLOVER.zip

check clover/kexts/other

after reboot, send me new DUMP

12 minutes ago, MaLd0n said:

take a shot

CLOVER.zip

check clover/kexts/other

after reboot, send me new DUMP

Hi @MaLd0n Some questions.

On board audio is disabled using HDMI audio via Lilu.kext 1.2.3 and WhateverGreen.kext 1.1.8 in /L/E HDMI audio works well with excellent fidelity.

Therefore I believe AppleALC.kext is not needed ?

I use Shiki.kext 2.2.6 also in /L/E with shikigva=16 as "custom flag" to prevent iTunes from crashing - tested and working.

I Use @Mieze 's latest 2.4.0d0 in /L/E will move that to /Clover.../other.

I am not using USBInjectAll.kext. at all, my USB configuration is embedded in the info.plist file of GA-Z170X-UD3-USB.kext  in /L/E. My ioreg will reveal that my USB setup is for 11 ports well within the 15 port limit. This has always worked well for this mobo starting with Sierra beta releases.

I would be hesitant to use the USBInjectAll USB configuration method at this stage - unless you decide otherwise of cause.

The AirportBrcmFixup.kext is removed altogether as it is used to set country information for WiFi to #a - not crytical at this stage I think.  WiFi is disabled presently.

What I suggest is removing my kexts in /L/E do a kextcache -i / update and use your kexts in /Clover../other instead,  except USBInjectAll.kext and AppleALC.kext.

Busy doing that and will send a new RunMe dump in a moment.

Greets

39 minutes ago, Henties said:

Hi @MaLd0n Some questions.

On board audio is disabled using HDMI audio via Lilu.kext 1.2.3 and WhateverGreen.kext 1.1.8 in /L/E HDMI audio works well with excellent fidelity.

Therefore I believe AppleALC.kext is not needed ?

I use Shiki.kext 2.2.6 also in /L/E with shikigva=16 as "custom flag" to prevent iTunes from crashing - tested and working.

I Use @Mieze 's latest 2.4.0d0 in /L/E will move that to /Clover.../other.

I am not using USBInjectAll.kext. at all, my USB configuration is embedded in the info.plist file of GA-Z170X-UD3-USB.kext  in /L/E. My ioreg will reveal that my USB setup is for 11 ports well within the 15 port limit. This has always worked well for this mobo starting with Sierra beta releases.

I would be hesitant to use the USBInjectAll USB configuration method at this stage - unless you decide otherwise of cause.

The AirportBrcmFixup.kext is removed altogether as it is used to set country information for WiFi to #a - not crytical at this stage I think.  WiFi is disabled presently.

What I suggest is removing my kexts in /L/E do a kextcache -i / update and use your kexts in /Clover../other instead,  except USBInjectAll.kext and AppleALC.kext.

Busy doing that and will send a new RunMe dump in a moment.

Greets

Hi @MaLd0n Done all the changes but cannot boot the machine. It ends in pitch black screens . Cannot access via remote desktop and can also not ping the machine. Will have to first restore to a working state. and take it from there maybe one step at a time.

Contact you later when I can access the machine again, either via remote desktop - VNC or direct boot.

greets

5 hours ago, MaLd0n said:

disable a csm in bios, whatevergreen have all patches

MaLd0n 2018-04-29 às 18.30.02.png

Hi @MaLd0n I managed to get my Skylake build running with your configuration files as well as your DSDT.aml. All my previous functionality has been retained. Now I need to test sleep and see if the random freezes/lockups when waking the machine, after it has been sleeping a considerable length of time, has also been resolved.

Something tells me its all fixed. THANK YOU, a genius at work.

Give me a few days to test, and if all goes well we can close this topic. I am very tired now and will come back again after having had some sleep.

There is a problem with sudo kextcache -i / This seemed to have crept in with the C17E202 security update, but finally got it working.. Kindly have a look at the latest output files generated by your RunMe script and then please let me know if I should apply some more patches that you consider necessary.  Later on I would like to know what patches you applied to the DSDT.aml so that I can generate my own if I ever have to such as for instance when there is another bios upgrade. I am presently on bios version F23g. and I don't yhink it will stay there.

Signing off at 4.30 am here in Namibia.

Greetings and once again THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU and for @Mieze I attached my own Mieze :-)

ACPI.zip

CLOVER.zip

Send me workshop.zip

DSC_2162.jpg

Edited by Henties

Hi @MaLd0n Skylake crashed already 2 times after I have woken it from sleep. Here is a new dump after I removed AirportBrcmFixup.kext from /Clover.../other. I also removed its argument brcmfx-country=#a.

Now my configuration is exactly as you suggested. Will reboot and run RunMe again. Thereafter the presence of  AirportBrcmFixup.kext should not be detectable in the dump. New F2 and F4 keypress at Clover menu. @Mieze 's IntelMausiEthernet.kext is still in /L/E where I believe it belongs unless you tell me otherwise of cause. A copy of FakeSMC.kext is also in /L/E to ensure that it is in the cache.

Greets

Send me workshop.zip

CLOVER.zip

ACPI.zip

Edited by Henties

5 hours ago, Henties said:

Hi @MaLd0n Skylake crashed already 2 times after I have woken it from sleep. Here is a new dump after I removed AirportBrcmFixup.kext from /Clover.../other. I also removed its argument brcmfx-country=#a.

Now my configuration is exactly as you suggested. Will reboot and run RunMe again. Thereafter the presence of  AirportBrcmFixup.kext should not be detectable in the dump. New F2 and F4 keypress at Clover menu. @Mieze 's IntelMausiEthernet.kext is still in /L/E where I believe it belongs unless you tell me otherwise of cause. A copy of FakeSMC.kext is also in /L/E to ensure that it is in the cache.

Greets

Send me workshop.zip

CLOVER.zip

ACPI.zip

u can use all kexts in clover/kexts/other, work good there

DSDT.aml.zip

take a shot with IntelHDGraphics disable, just for check if problem is there

38 minutes ago, MaLd0n said:

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi @MaLd0n. Thanks for this DSDT.aml, will test it as soon as Skylake has frozen/crashed again after waking from sleep. At the moment I am testing to find out what effect the removal of AirportBrcmFixup.kext has on sleep stabiliry. This kext may not have been compiled by me against the same debug version of Lilu.kext that you used for the kexts that you provided me.

I have not as yet had further problems since that kext was removed. The screenshot refers, but it is early days still :-) Will slip it in as soon as Skylake plays up again and let you know.

Greets.

Sleep monitoring.jpeg

17 hours ago, MaLd0n said:

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi @MaLd0n after 21 hours of working well it crashed when I woke it from a long sleep. By a long sleep I mean that the machine was not used but left to wake, each hour or so, by itself. When I finally woke it by a keypress from the Apple BT keyboard the screens came on, I detected network activity on my network monitor and then all of a sudden it just shut down.

Attached please find:

RunMe dump in 3 parts

Crash report 01 May 2018 07-00 am

The RunMe dump was done with your new DSDT.aml that disables the IGPU.

In addition I removed the tick against "Inject Intel" as well as the connecterless id "0x19120001" from "the Ig-platform-id" setting in the config.plist file That should ensure that no attempt is made to access the IGPU (530) which I have disabled in BIOS as well.

I also updated Clover from 4444 -> 4449

The crash report seems to point to the WiFi/LPBT addon card as the culprit. I have 2 of these identical cards, one is operational in my Haswell build which is working like a dream. I have already swopped the cards around between the 2 machines but that did not solve the Skylake random reboots when waking from sleep problem. I even used different Pcie slots for the card but that also did not help. Nevertheless if you want me to I can do all that again.

Oh I forgot, I even unplugged  the USB  connector for the BT part of this card to disable bluetooth. I then used a CSR BT dongle, and the crashes continued.

So maybe I should now remove that card and use a wired keyboard and mouse as a test.  Your call however, I will do what the doctor orders :-)

Thanks for helping me.

Cheers

Crash report 01 May 2018 07-00.zip

Send me workshop.zip

CLOVER.zip

ACPI.zip

Edited by Henties

35 minutes ago, MaLd0n said:

i have same ramdom KP in HS in my MBP

MaLd0n 2018-05-01 às 13.03.47.png

Hi @MaLd0n thanks for your feedback, I never had a single KP when I use the machine,  only when I wake the machine from sleep after it has been sleeping unhindered for a lengthy bit of time and I then wake it. Today I have been using the machine continuously for almost 9 hours, doing all sort of things, with no problems whatsoever. Of cause I am using your DSDT.aml that disables the IGPU and I have also disabled it in config.plist as well as in bios. I think your KP in your MBP , a  real Apple I guess, is unrelated to what I experience on my Skylake hack. Will run test for a while longer to see what is happening without the IGPU. No your MBP is a hack I can see it from some of the kexts in the KP report.

My tests continue. Will not be at home tomorrow though, so the test can proceed without interference from me. :-)

Greets

Edited by Henties

2 minutes ago, Henties said:

Hi @MaLd0n thanks for your feedback, I never had a single KP when I use the machine,  only when I wake the machine from sleep after it has been sleeping unhindered for a lengthy bit of time and I then wake it. Today I have been using the machine continuously for almost 9 hours, doing all sort of things, with no problems whatsoever. Of cause I am using your DSDT.aml that disables the IGPU and I have also disabled it in config.plist as well as in bios. I think your KP in your MBP , a  real Apple I guess, is unrelated to what I experience on my Skylake hack. Will run

for a while longer to see what is happening without the IGPU. No your MBP is a hack I can see it from some of the kexts in the KP report.

My tests continue. Will not be at home tomorrow though, so the test can proceed without interference from me. :-)

Greets

in my case in MBP i think is a ssd kingston with apfs...but... xD